Lowest and highest cattle grids on motorable roads?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris56000

Lowest and highest cattle grids on motorable roads?

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

Is the cattle grid on the tidal marsh road heading out of Overton towards Sunderland Point in Lancashire the winning candidate for being the lowest one in GB in terms of feet above sea-level (I don't think it's more than 2' a.s.l. in total) or can anyone point me in the direction of any lower ones?

What's the highest cattle-grid (again, feet above s.l.,) on the GB mainland?

Chris Williams
Ruperts Trooper

Re: Lowest and highest cattle grids on motorable roads?

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

The highest cattle-grid in England on a public road is at Langdon Common, on the unclassified road between Langdon Beck and St Johns Chapel in County Durham - as that's the highest public road in England.

I can't remember if there's a cattle-grid (deer-grid) on the Bealach-na-Ba on Applecross or the A93 at the Cairnwell.
Lifelong motorhead
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

There are definitely some on the A93 near Glenshee.
AndrewGPaul

Post by AndrewGPaul »

There's this one on the Rhu road south of Arisaig. Looks like a storm tide could fill it up!
coneman

Post by coneman »

Can I nominate the cattle grid on the B797 Lanarkshire / Dumfriesshire border at Wanlockhead , approx 1540 ft above sea level.
https://goo.gl/maps/xVuGVpgYxZm
Many a guid tune played on an auld fiddle.
Ruperts Trooper

AndrewGPaul wrote:There's this one on the Rhu road south of Arisaig. Looks like a storm tide could fill it up!
Don't the animals just walk around it on the beach ?
Lifelong motorhead
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Ruperts Trooper wrote:The highest cattle-grid in England on a public road is at Langdon Common, on the unclassified road between Langdon Beck and St Johns Chapel in County Durham - as that's the highest public road in England.

I can't remember if there's a cattle-grid (deer-grid) on the Bealach-na-Ba on Applecross or the A93 at the Cairnwell.
Was going to post that as I've ridden my bike there. Better known to most as Chapel Fell, reads as 2,010ft above sea level.

It's not actually the highest cattle grid I've ridden over, that would belong to the entrance to the NATS control centre at the top of Great Dun Fell which is at 2,820ft but that road is not publicly open to motor vehicles - although the road is perfectly 'motorable' if you have the relevant permissions.
michael769

Post by michael769 »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Don't the animals just walk around it on the beach ?
There is a fence between the road and the beach on the other side of the grid.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
Take the pledge
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Mark Hewitt wrote: It's not actually the highest cattle grid I've ridden over, that would belong to the entrance to the NATS control centre at the top of Great Dun Fell which is at 2,820ft but that road is not publicly open to motor vehicles - although the road is perfectly 'motorable' if you have the relevant permissions.
Ahh! Is that the building that looks like a hilltop observatory, visible to the east of the Lake District? :?
vlad

Post by vlad »

I'd call it a golf ball personally - but you're thinking of the right building.

The road to the top does make Great Dun Fell perhaps the easiest hill in the country to climb.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
crb11

Post by crb11 »

The lowest I know of is in Soham, probably about 5m ASL. (Below 10 and the nearest spot height is 4.)

There have been proposals by the National Trust to install one on Harrison's Drove at Wicken Fen, which would be lower than this but still above sea level, but as far as I know it hasn't happened - there was a lot of local opposition.

There might be one out in the sub-zero parts of the Fens, but I don't know of one.
[real name Colin]
Ruperts Trooper

crb11 wrote:The lowest I know of is in Soham, probably about 5m ASL. (Below 10 and the nearest spot height is 4.)

There have been proposals by the National Trust to install one on Harrison's Drove at Wicken Fen, which would be lower than this but still above sea level, but as far as I know it hasn't happened - there was a lot of local opposition.

There might be one out in the sub-zero parts of the Fens, but I don't know of one.
Since Fenland is almost exclusively arable farming rather than livestock that's unlikely - but not impossible.
Lifelong motorhead
Jam35

Post by Jam35 »

Chris56000 wrote:What's the highest cattle-grid (again, feet above s.l.,) on the GB mainland?
Possibly the south end of Bwlch-yr-Efengyl (near Capel-y-ffin, Brecknockshire)? 1510ft/460m-ish.
haggishunter

Post by haggishunter »

There is a cattle grid on the A939 right beside the Cafe building at the Lecht Ski Area around 2090ft. Almost certainly the highest in Scotland though not on a public road is almost at the summit of Lowther Hill just before the loop around the NATS radar station at around at approximately 2370ft.
J--M--B

Post by J--M--B »

I wonder if there are any 'cattle grids' in the entrance roads to any mines or even in mines? They are often used to divert running water and could be well below seal level.
JMB
Fort William
http://www.mbriscoe.me.uk

"Give me the third best technology. The second best won't be ready in time. The best will never be ready." Robert Watson-Watt
Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

J--M--B wrote:I wonder if there are any 'cattle grids' in the entrance roads to any mines or even in mines? They are often used to divert running water and could be well below seal level.
I think the only cattle grid now below seal level would be one that was once in Dunwich :lol:
crb11

Post by crb11 »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: There might be one out in the sub-zero parts of the Fens, but I don't know of one.
Since Fenland is almost exclusively arable farming rather than livestock that's unlikely - but not impossible.[/quote]

That was my thinking too. I was very surprised to encounter the Soham one.
[real name Colin]
paully

Post by paully »

There are cattle grids on the private road up to Glendoe Dam near Fort Augustus. The road itself goes up to about 760m (>2400ft) but I can't remember exactly where the cattle grids are. To be honest I don't think they are on the very top bit but may still be about 2000ft.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

There are a few head of cattle in the Fens but I don't think they're below sea level and I'm not sure if they're protected by a cattle grid!

http://britishheritage.com/the-fens-eng ... a-level-2/
bealach na ba

Post by bealach na ba »

Ruperts Trooper wrote:I can't remember if there's a cattle-grid (deer-grid) on the Bealach na Ba on Applecross ...
The only one is on the village side at roughly NG 7167 4454, only 50m above OD. The eastern side doesn't have any cattle grid between the summit and Tornapress Junction (A896).

The highest I know of is Great Dun Fell - I've been there once in a vehicle, with the appropriate permission (and a few times on foot).