Under-utilised, badly sited or even failed Park & Rides

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Mark Hewitt

Re: Under-utilised, badly sited or even failed Park & Rides

Post by Mark Hewitt »

fras wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2016 13:05
Helvellyn wrote:
fras wrote:The usual stinking diesel buses will be used; it would have been nice if they could have been trolleybuses as installed in Rome, (part battery, part overhead). Even better if tram, but the traffic levels don't justify it apparently, although the trams do go to Eccles, and one does wonder how that was justified !
Give me stinking diesel over a mess of wires.
Cough, cough
Quite. Diesel above all is noisy, and not good noisy, very annoyingly noisy there's nothing to like about it. Then there's the fumes. Electric trains are better in every way especially at the stations.
scott125

Post by scott125 »

Silverburn Glasgow Park and ride , think its still signposted off the M77 .
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

ph8034 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2016 13:20 Can I nominate one that's not even built yet? :)
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor ... l-10865311
Me too!

https://www.leamingtoncourier.co.uk/new ... -1-8501205

The main problem is that the buses are still going to have to crawl into town down the *NEW* dual carriageway, which ends in a roundabout and then the traffic has a choice of this bridge or this bridge - neither of which can cope.
Let it snow.
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

I am surprised that no-one has mentioned Swindon (pause for snide comments!).

Travelling out to RIAT at RAF Fairford last summer (2017), I noticed what looks like an abandoned P&R site (ie gates closed, concrete blocks in place, weeds taking over and looking ready for Season 96 of "The Shambling Dead Zombie Apocalypse Re-run" on the north side of the town.

Locally, here in Hampshire we use the Winchester P&R site extensively; the city now has four sites on the southern and eastern edges of the city. It works very well.
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
nirs

Post by nirs »

In Belfast work will soon get underway to build a park-and-ride here, on the approach to the city from the east. It seems all well and good, except that the adjacent Belfast City Airport has objected. While there may be an element of self interest, they do have a point as it would be a fairly convenient place to park for free if jetting off abroad! As someone said to me, it's meant to be a park-and-ride for Belfast, not Malaga!
Northern Ireland Roads Site www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads
Berk

Post by Berk »

The parking is free, surely?? In which case, they’d have a point. 🤨
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Surely it's not the airport's place to object? Someone taking a couple of hundred cars is actually doing them a favour!

The problem should have been spotted, but it's hardly impossible to design out. Maximum stay 24 hours and tickets have to be validated on a bus before they will operate an exit barrier.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

Not when the airport could be collecting the parking fees, Johnathan!

It’ll be free parking, as the buses won’t be free. It won’t have a barrier.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

mikehindsonevans wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 07:25 I am surprised that no-one has mentioned Swindon (pause for snide comments!).

Travelling out to RIAT at RAF Fairford last summer (2017), I noticed what looks like an abandoned P&R site (ie gates closed, concrete blocks in place, weeds taking over and looking ready for Season 96 of "The Shambling Dead Zombie Apocalypse Re-run" on the north side of the town.
Closing that site was apparently saved the council over 360,000 a year an it closed in 2009.
https://www.localgov.co.uk/Transport-LT ... ride/31378
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

AndyB wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 13:45Not when the airport could be collecting the parking fees, Johnathan!

I can see why the airport wouldn't be happy about it, but I am not sure that "because it stops us from profiteering" is a valid reason for objecting to a proposal!
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Newcraighall in Edinburgh is one of the best. You pay 50 pence to park and the train takes 11 minutes to reach the city centre. Far better than bus based park and rides.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Stevie D wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 19:33 I can see why the airport wouldn't be happy about it, but I am not sure that "because it stops us from profiteering" is a valid reason for objecting to a proposal!
To be fair 'impact on local businesses' is commonly raised as an issue.

It's just that in my mind parking isn't supposed to be traded like supermarket goods. It's supposed to be suppressed by lack of space rather than to make it more profitable. Besides, an airport's primary concern should be to get people on planes!

This feels like an estate agent objecting to a development because they'll have to stop takingeadvantage of the lack of demand.
Last edited by Johnathan404 on Sat May 19, 2018 20:02, edited 2 times in total.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Glenn A wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 19:47 Newcraighall in Edinburgh is one of the best. You pay 50 pence to park and the train takes 11 minutes to reach the city centre. Far better than bus based park and rides.
I would agree. It is very well placed for the A1 and the A720 and it is very handy that the train takes you to Waverley Station, which is ideal for the shops on Princes Street and also quite close to Calton Hill (fantastic views of Edinburgh Castle, Arthur's Seat and Fife on a good day).
vlad

Post by vlad »

nirs wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 12:31 In Belfast work will soon get underway to build a park-and-ride here, on the approach to the city from the east. It seems all well and good, except that the adjacent Belfast City Airport has objected. While there may be an element of self interest, they do have a point as it would be a fairly convenient place to park for free if jetting off abroad! As someone said to me, it's meant to be a park-and-ride for Belfast, not Malaga!
There's a park and ride adjacent to Norwich Airport, so it's not as though this would be a first.

There are signs at Norwich stating that drivers can only park there to use the park and ride and specifically not to use the airport. I've no idea how they police this, though.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Glenn A wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 19:47Newcraighall in Edinburgh is one of the best. You pay 50 pence to park and the train takes 11 minutes to reach the city centre. Far better than bus based park and rides.
I think you've missed the point of this thread :D

Yes, Newcraighall is very handy – the downside is that the trains are only every 30 minutes (±2 minutes – they can't quite manage a regular interval service), so even though the train journey is quick, if you just miss a train then it feels like a long wait for the next one, which is not what you want for Park & Ride.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 19:58
Glenn A wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 19:47 Newcraighall in Edinburgh is one of the best. You pay 50 pence to park and the train takes 11 minutes to reach the city centre. Far better than bus based park and rides.
I would agree. It is very well placed for the A1 and the A720 and it is very handy that the train takes you to Waverley Station, which is ideal for the shops on Princes Street and also quite close to Calton Hill (fantastic views of Edinburgh Castle, Arthur's Seat and Fife on a good day).
There are also regular services to Haymarket for those who work on the western side of the city,
Berk

Post by Berk »

Stevie D wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 21:50
Glenn A wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 19:47Newcraighall in Edinburgh is one of the best. You pay 50 pence to park and the train takes 11 minutes to reach the city centre. Far better than bus based park and rides.

Yes, Newcraighall is very handy – the downside is that the trains are only every 30 minutes (±2 minutes – they can't quite manage a regular interval service), so even though the train journey is quick, if you just miss a train then it feels like a long wait for the next one, which is not what you want for Park & Ride.
Can they not double the frequency (during working hours)?? Or is that just ‘too difficult’??
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Berk wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 23:41
Stevie D wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 21:50

Can they not double the frequency (during working hours)?? Or is that just ‘too difficult’??
I don't know whether there would be capacity problems on the line, but I suspect not. More likely that it just wouldn't be cost effective, and you wouldn't get enough extra passengers to justify it. With 11 minutes running time to Waverley, it would be tight running a half-hourly shuttle using a single train, although if you missed out Brunstane it should be doable.
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

Stevie D wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 19:33
AndyB wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 13:45Not when the airport could be collecting the parking fees, Johnathan!

I can see why the airport wouldn't be happy about it, but I am not sure that "because it stops us from profiteering" is a valid reason for objecting to a proposal!
They closed down an airport parking business that used an underutilised floor of the nearby Ikea car park.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news ... 14495.html

Not sure how they could stop the park and ride from being used as an airport car park - maybe have Sprucefield style barriers that open it 7am-7pm, puts a limit on those who are taking early morning / evening flights.

It's a good idea for taking traffic off the sydenham bypass, but like Cairnshill there is still a lot of congestion on the arterial route to get through to reach it - why is it not situated a bit further out? (Holywood / Carryduff)
Jim606

Post by Jim606 »

The Colchester P&R has been in the local news yet again. The news report focuses on concessionary fares and the lack of customers. https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/176 ... -scrapped/
Bus P&R.JPG