Local Road Projects

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Norfolktolancashire

Re: Local Road Projects

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

The D2 bypass of Penwortham near Preston, Lancashire, is half way in construction. It will be the A59 when completed.

Of interest is that the road is nearly completed from the roundabout of the A582, however it stops in the middle of some playing fields just off the existing A59.

I don't know of any new roads being built this way.

www.lep.co.uk/news/transport/speed-limi ... -1-9586897
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Various pieces of work going on on the A350 in Wilts - sections of the Chippenham bypass widening have now opened, there appears to be land clearance started for the Chippenham northern development route (lots of car dependent estates close to the M4 for people who like that sort of thing), and improvements being made to the Farmers Roundabout in Melksham.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Norfolktolancashire wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 21:05Of interest is that the road is nearly completed from the roundabout of the A582, however it stops in the middle of some playing fields just off the existing A59.

Grantham southern bypass is being built in 3 parts, the first part in the middle was finished a while back, the 2nd part will link that (currently) dead end dual carriageway to the A1 and the 3rd part will cross the valley and railway line to the A52 near the current roundabout by the driving test centre.

Similarly Spalding Western Relief Road is to be built in 3 phases (one of which is split into further sub phases) which seems a little odd to me as what use is a bypass that only has 2 ends but not a middle? There are drop in sessions for it this week, I'm hoping to make it to one of them.
B4444

Post by B4444 »

Darkcape wrote
The full length of the Bordon "bypass" is now open
But no-one seems to have noticed! Perhaps because sat navs haven't been updated or the signs don't exactly scream at you to take the new route, or perhaps the road geometry - a 'conjoined' roundabout with an adverse camber at the southern end is a bit intimidating. It's certainly a pleasant drive at 40mph, but look out for those central pedestrian islands.
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Fenlander wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 14:25
Norfolktolancashire wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 21:05Of interest is that the road is nearly completed from the roundabout of the A582, however it stops in the middle of some playing fields just off the existing A59.

What use is a bypass that only has 2 ends but not a middle? There are drop in sessions for it this week, I'm hoping to make it to one of them.
Well, it worked in reverse for the A555 Manchester Airport Eastern approach road - which is now, after a 20-year gestation period, delivering the benefits which were foreseen.
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Euan

Post by Euan »

mikehindsonevans wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 04:21
Fenlander wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 14:25

What use is a bypass that only has 2 ends but not a middle? There are drop in sessions for it this week, I'm hoping to make it to one of them.
Well, it worked in reverse for the A555 Manchester Airport Eastern approach road - which is now, after a 20-year gestation period, delivering the benefits which were foreseen.
I'm unsure which would be more useful - a bypass that is only complete in the middle but not at the ends or a bypass which is complete at the ends but not in the middle. I suppose it depends on where the main roads are in relation to the bypass. If they are only at each end then the latter may be slightly more favourable, or the former if there is an important road crossing the bypass halfway along.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Big project in Colchester that started last Autumn to remove the double roundabouts on Cowdray Avenue at the Harwich Road and Ipswich Road junctions and replace with two single roundabouts, as well as to dual the road between the two and widen the approaches. Pretty big job for such a small area, as the area is a sea of utilities, and unsurprisingly there have been plenty of problems that they are continuing to sort out. Project not due for completion until well in to next year.

The project does not affect the magic roundabouts a little further along at the most easterly edge of the town.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

I wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 17:14 Blackhorse Lane, Addiscombe is unclassified but quite well used as it is the only link (save for the ends) between the A222 and B143. A weak bridge over the now tram tracks has lead to its closure As seen here. Croydon Council's solution was to put a "We are going to start work on this in January 2018" notice on the closure (some 18 months afterwards) and ban parking on one side of the A215 Spring Lane to try to help flow there.

If you are going to be in the area, particularly at the conclusion of games at Selhurst Park, expect long delays on the A215 Portland Road towards Addiscombe. I'll report again when the route is re-opened.
Well TFL and Croydon Council finally got together to work on the two bridges. One is over the now Tramlink line and TFL responsibility, the other is the bridge over the now closed railway to Addiscombe and that is Croydon Council. January 2018 turned into February/March 2019 and work is now scheduled to finish in January 2020 with perhaps single lane working and a pedestrian access towards the end of this year (unless the utilities can't manage it)

GSV from March this year

In the meantime and as suggested, the A215 is frequently dire and traffic from Selhurst Park is queued past my house to try to avoid the A215/B243 junction when the football ends. No prizes for spotting the obvious road number typo in the original message.
Roavin

Post by Roavin »

There has been a few upgrades to the countless A1237 roundabouts, but that road will never really improve until at least the northern part is upgraded to D2.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

There has been a few upgrades to the countless A1237 roundabouts, but that road will never really improve until at least the northern part is upgraded to D2.
The roundabouts do get twice as much traffic through now though but as you say D2 is needed, the B1224 roundabout is now completed, Monks Cross link is the next one and site clearance has already happened, then they are starting the more challenging roundabouts, Clifton Moor Roundabout is the next after Monks cross, plans are on city of York’s council website, basically they are moving the whole roundabout north into the field making it much bigger and adding a 4th arm into a housing development.....

Apparently it was announced last year that the A1237 will be dualled from the A19 to the Hopgrove as one of the first major roads network schemes, all these roundabouts with 3 entry and 2 exit lanes are designed to have D2 added between them with no more changes needed to the roundabouts.
Berk

Post by Berk »

That’s all well and good... but what about the western half?? :confused:
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

NICK 647063 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 19:29 basically they are moving the whole roundabout north into the field making it much bigger and adding a 4th arm into a housing development ...
Lessons learnt ... not!
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Berk wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 19:44That’s all well and good... but what about the western half?? :confused:
IMX the western half isn't quite as badly congested as the northern half, and it comes with bigger engineering challenges. First, between the A19 and A59 you have four bridges that would need to be replaced, and then the whole of the Askham Bryan junction would have to ripped out and rebuilt from scratch because plugging dual-carriageway traffic levels into the existing low-capacity junction would be a recipe for disaster. I'm not saying that it would be a bad thing to do that, but given the much higher costs, you can see why it hasn't been prioritised.
Roavin

Post by Roavin »

Stevie D wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 20:24
Berk wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 19:44That’s all well and good... but what about the western half?? :confused:
IMX the western half isn't quite as badly congested as the northern half, and it comes with bigger engineering challenges. First, between the A19 and A59 you have four bridges that would need to be replaced, and then the whole of the Askham Bryan junction would have to ripped out and rebuilt from scratch because plugging dual-carriageway traffic levels into the existing low-capacity junction would be a recipe for disaster. I'm not saying that it would be a bad thing to do that, but given the much higher costs, you can see why it hasn't been prioritised.
Yeah, in my opinion the western half is far less congested than the northern. It's also strange that it's a clearway considering that most of the northern half isn't.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Yeah, in my opinion the western half is far less congested than the northern. It's also strange that it's a clearway considering that most of the northern half isn't.
I suspect the clearway thing comes from the fact the western section from the A19 was local authority at the time North Yorkshire county council I think, the northern section from the A19 was trunk road so responsibly of Highways Agency as it was at the time, it’s all now local authority under the control of City of a York council, but we have slight differences like the clearway issue, obviously common sense would hopefully prevent anyone trying to stop or park on the A1237 although for most of the day it is a carpark....

Also with a dualled northern A1237 it would slightly relieve the western section as many would use the northern section over the western obviously depending on destination, for example A19 north of York to A19 south of York this was always signed via Hopgrove but with the latest A19 Fulford improvement the A19 towards Thirsk is now signed via Copmanthorpe and A1237 western section, if the A1237 northern section was dualled most would go that way, although Hopgrove needs sorting.
Achmelvic

Post by Achmelvic »

I'm not sure if this one has been mentioned already, only a few minutes from where I now live, upon which construct has started in the last few weeks:

Glasshoughton Southern Link Road

Whilst I assume developer funded due to the seemingly never-ending spread of new housing estates in the area in the last 20 years it should hopefully provide some relief to road further north between two roundabouts past Asda where the A639 multiplex's with the A6539 and is almost always queueing no matter the time of day.

Along with the already built A655 Normanton bypass and A6539 link south of the M62 will give a clearer route from Wakefield to the retails and leisure parks near J32 of the motorway and the long proposed Axiom shopping centre and new Castleford Tigers ground, assuming they ever get off the ground.

Albeit traffic will still have to negotiate the horror that is the five exit roundabout near B&Q
Achmelvic

Post by Achmelvic »

Another project in the Wakefield district of West Yorkshire is the long talked about Pontefract, Featherstone and Ackworth bypass which has gone by many names such as Transformational Project South Featherstone and SOUTH EAST LINK ROAD - INCORPORATING FEATHERSTONE AND PONTEFRACT BY-PASS. There's the outline of the route here on the Wakefield Council site.

It would continue the A628 Hemworth bypass which was built about 10 years ago north wards to connect with a new southern bypass of the A645 through Featherstone that would continue north east ward and provide a bypass of Pontefract by joining with the A639 where it heads into the town from J32 of the M62.

I'd expect the design and standard to match most of the other new roads built around this area of West and South Yorkshire as 'development' routes in the last 20 years: S2 with plenty of roundabouts.

Looks like 2022 at the earliest but the details are a bit sketchy.

My only issue would be what impact it might have my favourite local farm shop that's just missed by it!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

IAN wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 21:28 Good to see £54m allocated to dual the Carrington bridge on the Worcester Southern Link Road - Work due to start in 2019.

Ian (M5 Driver)
SI published today: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2019/1179/made (The Worcestershire County Council (Carrington Bridge) Scheme 2018 Confirmation Instrument 2019)
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

The "Whitley South" expansion between JLR and the airport in Coventry is now progressing beyond all the earth moving they've been doing for the last few years.

The supporting pillars are now installed for the new bridge over the A45, and the main supporting beams for the bridge are sitting nearby, waiting to be lifted into place - this will require the A45 to be shut during this process, but not seen any announcement of when this is likely to happen.
Let it snow.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Alderpoint wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:52 the main supporting beams for the bridge are sitting nearby, waiting to be lifted into place
Having looked at this again when I go past most days, it's actually the whole bridge deck in one piece, not just the main beams. Going to be an enormous job moving this into place over the A45.
Let it snow.