A55's mainland roundabouts to go

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

nowster
Treasurer

A55's mainland roundabouts to go

Post by nowster »

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/bus ... y-10295540
A55 two year traffic misery as Llanfairfechan and Penmaenmawr roundabouts finally to be replaced

The major construction will start in 2017 - and last until 2019

A55 roundabouts at Llanfairfechan and Penmaenmawr are to be replaced with junctions - with two years of traffic delays for drivers.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: A55's mainland roundabouts to go

Post by c2R »

nowster wrote:http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/bus ... y-10295540
A55 two year traffic misery as Llanfairfechan and Penmaenmawr roundabouts finally to be replaced

The major construction will start in 2017 - and last until 2019

A55 roundabouts at Llanfairfechan and Penmaenmawr are to be replaced with junctions - with two years of traffic delays for drivers.
Sounds a fair deal to me - the roundabouts must go.

Unless the money could be spent on A75 improvements instead....
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Great news but haven't people argued on here before that space might be a bit tight to do this in at least one case?
fras

Post by fras »

Having negotiated these ghastly roundabouts many times when my daughter was at Bangor University, I know the feeling of so many motorists, but are they merely to be replaced by traffic lights ? If so, where is the improvement ?

PS the referred newspaper website seems to need 24 hours to load !!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It's GSJ works.

2 years; apparently tunnelling under the A55 and whatnot is needed.

This will leave Britainnia Bridge as the last bottleneck west of the A494.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jackal

Post by jackal »

Bryn666 wrote:It's GSJ works.

2 years; apparently tunnelling under the A55 and whatnot is needed.

This will leave Britainnia Bridge as the last bottleneck west of the A494.
I'd say the short section of A55 west of the TOTSO trumpet with the A494 is also a bottleneck. It is D3 but volumes are very high with lots of weaving, and it is at a standstill during holidays. Apparently the scheme addressing this could start construction in 4 years, though whether the WAG have the stomach to follow through on it after the previous controversy remains to be seen.
MorganFlint M40 A40

Post by MorganFlint M40 A40 »

About time they went, how will they be replaced? They are in a tight spot there.
Motorways travelled in 2017:
M1 M2 M3 M4 M6 M6(Toll) M20 M25 M26 M27 M40 M42 M56 A308(M) A404(M)
jackal

Post by jackal »

MorganFlint M40 A40 wrote:About time they went, how will they be replaced? They are in a tight spot there.
http://gov.wales/topics/transport/roads ... 6/?lang=en
Llanfairfechan

The new junction will have eastbound and westbound entry slip roads from Penmaenmawr Road. The eastbound slip will connect from the Penmaenmawr Road to the junction via a tunnel under the A55.

Penmaenmawr

We will replace the current roundabout with westbound entry and exit slip roads. We will build a bridge over the A55 to provide an eastbound entry slip road from a new T-junction with Ysguborwen Road.
I don't entirely understand why these specific slips are being provided. It doesn't seem that the missing movements are provided by existing slips. Suppose they could be so space constrained they're just cramming in whatever slips they can manage.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Naturally I welcome the upgrade of these junctions. It's something I've been meaning to draw fantasy maps of but never got round to it.

As far as the remaining A55 bottlenecks are concerned no one has mentioned the area around the eastbound Penmaenbach Tunnel with its tight bends and low speed limit.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
mapboy

Post by mapboy »

As far as I am aware, there is a long-term plan to have a new westbound tunnel bored through Penmaenbach. I have no idea how serious a proposal it is however.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

mapboy wrote:As far as I am aware, there is a long-term plan to have a new westbound tunnel bored through Penmaenbach. I have no idea how serious a proposal it is however.
I'm in two minds about that one. On the one hand it's ridiculously below standard - on the other, it's brilliant!
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

It was certainly the long-term plan when the 1980s westbound tunnel was built that there could eventually be a new eastbound tunnel. I don't think it's a current official proposal, but I suppose it could be resurrected some time in the future.

As for the choice of slip roads at the GSJs that will replace the roundabouts, it may just be a matter of confusing wording. Let's suspend judgment until there are plans to look at.
JF2309

Post by JF2309 »

Given the slightly ropey nature of some of the GSJ's on the A55 I'm pretty confident they can knock up something that will require me to slow down to 20mph on the slip road.....
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

What's wrong with having to slow down to 20mph on a slip road to access a small village?
J--M--B

Post by J--M--B »

The diversion for the current A55 work is causing some discontent.

A55 tunnel works 'are a danger to our kids'
JMB
Fort William
http://www.mbriscoe.me.uk

"Give me the third best technology. The second best won't be ready in time. The best will never be ready." Robert Watson-Watt
J--M--B

Post by J--M--B »

JMB
Fort William
http://www.mbriscoe.me.uk

"Give me the third best technology. The second best won't be ready in time. The best will never be ready." Robert Watson-Watt
JF2309

Post by JF2309 »

wrinkly wrote:What's wrong with having to slow down to 20mph on a slip road to access a small village?
Absolutely nothing, but the reason you're being asked to do 20 isn't because of a village it's because of the tight nature or the slip road and the shortness of the slip road.
csd

Post by csd »

I was just thinking what this news means for connecting Ireland to the European expressway/motorway network.

If we ignore, say, a radius of 500 metres around borders, ports, or Chunnel facilities, are these the last yield/stop/traffic lights a driver from Cork or Galway will see before hitting Nis in Serbia? Similarly, it now appears possible to get within 10km of the Ukrainian border in Hungary all the way from the west of Ireland without having to stop except for tolls, ports, and borders.

/csd
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

JF2309 wrote:
wrinkly wrote:What's wrong with having to slow down to 20mph on a slip road to access a small village?
Absolutely nothing, but the reason you're being asked to do 20 isn't because of a village it's because of the tight nature or the slip road and the shortness of the slip road.
That was exactly my point. What's wrong with designing a slip road to require low speeds when the purpose of the slip road is to give access to a small village?

And in the case of Llanfairfechn, the junction is in the village.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Exhibitions tomorrow and Friday:

http://gov.wales/newsroom/transport/201 ... 1/?lang=en

There don't appear to be any plans online at the moment.