Motorway "NO ... " Signs

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

nowster
Treasurer

Re: Motorway "NO ... " Signs

Post by nowster »

What we in SABRE call the "happy car sign"?

eg. We could have
expressway_a55.png
expressway_a55.png (2.34 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
Berk

Post by Berk »

That would be OK, but I think folks would need educating about what it means. And certainly about what it doesn't mean.

Maybe it would need additional prohibitory signs (no horse-drawn vehicles/cyclists/pedestrians)?? Actually, the prohibitory signs could go on an additional board underneath.
Bit annoying, because it would make the cost of the signs more expensive.
Bristol

Post by Bristol »

I'd certainly be in favour of a "happy car" sign for some non-motorway special roads. The tunnel stretch of the A55 comes to mind for me too.

Meanwhile, here is my local motorway "NO" sign that I just remembered as I drove past today. I don't really see the point: for a pedestrian to even see that sign they'd have to wander on to the motorway anyway, and as for "no stopping" it's only a few yards before a traffic light!
exiled
President

Post by exiled »

The happy car would be a good addition to the sign family in the UK.

My main memory of the 'NO...' signs on motorways was not that long after the Republic of Ireland switched to metric units. On the on-slip we used on that holiday one of the 'NO..' signs had been patched to '50 km/h' the other still showed the obsolete mph restriction.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Fahad
SABRE Developer

Post by Fahad »

Bristol wrote:I'd certainly be in favour of a "happy car" sign for some non-motorway special roads. The tunnel stretch of the A55 comes to mind for me too.

Meanwhile, here is my local motorway "NO" sign that I just remembered as I drove past today. I don't really see the point: for a pedestrian to even see that sign they'd have to wander on to the motorway anyway, and as for "no stopping" it's only a few yards before a traffic light!
It's instructing people not to stop on the roundabout to drop passengers off
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

I encountered this oddity yesterday

It's odd for two reasons:
It only has pedestrians and stopping but not the other prohibitions. :confused:
It's on the roundabout at the M62/A627(M) junction so you've been on a motorway for miles when you see it. :confused:
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 13:11 I encountered this oddity yesterday

It's on the roundabout at the M62/A627(M) junction so you've been on a motorway for miles when you see it. :confused:
There's a few of them dotted around on motorway roundabouts (and almost roundabouts) to remind people that the roundabout itself is a motorway. There's some on M4 J8/9 and M4 J19 for example.
Last edited by Steven on Thu Apr 29, 2021 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Steven wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 13:37
the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 13:11 I encountered this oddity yesterday

There's a few of them dotted around on motorway roundabouts (and almost roundabouts) to remind people that the roundabout itself is a motorway. There's some one M4 J8/9 and M4 J19 for example.
Sometimes with the additional text "Motorway regulations still apply".
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
RJDG14

Post by RJDG14 »

The signs were common in the 1960s and 1970s when motorways were still relatively new, and are still seen in the Republic of Ireland today where most of their motorways are a similar age to what ours were then. I'd imagine they were quietly phased out since by the late 1970s/early 1980s people had become accustomed to what the motorway rules were.
RJDG14

See my Geograph profile here - http://www.geograph.org.uk/profile/74193
The Swindon Files - Swindon's modern history - http://rjdg14.altervista.org/swindon/

----
If I break a policy designed only to protect me and nobody else, have I really broken anything?
RJDG14

Post by RJDG14 »

There's a few of them dotted around on motorway roundabouts (and almost roundabouts) to remind people that the roundabout itself is a motorway. There's some on M4 J8/9 and M4 J19 for example.
I recall one junction, I think the M4 J19, has a clearway sign alongside the "motorway regulations still apply" one. Since stopping is prohibited under the motorway rules, the clearway sign shouldn't be needed and may even technically violate the motorway design regulations. This is the only place where I can think of an all-purpose clearway sign on a motorway.

This is slightly unrelated, but if a D2 trunk route becomes a motorway at a grade separated junction and there's a 10 metre gap between a clearway end sign and the motorway sign, would you be violating the road's code by stopping in that 10 metre gap? I think there are a few examples like this.
RJDG14

See my Geograph profile here - http://www.geograph.org.uk/profile/74193
The Swindon Files - Swindon's modern history - http://rjdg14.altervista.org/swindon/

----
If I break a policy designed only to protect me and nobody else, have I really broken anything?
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

I always assumed they dated back to when hitch-hiking was more common, to stop people being drop off/picked up on the roundabout.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

RJDG14 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 13:44
I recall one junction, I think the M4 J19, has a clearway sign alongside the "motorway regulations still apply" one. Since stopping is prohibited under the motorway rules, the clearway sign shouldn't be needed and may even technically violate the motorway design regulations. This is the only place where I can think of an all-purpose clearway sign on a motorway.

This is slightly unrelated, but if a D2 trunk route becomes a motorway at a grade separated junction and there's a 10 metre gap between a clearway end sign and the motorway sign, would you be violating the road's code by stopping in that 10 metre gap? I think there are a few examples like this.
Prior to being upgraded to A1(M) some sections of the A1 in Yorkshire had clearway signs.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

RJDG14 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 13:44

No, because there is a reasonable distance exemption permitted where signs might not correlate with the exact points of a TRO but for siting purposes the sign has to be further away - anything more than 10m would be taking a liberty but if you stopped between the two signs on purpose you'd still get a stern word from the police.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

RJDG14 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 13:44I recall one junction, I think the M4 J19, has a clearway sign alongside the "motorway regulations still apply" one. Since stopping is prohibited under the motorway rules, the clearway sign shouldn't be needed and may even technically violate the motorway design regulations. This is the only place where I can think of an all-purpose clearway sign on a motorway.
Orrell interchange has these little repeaters, but none include the clearway sign. There are some of the worded signs which do include the 'no stopping' legend, though, like the other ones that were mentioned.
Simon
the cheesecake man

:thumbsup: Aah yes the sign makes sense now. There are no such signs at the M1/M62, M18/A1(M),M18/M180 or M62/M60/M66 roundabouts. As suggested above perhaps it 's just because those were built later. Or perhaps there's some profound logic involved :pig:
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 19:17 :thumbsup: Aah yes the sign makes sense now. There are no such signs at the M1/M62, M18/A1(M),M18/M180 or M62/M60/M66 roundabouts. As suggested above perhaps it 's just because those were built later. Or perhaps there's some profound logic involved :pig:
Simister Island has them.

https://goo.gl/maps/WigT5UVDWJnnEU5q6

The repeater signs seen on the M6/M58 and A627(M)/M62 roundabouts are actually from Northern Ireland and are prescribed in the NI TSRGD. They are not prescribed here.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 19:17:thumbsup: Aah yes the sign makes sense now. There are no such signs at the M1/M62, M18/A1(M),M18/M180 or M62/M60/M66 roundabouts. As suggested above perhaps it 's just because those were built later. Or perhaps there's some profound logic involved :pig:
There's no standard sign for this, so they'll have been installed on a case by case basis, with a new sign being thought up for each location as different people came up with their own solutions in each case.

The M65 roundabouts BOTH HAVE VERY SHOUTY SIGNS.

M4 J8/9 has some too.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Such signs are generally erected in response to a particular local compliance issue. The M25 main carriageway at the Clackets Lane services had signage on the main carriageway hard shoulder prohibiting parking, which of course is always prohibited, but was an issue there with European HGVs doing so to evade the parking charges in the services. Later the shoulder was hatched off, and then semi-permanent concrete Jersey Barriers installed to eliminate the shoulder.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Roadc ... 4d0.038413
the cheesecake man

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 19:36 Simister Island has them.
D'oh! So it does. I must pay more attention next time. :facepalm: