[IRL] N25 - New Ross Bypass

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Geogregor

[IRL] N25 - New Ross Bypass

Post by Geogregor »

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/new ... 47008.html
The construction of the €217m New Ross Bypass will not come at a price for local motorists, according to Minister of State Paul Kehoe.

A consortium of Dutch-firm BAM PPP, PGGM and Iridium has been chosen as preferred tender for the project, with work due to begin in mid-2015.

Over 300 men will be employed working on the 13.6km of dual carriageway (N25 and N30 routes) - and 1.2km of single carriageway - New Ross N30 route, and on the new bridge at Pink Rock which will be the biggest in Ireland.

The construction work will be undertaken by a BAM Civil and Dragados joint venture, with hopes that some local contracting firms will be employed throughout the two to three year construction period.

The road will bypass the town of New Ross on the N25 route and link the N25 with the N30 New Ross to Enniscorthy road.

Minister Kehoe said the bypass will remove a major bottleneck on the N25 route for traffic coming from Cork and Wexford.

The National Roads Authority has indicated its intention to use the European Investment Bank's Project Bond Credit Enhancement product as the financing scheme that BAM Iridium will use for the project.

BAM PPP is an operating company of Royal BAM Group, and is responsible for Royal BAM Group's involvement in the public-private partnership (PPP) market. PGGM is a co-operative Dutch pension fund service provider.

The work will involve a bridge over the River Barrow, a railway bridge at Glenmore, dual and single carriageway stretches of road and three roundabouts.

'It's one of the biggest single infrastructure projects ever undertaken in County Wexford. The Enniscorthy bypass is expected to have a preferred tender in place by early 2015, with construction to begin by the end of next year,' Minister Kehoe said adding that once the bypass is completed it will make a world of difference to commuters travelling from New Ross to Waterford and back every day
Route Map:
http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/R ... 141,en.pdf

Detailed alignment:
http://www.wexford.ie/largefiles/EIS/Vo ... to%20k.pdf

Does anyone know when are they going to sign contracts?
Does it include a design stage (like M17/M18) or is it going straight into construction phase?

Nothing more about the bridge? Any drawings or renders available, or is it still secret?
odlum

Re: [IRL] N25 - New Ross Bypass

Post by odlum »

Only picture available

Hopefully this will be redesignated to motorway soon.

But what this also means is that we will be back to boom time levels of motorway construction next year in terms of length.
jackal

Post by jackal »

odlum wrote: Hopefully this will be redesignated to motorway soon.

But what this also means is that we will be back to boom time levels of motorway construction next year in terms of length.
Is there any sign of this being motorway? Most of the junctions are roundabouts.
crowntown100

Post by crowntown100 »

jackal wrote:
odlum wrote: Hopefully this will be redesignated to motorway soon.

Is there any sign of this being motorway? Most of the junctions are roundabouts.
Isn't the long term plan for the N25 to all be upgraded to M25 from Cork to Wexford and the extended M11, meaning that the N30 bit won't become motorway but when the next section of the N25/M25 is built the roundabout will be dug up and a new junction put in where the N25 and N30 will meet.
Harry
Chris_533976

Post by Chris_533976 »

No medium/long term plan to make it M25, the AADTs just don't justify it. 2+2 with some GSJs and the rest roundabouts will more than suffice for the next 20 - 30 years I reckon.

New Ross will be Irelands longest and most impressive bridge by quite a margin.
nirs

Post by nirs »

Chris_533976 wrote:New Ross will be Irelands longest and most impressive bridge by quite a margin.
Looks like it will be the longest in Ireland all right if the NRA's web page is correct ("900 metres") but not by much of a margin - the Foyle Bridge in Derry is 866 metres long, which is only slightly shorter.
Northern Ireland Roads Site www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads
loch_cuan73

Post by loch_cuan73 »

Will this be Ireland's 1st extradosed bridge (cross between a cable stay and box girder)? The picture does look good.

Good to hear something's happening with this now. I priced some temporary works for a sub-contractor about a year ago and have heard nothing since.

It will certainly help the centre of New Ross. Stayed close to there last year and the town does suffer from the major bottleneck at the bridge.
Geogregor

Post by Geogregor »

loch_cuan73 wrote:Will this be Ireland's 1st extradosed bridge (cross between a cable stay and box girder)? The picture does look good.

Good to hear something's happening with this now. I priced some temporary works for a sub-contractor about a year ago and have heard nothing since.

It will certainly help the centre of New Ross. Stayed close to there last year and the town does suffer from the major bottleneck at the bridge.
I know about one recently opened extradosed bridge on the N3 Belturbet Bypass.
But it is not a particularly large structure.

I have a few questions about the Irish tendering procedures.

In Poland after choosing preferred bidder there is 30 days for competitors to fill official complains.
If there is a complain the Road Authority can accept it and choose other bidder or reject the protest.
If there are no complains there is 30 days for control of the tender by the National Procurement Agency (a public body which has to check and approve any large tender in the country)
Then there is contract signing and finally contractor gets access to the site.
That's if I remember correctly.

How does it look in Ireland?
When can we realistically expect any movement on the ground. In the article there is mention of "mid 2015" but it is a bit vague.
Do you have any strict time limits in such tendering process?
Were there any other bidders?
Can they protest and delay the whole thing?

EDIT:
On page 14 of this document:
http://www.eib.org/infocentre/register/all/52323257.pdf

I found this info:
The Barrow Bridge will be an Extrados Type Bridge and is illustrated in Figure 2 below. Tree of the bridge piers will extend through the bridge deck, with the centre pier extending approximately 25m above the bridge deck and the two side piers extending approximately 15m above the bridge deck.Inclined stay cables will link these three piers to the centre of the bridge deck. The overall length of the bridge is approximately 900m with the two main central spans approximately 230m in length. The vertical alignment for the Barrow Bridge allows a 36m clearance envelope above Mean High Water Spring (MHWS) for navigation of the river.
It looks like interesting design. I haven't yet seen a bridge with different height of the towers. It seems that the tallest one will have about 65m (40m to the deck and 25m above), two lower ones about 55m
Enceladus

Post by Enceladus »

This is an important new project. Along with the Ferns/Camolin/Enniscorthy bypass on the N/M11 it will improve access to Wexford and Rosslare hugely. New Ross is currently a terrible bottleneck with an early era half baked "bypass" of sorts.

Really looking forward to this scheme getting underway! :)
Certified Roads Geek ... and proud of it!
jdwexford

Post by jdwexford »

This should close in the next 4 weeks, there was a holdup due to legal issues over foreshore licence for new bridge over the Barrow.

Sod was tuned for M11 Enniscorthy bypass on Friday October 16th.
fras

Post by fras »

I went on holiday several times a few years ago and remember the New Ross bottleneck. The poor residents had to suffer a lot of traffic, and it got much worse over the years we went to Ireland. If you didn't fancy this, and you lived in Wexford, there was always the Ballyhack-Passage East ferry.
jdwexford

Post by jdwexford »

Contract signed today, I believe sod will be turned on Monday.
http://paschaldonohoe.ie/ministers-dono ... p-project/

ps (Irish General Election will probably be called Tuesday)
Geogregor

Post by Geogregor »

Website of the project launched recently:
http://www.n25newross.ie/
There is promise of webcameras showing construction of the bridge. Apparently the piers' construction should start later in the year.

A few weeks ago a barge showed up:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost. ... count=1513

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost. ... count=1514

There is an overview map of the project on the website:
http://www.n25newross.ie/wordpress/wp-c ... erview.jpg
bothar

Post by bothar »

Video

some pics here
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
nirs

Post by nirs »

Lovely. Drone footage has really transformed our ability to see road projects, even over the past 2-3 years. Not knowing the area, when I saw the first few seconds of that video I didn't realise that was a tower crane and somehow thought that was a bridge pier - I wondered "what on Earth are they building?"! :lol:
Northern Ireland Roads Site www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads
bothar

Post by bothar »

Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
bothar

Post by bothar »

nirs wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 09:22 Lovely. Drone footage has really transformed our ability to see road projects, even over the past 2-3 years. Not knowing the area, when I saw the first few seconds of that video I didn't realise that was a tower crane and somehow thought that was a bridge pier - I wondered "what on Earth are they building?"! :lol:
More drone 29/05 (if embed is dodgy try link
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Waterford side
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Johnathan404