A3/M25 Wisley Upgrade

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

lefthandedspanner

Re: A3/M25 Wisley Upgrade

Post by lefthandedspanner »

I can't believe option 20 (the cloverleaf) even made it off the drawing board, and I'm not surprised it was dropped from the running early on.

The lane-swapping is not too bad when the roads involved don't have much traffic, but when one of those roads is the M25!...
jackal

Post by jackal »

lefthandedspanner wrote:I can't believe option 20 (the cloverleaf) even made it off the drawing board, and I'm not surprised it was dropped from the running early on.
It probably didn't even make it onto the drawing board. But if it did, I'd like to see the drawings!

I'm happy to see less standard (in UK terms) designs like this considered. Because there are few four-way freeflow interchanges in the country, and none built for several decades, there is not much experience with them here. Hence the temptation to just trot out the four designs in TD 22/06 (stack, cloverstack, cyclic, partially-unrolled cloverleaf), which are not suited to all sites.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It really shows a lack of problem solving skill and a mere focus on the bottom line of the works estimate that the default in TD 22/06 is a stacked roundabout.

Low speed free-flow would be far superior at many junctions than a high speed stacked roundabout which is just inviting entry path conflicts and delays.

It isn't beyond the wit of designers either, after all the A1(M)/M62 junction is magnificent. Presumably that only got approval because there was a failure of a stacked roundabout on the old road already.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jackal

Post by jackal »

I honestly think it would help if a drawing of an octopus/windmill-type design was in DMRB, as well as a 'clovermill', which is a standard solution in Germany and the US.

The long list for Wisley doesn't contain any weaving-free low speed freeflow options like these. Five out of six are taken from TD 22/06 (the exception is the cloverleaf). Four out of six would presumably have all four right turns at 50mph. This raises costs significantly, for little benefit considering one of the turns only has 300vph.
Wisley long list.PNG
Options workshop scores.PNG
jackal

Post by jackal »

Get Surrey have excelled themselves by getting their hands on technical drawings for the rejected options. Some of the more interesting ones:
Attachments
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
jackal

Post by jackal »

Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Well done indeed. It's sad that they will never be built but still nice to know that there are still people paid to create fantasy GSJs.

The drawings make it clear how much more space a full GSJ would require, and how impossible all of them (with the possible exception of the whirlpool and skewed diamond) would be to build while maintaining traffic flow.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Whirlpool daganabbit!

Who seriously thought a cloverleaf was worth bothering with? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Any of the full freeflow options is vastly superior regardless of the landtake.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

The whirlpool in option 19 is interesting in that it would've been a double exit and single entry in all directions whereas normally they are arranged as a single exit with double entry.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Or just single entries and exits in all directions like Thorpe.
Johnathan404 wrote:It's sad that they will never be built
Probably not, though if 9 is built it should be possible to upgrade it later.
9.jpg
18.jpg
Last edited by jackal on Sat Mar 25, 2017 23:23, edited 4 times in total.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Bryn666 wrote:Who seriously thought a cloverleaf was worth bothering with? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
If you zoom in on the cloverleaf, they seem to have C/D lanes on the A3, but none for the M25, meaning weaving would be on the mainline. That would have been... interesting.
Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman »

1. Extremely interesting finds. And it is somewhat reassuring that more free-flowing options actually WERE considered.

2. It's curious that option 17 is described as a 'skewed diamond'. Topologically it's a stack, but it has maximum-3-level structures (not rare in USA and other places).
Glom

Post by Glom »

The whirlpool is my favorite.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

jackal wrote:If you zoom in on the cloverleaf, they seem to have C/D lanes on the A3, but none for the M25, meaning weaving would be on the mainline. That would have been... interesting.
It looks like they would have maintained the A3 overbridge, restricting the width of the M25, but built the A3 C/D lanes on new bridges. If the new bridges mimic the old one they would have been impressive structures, and those loops would have been pretty steep too.

Come to think of it, the cloverloop has the loops merging in the middle of the existing bridge. That would have been interesting. I suppose you could close the flyover and build a new one but it wouldn't be easy.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
jackal

Post by jackal »

Peter Freeman wrote:It's curious that option 17 is described as a 'skewed diamond'. Topologically it's a stack, but it has maximum-3-level structures (not rare in USA and other places).
I agree, it is essentially a stack, but you could argue that one of the slips is actually a cyclic ramp (like you have in a whirlpool) rather than semi-direct (like you classically have in a stack).
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

jackal wrote:
Bryn666 wrote:Who seriously thought a cloverleaf was worth bothering with? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
If you zoom in on the cloverleaf, they seem to have C/D lanes on the A3, but none for the M25, meaning weaving would be on the mainline. That would have been... interesting.
That alone would have made it possibly the most terrifying junction in the country.
jackal

Post by jackal »

It looks like the semi-direct connectors for the stack would all have been above the interchange, meaning it would actually be on five levels!
Attachments
18.jpg
jackal

Post by jackal »

Alan Titchmarsh has been sticking his oar in. Hard to assess the merits of the case as the consultation wasn't about alternative widening schemes, from what I remember.

Also the preferred route announcement is apparently due in a month.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08 ... s-england/
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

I am afraid I am with the RHS and Mr Titchmarsh on this one. Other ways should be found to improve the junction without blighting the Gardens or destroying woodland. The HE are being very heavy handed on this one.

I should point out that Wisley Gardens were there before even the A3 in its current form, let alone the M25.
My latest Road Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHsktQHcMB