Marvellous Maps of Great Britain!

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Big Nick

Marvellous Maps of Great Britain!

Post by Big Nick »

This morning I was sent this link to a map of rude place names in Britain. http://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/he ... .su3pd6xe0
Shocking filth I say, disgusting. I nearly dropped my breakfast I was laughing that hard :shock: :lol: !

What's even better is that you can buy these great looking maps from the wonderfully named Strumpshaw, Tincleton and Giggleswick http://www.stghq.com/

Royal Baby names, Valentines Day, even a Fashion Week special are also available. But I'd sooner have the rude version for my bathroom so I can study it in peace. :D
Piatkow

Re: Marvellous Maps of Great Britain!

Post by Piatkow »

Actually "rude" names can be a serious issue on the web. I know of discussion boards that won't allow you to mention Scunthorpe.
sydneynick

Post by sydneynick »

I seem to recall that York once had a Gropecynt Lane.
I can always tell if politicians are lying. Their lips move.
J--M--B

Post by J--M--B »

The Ordnance Survey launched a competition on The One Show for viewers to design some new symbols for them.

They are looking for symbols for
1) Vineyard
2) Skate Park
3) Caves
4) Toilet
5) Art Gallery
6) Electric Car Charging Point
7) Climbing Centre
8) Solar Farm
9) Kite Surfing
10) Ice Rink
JMB
Fort William
http://www.mbriscoe.me.uk

"Give me the third best technology. The second best won't be ready in time. The best will never be ready." Robert Watson-Watt
hoagy_ytfc

Post by hoagy_ytfc »

11) Dogging Area
Fahad
SABRE Developer

Post by Fahad »

Piatkow wrote:Actually "rude" names can be a serious issue on the web. I know of discussion boards that won't allow you to mention Scunthorpe.
It's a well known problem in censor design with its own Wikipedia article :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scunthorpe_problem
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

Fahad wrote: It's a well known problem in censor design with its own Wikipedia article :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scunthorpe_problem
Looking at the screenshot..is the person who tried to signup a Sabristo?
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

Piatkow wrote:Actually "rude" names can be a serious issue on the web. I know of discussion boards that won't allow you to mention Scunthorpe.
Somebody was not entirely happy about this retweet made from the SABRE account :|
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
J--M--B

Post by J--M--B »

J--M--B wrote:The Ordnance Survey launched a competition on The One Show for viewers to design some new symbols for them.

They are looking for symbols for
They are going to announce the new symbols tomorrow.
JMB
Fort William
http://www.mbriscoe.me.uk

"Give me the third best technology. The second best won't be ready in time. The best will never be ready." Robert Watson-Watt
nick_dunn

Post by nick_dunn »

A quick bump for this thread as I have now got a copy of the aforementioned map. My foul-mouthed, filthy-minded wife (I can only hope she never reads this) was bought the map for her birthday and naturally I have taken control of it.

It's nice quality - as good as O/S and there literally are hundreds of entries on the main map. What grabbed my attention though was that on the reverse side, they have produced a top 50 of what they consider the rudest names and linked them together as a potential road trip - a sort of NC500 for the whole UK! I may have missed it, but I can't see a total mileage for this trip anywhere on the map. However, I knew you would all be worrying about this so I have totted it all up today using Google Maps and come up with a figure of 3860 miles in total. The following should be noted though:

I have started and finished with my own local hamlet of Bell End in Worcestershire. From the descriptions given, I suspect one or two of the locations on the map are incorrect - notably Willey and Pantyfallen. Where Google Maps didn't know about a place eg Butthole Lane, Little Cockup and Roger Moor amongst others, I have estimated to the nearest village or town. Some of the locations are on islands so a ferry journey is included to The Bitches, the Butt of Lewis and both Twatt's (Orkney and Shetland). Obviously some of the trip is doubling back along the original route and I've included this in the final mileage. I've named just a handful of places - there are plenty more to look at.

This map is good entertainment although I suppose I should get a life really.
stevepuma

Post by stevepuma »

And if your missus reads this...
You'll probably need to get a wife too! :laugh:
Enceladus

Post by Enceladus »

Isn’t there a Little Snoring and a Great Snoring in East Anglia? :D

Here in Ireland, there are lots of funny place names. :D Here are a few:

Muff
B*stardstown
Hospital
Inch
Leap
Horetown
Fannystown
Nobber
Kill
Jacketstown
Kilcock
Horse and Jockey
Pullingtown
Certified Roads Geek ... and proud of it!
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Enceladus wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 21:16 Isn’t there a Little Snoring and a Great Snoring in East Anglia? :D

Muff
B*stardstown
Hospital
Inch
Leap
Horetown
Fannystown
Nobber
Kill
Jacketstown
Kilcock
Horse and Jockey
Pullingtown
Spunkane, Lower Balix and Fartrim too.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

There’s a Fanny’s Bay in Donegal and Balix Hill in Tyrone.
nick_dunn

Post by nick_dunn »

Enceladus wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 21:16

Muff
... not forgetting their famous aquatics establishment - the Muff Diving Club . I still can't make up my mind whether that is real or not!