A59 closed again at Kex Gill

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Re: A59 closed again at Kex Gill

Post by ForestChav »

Well, at least it's nowhere near Mam Tor, not sure they could do anything about that even now, it's one thing blasting through a cliff face but when the ground isn't solid enough to put a road on it without it falling down the hill, what can you do? A shame really because the alignment is good.
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
stu531

Post by stu531 »

hat wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 15:29
Just purely shortsighted:
The one bit of feedback I gave was that, the stretch at the very top of the pass and the little bridge (here) should've been straightened out. The reason he gave was that literally, the length that WSP had been asked to conduct the study on didn't include that area. This is IMHO an opportunity missed. The new alignment forks off at the T-junction.
I'd completely forgotten I'd written that. Yep, the WSP guy had simply said they'd not been asked to go that far west, and to it was the entry-point to the scheme at the western end. Wouldn't surprise me if this stemmed from some kind of administrative error: 'the problems start here' - and nothing to the west of that was considered.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Expect that to be a KSI cluster in a few years time then when a new build slams into a goat track...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
hat

Post by hat »

More problems tonight with reports of a sink hole opening up between fewston reservoir and the hopper lane hotel
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

hat wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 20:46 More problems tonight with reports of a sink hole opening up between fewston reservoir and the hopper lane hotel
HE engineers are looking into it
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
hat

Post by hat »

any news on a start date for this project?
stu531

Post by stu531 »

hat wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 09:05 any news on a start date for this project?
Good timing on that question - this has just come out today:

https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/news/arti ... ent-scheme

https://www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/193 ... es-tender/
stu531

Post by stu531 »

Hmm, more delays may be on the way...
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

As mentioned in another thread this scheme was listed in the budget announcement. It may or may not be coincidental that the BBC now has this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-y ... e-62997300
A £69m scheme to improve a landslip-blighted route in North Yorkshire is due to start before the end of 2022, the county council has said.

The A59 at Kex Gill, linking Harrogate and Skipton, has been hit by 12 landslips since 2000, leading to road closures and repeated repairs.

North Yorkshire County Council said contractors would clear moorland from December to avoid the nesting season.

It is hoped the work, which has seen a £7.2m price rise, will end in May 2025.

A council meeting previously heard the jump in costs for the delayed realignment project was due to "volatile conditions" in the construction industry.

The project is being funded by a £56.1m Department for Transport grant, with the rest paid for with the council's capital reserves, a council spokesperson said.
stu531

Post by stu531 »

This was in the local news last week: '£69m Kex Gill realignment beset by further delay'.

That said, I drove down here yesterday and I've noticed they're clearing out the easternmost part of the to-be route of trees. I can't see why they'd be felling trees in that precise area without it being something to do with the new route. Nothing new on the NYCC website though.
hat

Post by hat »

I drove the route a couple of weeks ago and noticed what looked like wooden fencing going up at the western end, on moor road so it seems like ground clearance is being started despite this funding delay
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

stu531 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:29 This was in the local news last week: '£69m Kex Gill realignment beset by further delay'.

That said, I drove down here yesterday and I've noticed they're clearing out the easternmost part of the to-be route of trees. I can't see why they'd be felling trees in that precise area without it being something to do with the new route. Nothing new on the NYCC website though.
Possibly clearing the trees before the nesting season, otherwise more delays would be incurred.
Lifelong motorhead
BurningHorizons

Post by BurningHorizons »

wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Items on various newspaper websites, e.g. Yorkshire Post.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/must-re ... nt-4037926

There was a brief item on the lunchtime edition of BBC Look North (Leeds). When that happens there's often a longer version on the early evening edition.
stu531

Post by stu531 »

wrinkly wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 13:55 There was a brief item on the lunchtime edition of BBC Look North (Leeds). When that happens there's often a longer version on the early evening edition.
Yep, you're right. It was on Look North this evening - 9m 15s in...

Maybe the same as what Hat was saying, but at the west side there are marker pegs in the ground. I passed at about 10am this morning and there was loads of activity in that area - possibly because there was an MP there due to visit...

Have to say at the western end, the land is at a reasonably significant angle to lay the road. I'm sure they know what they're doing, but can't help feel that taking the route down the direct old route of North Moor Road would've been better.
hat

Post by hat »

stu531 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 20:13
wrinkly wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 13:55 There was a brief item on the lunchtime edition of BBC Look North (Leeds). When that happens there's often a longer version on the early evening edition.
Yep, you're right. It was on Look North this evening - 9m 15s in...

Maybe the same as what Hat was saying, but at the west side there are marker pegs in the ground. I passed at about 10am this morning and there was loads of activity in that area - possibly because there was an MP there due to visit...

Have to say at the western end, the land is at a reasonably significant angle to lay the road. I'm sure they know what they're doing, but can't help feel that taking the route down the direct old route of North Moor Road would've been better.
If you mean to include the bridge then yes it’s obvious to anyone that the new route should start from there but apparently this was outside the area that was considered in scope
stu531

Post by stu531 »

And, more closures on the way...

Personally a pain for me as I'm over the Pennines at least weekly these days, but then again - all the better for it being sorted out in the long term. It'll be closed from 9th October for 5 weeks.