Local Road Projects

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

fras

Re: Local Road Projects

Post by fras »

The shock news today is that the new Congleton Link Road entry point at the west end off the A534 has NSL signs up !!

Compare this with the A555 dual carriageway that is 50 mph over all of the new section.
jackal

Carrington Relief Road

Post by jackal »

This is a proposed bypass of Carrington for the A6144, to extend west from the end of the Carrington Spur (former A6144(M)). A number of options have now been whittled down to so-called online and offline options:

In fact both are largely offline from the existing A6144, utilising the "A1 Route" of the nearby refinery site (the dead straight section). The difference between the routes is how they get between the A1 Route and Carrington Spur. Design speed is 70kph for a 40mph speed limit. Costs are rather high for little over 2 miles of basic S2:

"The overall estimated capital cost of the scheme is £34m. Whilst the scheme has
received grant allocations of £6.0m and £8.4m from the Growth Deal fund and
Housing Infrastructure Fund respectively these go only part of the way towards the
total cost. Further contributions from forthcoming developments amount to
approximately £2.8m and the Council has now set out a funding strategy for
addressing the residual funding gap from other developments."

Website: https://www.trafford.gov.uk/residents/t ... -Road.aspx
Council report: https://democratic.trafford.gov.uk/docu ... Report.pdf
Local press story: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... n-19958116
fras

Re: Carrington Relief Road

Post by fras »

Isn't there a thread on this already ? Or am I dreaming ?
jervi

Re: Carrington Relief Road

Post by jervi »

fras wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 19:40 Isn't there a thread on this already ? Or am I dreaming ?
yes

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34473&p=1174049&hil ... d#p1174049
ravenbluemoon
Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Mod Note: I've merged the Carrington Relief Road thread into here as there's been a bit of discussion about it already. If it becomes a significant talking point then it can be split of again if necessary
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

Runwell

Post by Runwell »

After three years, the junction revamp in Colchester on Ipswich Road/Cowdray Avenue junction is due to be complete inside the next few days.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

wrinkly wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 13:00 Work starts on new link from M62 J19 to Heywood

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/s ... s-project/
Video of construction ... with skylark song towards the end!

https://youtu.be/x2ONMvP_h_Q
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

New roundabout under construction for new housing on the A449 just at the north end of Penkridge.
20210717_191944.jpg
Looks like the switch to using half of the roundabout is reasonably imminent.
20210717_190951.jpg
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
GeekyJames

Post by GeekyJames »

Not sure where to post this but East Sussex County Council are planning on some A22 "improvements" i.e. traffic lights at lots of roundabouts between Hailsham & Eastbourne. Link to consultation:

https://consultation.eastsussex.gov.uk/ ... rovements/
Fluid Dynamics

Post by Fluid Dynamics »

GeekyJames wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 22:29 Not sure where to post this but East Sussex County Council are planning on some A22 "improvements" i.e. traffic lights at lots of roundabouts between Hailsham & Eastbourne. Link to consultation:

https://consultation.eastsussex.gov.uk/ ... rovements/
The eastern A22/A27 roundabout is Highways England’s responsibility surely?
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

Reaseheath College on the A51, just north of Nantwich, is receiving a small bypass which is set to open next February.

Information can be found here.

The last time I passed by here, groundworks were already taking place off the roundabout (former A500, which became the A51 Nantwich bypass) but little else had happened. It seems things have progressed quite significantly since then.

Other than to serve as an additional route for the new housing estate going up there, I don't see the point of this as it serves no benefit for through-traffic that I can see. In my opinion, the villages of Alpraham, Clotton and Duddon further north along the A51 have needed bypassing for years. :?
The journey is never over until the arrival.
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

It's meant to bypass the cottages along the current A51 but there isn't that many along that stretch. The main purpose and I think this is developer funded is to serve the Kingsbourne estate and it will certainly be quicker to access than going through Nantwich itself (which should shut up some of the naysayers of the estate). I'm curious how much time it will shave off given I will be using it to commute down to J16 from said estate.
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

One to mention which was recently completed is the bypass of Langlands Garden Centre at Shiptonthorpe in East Yorkshire.

What they really should have done was to build the previously proposed full southern bypass of Shiptonthorpe as a dual carriageway, thereby converting the entire section of the A1079 between Hayton and the A164 roundabout into a dual carriageway.
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

Out of interest, does anyone know why that two mile stretch of the A1079 east of Hayton was turned into a dual carriageway, and why it was just those two miles.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Legislation for The Borough Council of Calderdale (A629, Southern Section, Halifax) (Highway Improvements) (West Yorkshire Plus Transport Fund, Phase 1b) (Calder and Hebble Navigation Bridge) Scheme 2020 Confirmation Instrument 2021 published: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2021/1317/note/made
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

The Grizebeck Improvement on the A595, which will replace a hazardous stretch of road that passes through a farm yard, will finally start in the autumn of 2023. Otherwise on the western side of Cumbria nothing, as the main project in the county will be dualling the A66 from Penrith to Scotch Corner and a southern by pass of Carlisle( both to start in 2023).
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Rillington wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 19:12 Out of interest, does anyone know why that two mile stretch of the A1079 east of Hayton was turned into a dual carriageway, and why it was just those two miles.
Just a guess but the sight lines at the Thorpe Le Street Junction with the A1079 were bad for traffic heading to York and the road had a poor safety record.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.88612 ... 8192?hl=en
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

Bypass for Melton gets green light after £18 million in Government funding is secured

A step in the right direction, but this is only for the Southern leg of the bypass. In isolation that would only scratch the surface of the issues experienced in Melton, this needs to be in conjunction with the north and east leg too, so fingers crossed there is positive news on that leg in 2022. I don't have any figures to back up my theory but I highly suspect the majority of through traffic in Melton is A607>A607 and A606>A606. The southern bypass alone wouldn't really alleviate any of that through traffic at all. Again, anecdotal as opposed to data driven, but I live at the bottom end of the A607 north of Leicester, and I would bet that a large amount of the 'light' traffic between North Leicester and Oakham takes the unclassified 'as the crow flies' route rather than classified route A607 and A606 through Melton. I can attest that it's much quicker than trundling through Melton (Edit: quicker at any vaguely busy time, probably equal at a quiet time).
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

KeithW wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:14
Rillington wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 19:12 Out of interest, does anyone know why that two mile stretch of the A1079 east of Hayton was turned into a dual carriageway, and why it was just those two miles.
Just a guess but the sight lines at the Thorpe Le Street Junction with the A1079 were bad for traffic heading to York and the road had a poor safety record.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.88612 ... 8192?hl=en
You might be right, and the road in general has always had a poor safety record.