A465 Heads Of The Valleys Rd Dualling: Gilwern To Brynmawr

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Berk

Re: A465 Heads Of The Valleys Rd Dualling: Gilwern To Brynmawr

Post by Berk »

Duncan wrote:Great video, Jeni. I take it the numpty who overtook you at 2.42 didn't notice that there is a solid white line in the middle of the road, or didn't care.
... or even notice the presence of cameras?? They are pretty frequent along the scheme. :?
Berk

Post by Berk »

Jeni wrote:The state of play on Wednesday evening, after a failed attempt at getting a video a few weeks ago with Bryn...
Forgive my curiosity... do you guys go and visit new schemes to video and capture their progress??

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate it. :)
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Berk wrote:
Jeni wrote:The state of play on Wednesday evening, after a failed attempt at getting a video a few weeks ago with Bryn...
Forgive my curiosity... do you guys go and visit new schemes to video and capture their progress??

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate it. :)
That's what I'm generally trying to do :-)

As well as some "general interest" road videos
jeremai

Post by jeremai »

I drove through this morning for the first time in a few weeks. Traffic is now diverted to go through the new short tunnel section (the "Navigation Inn overbridge", see picture in this post) at Gilwern. This is significant as it's the first stretch of new alignment to open in this section (although still a single lane in each direction of course). The new footbridge at Gilwern was also raised about a month ago. This will be a great vantage point for picture updates once open as it's closer to the tunnel than the old footbridge.

Clearing / rock blasting / cutting had also visibly accelerated for the continuation of the split level section at the Brynmawr end.
Riley

Post by Riley »

jeremai wrote:I drove through this morning for the first time in a few weeks. Traffic is now diverted to go through the new short tunnel section
Is the flyover over the roundabout at Gilwern open yet?
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Thanks for the update Jeremai,

A couple of pictures from the 7th June before it was switched.

Gilwern footbridge;
Rusty!

Imagea465 gilwern a by Dskies, on Flickr

Imagea465 gilwern b by Dskies, on Flickr
jeremai

Post by jeremai »

Riley wrote:Is the flyover over the roundabout at Gilwern open yet?
No, not yet. There was a newsletter that implied this was going to open last summer but it never happened. It appears to be being used as storage at the moment. They are slowly erecting crash barriers along it too.

Great pictures, Andy! I quite like the "twisting" effect of that bridge.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

jeremai wrote:..Great pictures, Andy! I quite like the "twisting" effect of that bridge.
As opposed to the "rusty and looks ugly" effect?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

RichardA35 wrote:
jeremai wrote:..Great pictures, Andy! I quite like the "twisting" effect of that bridge.
As opposed to the "rusty and looks ugly" effect?
Is rusty steel the new black as the Ordsall Chord bridges in Salford look exactly the same...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

I think the rusty look can be OK. Isn't the Angel of the North deliberately rusty as well? Also the Fulcrum structure at Broadgate in London.

PS - this stuff presumably:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

Yes weathering steel, but an architect can probably tell you better that a dark colour on the skyline draws attention to the structure whereas a light colour allows the structure to fade into and blend with the sky behind. I think I would have picked yellow or light blue, but if costs trumps appearance then we are destined to live with cheap ugly infrastructure
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Weathering steel is used to avoid the need for painting so it doesn't come in blue.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

wrinkly wrote:Weathering steel is used to avoid the need for painting so it doesn't come in blue.
Indeed I do know that having built a few bridges with the stuff, but the point is that has anyone assessed the visual impact against the skyline of what looks like a fairly "lumpy" piece of steel and would it have looked better in painted steel? From the photo it looks pretty ugly.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

See I quite like the blue steel bridges on the 1997 length of the M65.

Mind you I also like the painted brown gantries on the M1 around Sherwood Forest but that might be because it reminds me of the A13 in Paris through Versailles which has done the same thing.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

jeremai wrote:
No, not yet. There was a newsletter that implied this was going to open last summer but it never happened. It appears to be being used as storage at the moment. They are slowly erecting crash barriers along it too.

Yes, I thought storage too... I expect there is a reason for it not opening yet but they could have easily opened it up a month or 2 ago and saved millions of minutes journey time for all.

A photo from June the 7th;

Imagea465 gilwern gsj june 2017 by Dskies, on Flickr
Riley

Post by Riley »

AAndy wrote:
jeremai wrote:

Yes, I thought storage too... I expect there is a reason for it not opening yet but they could have easily opened it up a month or 2 ago and saved millions of minutes journey time for all.
I've only ever driven through there in off-peak times so I don't know if that junction ever gets that busy. If it doesn't, I guess the flyover will just be a nice convenience rather than a massive time saver.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Riley wrote:
I've only ever driven through there in off-peak times so I don't know if that junction ever gets that busy. If it doesn't, I guess the flyover will just be a nice convenience rather than a massive time saver.
Yes, but.. .When it was 2+1 and a little chef occupied the space I'm driving along in the last photo the roundabout was often a 5 minute wait at peak holiday times...and now over the past 7 years during the dualling works, and with the new roundabout alignment, the wait has deminished ...and even if the gsj opened now traffic would be reduced to S2 soon afterwards and the pinch point would be a little , not fit for purpose temporary roundabout by the main dualling works headquarters.

If the gsj opened now it would save a minute or so for every motorist...unless then, that temp roundabout spawned more delay :confused: .
quarella

Post by quarella »

I had cause to use the A465 a few weekends ago when the Brynmawr - Gilwern section was closed. The signed diversion was A467 south to Crumlin then east on the A472 till it meets the A4042 just past Pontypool, then north to the A465/A40 intersection south of Abergavenny.
jeremai

Post by jeremai »

The signed diversion is 25 miles! There are much shorter alternatives but they're not suitable for HGVs.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

I doubt taking a HGV up and over the hills via Blaenavon would be much fun.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.