[IRL] N25 - New Ross Bypass

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Johnathan404

Re: [IRL] N25 - New Ross Bypass

Post by Johnathan404 »

Tie-in
1.jpg
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Enceladus

Post by Enceladus »

Great drone footage of the Eastern section of the N25 New Ross bypass project. :) This will be a great road when open to traffic and a massive relief for the bottleneck town of New Ross.

Certified Roads Geek ... and proud of it!
odlum

Post by odlum »

odlum

Post by odlum »

Euan

Post by Euan »

The road should be a welcome relief for New Ross once it is open along with the new bridge over the River Barrow. Currently the town takes on traffic from just about the whole length of the south coast heading for Rosslaire and also up towards Enniscorthy and Gorey. As one of the main ferry ports on the island, Rosslaire will certainly become more accessible from cities and large towns along the south coast once the new road is open.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
odlum

Post by odlum »

odlum

Post by odlum »

Latest pic by Murnurty, boards.ie (taken from mainline). Due officially to open in Q4.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachm ... 1550079306
Euan

Post by Euan »

odlum wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 20:35 Latest pic by Murnurty, boards.ie (taken from mainline). Due officially to open in Q4.

I could be wrong, but does it look from that photo that the easternmost segment of the bridge now extends further than it did in the December pictures? The west side of the bridge looks fairly unchanged since December, as does the section isolated in the middle.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
bothar

Post by bothar »

odlum wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 20:35 Latest pic by Murnurty, boards.ie (taken from mainline). Due officially to open in Q4.

It will be a nice drive, sweeping down towards the bridge.
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
odlum

Post by odlum »

Euan wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 21:30

I could be wrong, but does it look from that photo that the easternmost segment of the bridge now extends further than it did in the December pictures? The west side of the bridge looks fairly unchanged since December, as does the section isolated in the middle.
https://i.imgur.com/bcs7Mad.jpg

This is current construction position
odlum

Post by odlum »

bothar

Post by bothar »

"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
Euan

Post by Euan »

bothar wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 22:10 Another view
https://i.imgur.com/TJBB9F6.jpg
It looks like decent progress. Hopefully it will be open soon.
odlum

Post by odlum »

Berk

Post by Berk »

Is that just one span across the river then??
Brownfools

Post by Brownfools »

So, the rest of the route is now all complete. Lit, lined and signed.
Now we're told that the bridge won't be ready until Q4 (how linguistically appropriate!)
This would make it somewhere between 3 and 6 months late. But, in a recent interview in the local paper (New Ross Standard) "we have not had any problems with the construction of the .....* bridge"

* replace dots with your preferred name. Which, likely as not, will not be the official one.
Euan

Post by Euan »

I would assume that there are no plans to open the rest of the bypass before the bridge is complete?

Presumably we would not be looking at something similar to that of the partial opening of the Aberdeen bypass before the Don crossing was finished.
Brownfools

Post by Brownfools »

Hi Euan,

I can't see much benefit in a partial opening on this one. The only section that could be opened is the section linking the N30 to the N25 east of New Ross. Everything else needs the bridge.
Opening this section in isolation would only serve to increase the traffic coming into New Ross on the N25, past Aldi, which kind of defeats the object.
I'm hoping that, when the bridge is complete, and before it opened to traffic, we are treated to a "pedestrian open day". The view from up there must be wonderful.
So, if the management team, or the local politicians are reading this (good luck in the elections) how about it?
Enceladus

Post by Enceladus »

Basically the river Barrow bridge is the last major element in the New Ross by-pass to be completed, as most of the road surface, lining and central barrier has already been finished, as can be seen in the photo below.

This road will really cut journey times between Wexford and Cork! :)

Certified Roads Geek ... and proud of it!
Viator

Post by Viator »

Enceladus wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 19:52 Image
Thanks for the photo, E! The (open-air) use of Sign F 803 'Emergency (Tunnel) Lay-by' is interesting. The nearside edge markings look as if they are white, but that could well be just an effect of the photographic rendition.