The A30 in Cornwall

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A303Chris

Re: The A30 in Cornwall

Post by A303Chris »

Norfolktolancashire wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 15:41 I'm down in Cornwall most months now and have found the Temple D2 a vast improvement, and noticed queues on a summer weekend to Carland roundabout, sometimes this has been aggravated by the steepish climb to it, corresponding slow vehicles and poor driving by overtaking at the last moment of said slow vehicles. There is a lot of traffic Truro bound from there although I tend to use the B road further up from Redruth to Helston avoiding Truro and Falmouth area.

I think I have said before that a link road from the A30 to Falmouth avoiding Truro completely would help.
I concur with that, Carland is now starting to see queues. Like you I stay on the A30 when going to the Lizard and Helston but get off at Camborne West and use the B3303 rather than the B3297 through Redruth as I have found this quicker
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Euan

Post by Euan »

Is there any particular reason for the B3303/B3302 route to Helston being quicker and less congested than the B3297 route? Both routes look to have very similar general characteristics, but would the B3302 stopping short of Helston itself be a factor?
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

Euan wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 17:02 Is there any particular reason for the B3303/B3302 route to Helston being quicker and less congested than the B3297 route? Both routes look to have very similar general characteristics, but would the B3302 stopping short of Helston itself be a factor?
For me it is the signed Redruth to Helston route and seems to carry a higher volume of traffic. It also has several single lane sections which slows speeds down. Also it seems to take an age to get from the edge of Redruth to the A30, but the B3303 through Camborne to the A30 feels a lot quicker
tompatt

Post by tompatt »

I was on this road the other day (Friday afternoon) and had to queue for some time at Carland cross on the Falmouth A39 trying to get on the A30 Eastbound. I was increasingly frustrated by people crawling up the left hand lane and trying to 'push in'.

Its a poor junction as traffic entering the island from the Westbound A30 is coming in at speed, with little traffic turning right from the Eastbound side to give way to. Virtually all traffic heading from that direction towards Truro will have come off at the Chiverton. Furthermore those continuing their journey West are also having to merge into a single carriageway adding to the log jam.

Are there any solutions to this, does going through Shortlanesend on the B3282 and joining at Zelah work?
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

tompatt wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 16:52 I was on this road the other day (Friday afternoon) and had to queue for some time at Carland cross on the Falmouth A39 trying to get on the A30 Eastbound. I was increasingly frustrated by people crawling up the left hand lane and trying to 'push in'.

Its a poor junction as traffic entering the island from the Westbound A30 is coming in at speed, with little traffic turning right from the Eastbound side to give way to. Virtually all traffic heading from that direction towards Truro will have come off at the Chiverton. Furthermore those continuing their journey West are also having to merge into a single carriageway adding to the log jam.

Are there any solutions to this, does going through Shortlanesend on the B3282 and joining at Zelah work?
The whole junction is due to be GSJ when the A30 is upgraded to D2 westwards.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by tompatt » Wed Nov 14, 2018 16:52

I was on this road the other day (Friday afternoon) and had to queue for some time at Carland cross on the Falmouth A39 trying to get on the A30 Eastbound. I was increasingly frustrated by people crawling up the left hand lane and trying to 'push in'.
Well I was reluctant to say anything, not having experienced the traffic in the area, I don't know of any good short term solutions. However I'd like to add to the point that the Chiverton to Carland scheme should fix this.

All the A30 traffic would simply pass under the junction and so should not cause problems for the junction any more. The current A30 (to the west) will become a local route, so it would generate some traffic, but this should be greatly less than the current A30 traffic, so the junction would hopefully manage comfortably with this.

In the short term, yes there would still be problems, and I can't see any good way to avoid them. I suspect that going through Zelah probably wouldn't work out well. The road through Zalah is only suitable for small volumes of traffic, and looking on Google Earth, part of the route to Zelah is only a single track lane. So if that route was any good, then lots of people would be trying it and it would be jammed up. I wonder about going via Summercourt. The roads that way at least seem to be proper single carriageways, but it is a fair bit more complicated, and quite a long route. So it would not be worth using unless the A39 was really bad.

In the longer term, construction of the new scheme is due to start in 2020, and it seems to be pretty well on schedule. So at least it should all be sorted out in a few years.
85CF380

Post by 85CF380 »

Ventured down to Cornwall for 1st time in 20years - used to be a annual event in the late 60's early 70's! The new section at Temple looked good & fitted in seamlessly. It made the remaining S2 past Zelah look vintage & well out of date. Hope they start that soon as promised. I also think they need to do something at the northerly Hayle roundabout, Loggans Moor? It worked fine at 7.30am but by mid-day it caused queues on the A30 - as the amount of traffic crossing the A30 built up.
On the journey back I was surprised by how much traffic there was on the Exeter -Bristol M5, it was busier than the M5 through Gloucs.
Euan

Post by Euan »

85CF380 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 16:55 Ventured down to Cornwall for 1st time in 20years - used to be a annual event in the late 60's early 70's! The new section at Temple looked good & fitted in seamlessly. It made the remaining S2 past Zelah look vintage & well out of date. Hope they start that soon as promised. I also think they need to do something at the northerly Hayle roundabout, Loggans Moor? It worked fine at 7.30am but by mid-day it caused queues on the A30 - as the amount of traffic crossing the A30 built up.
On the journey back I was surprised by how much traffic there was on the Exeter -Bristol M5, it was busier than the M5 through Gloucs.
I would probably expect the traffic on the M5 between Exeter and Bristol to be busier than on the M5 north of Bristol. By that point you have lost all of the Bristol bound traffic as well as the traffic crossing over to Wales. There might even be some drivers heading towards London via the M4 wishing to avoid the A303 which will make a difference too.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Berk

Post by Berk »

I’ll have to report back on the traffic when I head down for my June break. I’m planning to stop at Solstice Park overnight on the way down, then head A303/A30/A38 down to Plymouth, then have a break, before going over to Gunnislake, A390, A38, and back to the A30 again and over to Newquay.

Coming back will be A30/303/34/43 all the way. :)
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Have another trip scheduled for first week of the summer holidays. It's Friday to Friday though so if I book something extra for the Thursday evening, I might miss the worst of the traffic. That will probably be the Premier Inn at Honiton which I've done once before and sets me up for a less than 100 mile trip for the Friday. Staying on the Roseland again and that's mainly out of the way of trouble and the Carland Cross to Chiverton Cross and Lelant to Long Rock single carriageway sections won't be of concern. But I usually go once a Cornwall holiday to St. Ives and I will be seeking again to swerve Logans Moor and the Hayle Bypass. I'm also tempted this year by the Park and Ride from Lelant Saltings.

Now if only someone could think up a solution for the A303 :scratchchin:
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Euan wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 22:19 I would probably expect the traffic on the M5 between Exeter and Bristol to be busier than on the M5 north of Bristol. By that point you have lost all of the Bristol bound traffic as well as the traffic crossing over to Wales. There might even be some drivers heading towards London via the M4 wishing to avoid the A303 which will make a difference too.
AADF levels on the M5 taper off pretty rapidly once you get past Taunton as you lose the traffic to the Quantocks, Exmoor, Dorset and SE Devon. Certainly last summer the busiest section seemed to be between Bradley Stoke and Bristol and there wasn't even the excuse of the Glastonbury festival that weekend :) The worst section was between the approach to J15 (the M4 junction) and Avonmouth along which traffic was stop start the whole way as the 2 streams first merged then weaved positioning themselves for the various exits for Cribbs Causeway, Avonmouth and Portishead etc.

Exeter to Launceston was pretty straightforward and very fast.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

multiraider2 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 09:45 Have another trip scheduled for first week of the summer holidays. It's Friday to Friday though so if I book something extra for the Thursday evening, I might miss the worst of the traffic. That will probably be the Premier Inn at Honiton which I've done once before and sets me up for a less than 100 mile trip for the Friday. Staying on the Roseland again and that's mainly out of the way of trouble and the Carland Cross to Chiverton Cross and Lelant to Long Rock single carriageway sections won't be of concern. But I usually go once a Cornwall holiday to St. Ives and I will be seeking again to swerve Logans Moor and the Hayle Bypass. I'm also tempted this year by the Park and Ride from Lelant Saltings.

Now if only someone could think up a solution for the A303 :scratchchin:
I used the park and "train" ride at Lelant Saltings last June on a Saturday, it was packed like a London Tube train at rush hour! Nice views though if you get a train seat on the right hand side.

After several Friday to Friday cottage bookings around Roseland and Lizard areas of Cornwall, I have found the main issue was coming back along the A30 and M5 during mid morning on the Friday, lots of people do the same Friday/Friday lets! Even along most of the D2 sections of the A30, there are lots of drivers who will not return to the inside lane, therefore "blocking" overtaking of the HGV's going uphill. Some of the A30 reaches 1000 feet above sea level.

I found the M5 north a nightmare on these Fridays all the way up to Bristol. It will be worse if the A303 finally gets built to Taunton.

I have found waiting around in Cornwall until at least early afternoon on the Friday makes the travelling back easier with less traffic.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Norfolktolancashire wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 17:26 I used the park and "train" ride at Lelant Saltings last June on a Saturday, it was packed like a London Tube train at rush hour! Nice views though if you get a train seat on the right hand side.

After several Friday to Friday cottage bookings around Roseland and Lizard areas of Cornwall, I have found the main issue was coming back along the A30 and M5 during mid morning on the Friday, lots of people do the same Friday/Friday lets! Even along most of the D2 sections of the A30, there are lots of drivers who will not return to the inside lane, therefore "blocking" overtaking of the HGV's going uphill. Some of the A30 reaches 1000 feet above sea level.

I found the M5 north a nightmare on these Fridays all the way up to Bristol. It will be worse if the A303 finally gets built to Taunton.

I have found waiting around in Cornwall until at least early afternoon on the Friday makes the travelling back easier with less traffic.
Thanks for the advice re the train. I was hoping for less people but if like that even in June, perhaps not.

Yes, I think holiday letting companies/owners originally thought Friday to Friday would be clever to allow their customers to miss the traffic. Now there are as many changeovers on a Friday as a Saturday and it doesn't help. LIzard Holidays Cottages (free plug for Alison the owner) http://www.lizardholidaycottages.co.uk/ who have a few in Coverack do a Sunday to Sunday changeover and I sailed passed Stonehenge on the A303 when I went in August a few years ago.

I also agree that things do seem to get a bit better going back later. Now I try to make a day of it by stopping in Cornwall or Devon until after lunchtime.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Euan wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 22:19 I would probably expect the traffic on the M5 between Exeter and Bristol to be busier than on the M5 north of Bristol. By that point you have lost all of the Bristol bound traffic as well as the traffic crossing over to Wales. There might even be some drivers heading towards London via the M4 wishing to avoid the A303 which will make a difference too.
I checked Farnborough-Truro and Heathrow-Truro using viaMichelin. Even travelling from Heathrow, the A303 was better than the M4/M5 - timewise 4h32 as against 4h40 (8 minutes faster) and distance-wise 402 km vs 436 km (34 km less). From Farnborough, the time benefit of using the A303 was 28 minutes and the distance benefit was 55 km).

PS: I always work in km so that I can monitor my journeys against driver location signs and location marker posts.
Euan

Post by Euan »

Vierwielen wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 20:44
I checked Farnborough-Truro and Heathrow-Truro using viaMichelin. Even travelling from Heathrow, the A303 was better than the M4/M5 - timewise 4h32 as against 4h40 (8 minutes faster) and distance-wise 402 km vs 436 km (34 km less). From Farnborough, the time benefit of using the A303 was 28 minutes and the distance benefit was 55 km).

PS: I always work in km so that I can monitor my journeys against driver location signs and location marker posts.
The A303 would definitely be the preferred route to Cornwall from Farnborough. I don't think it would be worth the difficulty trying to cross over to the M4 corridor for the sake of using an indirect motorway most of the way.
Berk

Post by Berk »

multiraider2 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 22:15
Norfolktolancashire wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 17:26 I used the park and "train" ride at Lelant Saltings last June on a Saturday, it was packed like a London Tube train at rush hour! Nice views though if you get a train seat on the right hand side.

Thanks for the advice re the train. I was hoping for less people but if like that even in June, perhaps not.

Yes, I think holiday letting companies/owners originally thought Friday to Friday would be clever to allow their customers to miss the traffic. Now there are as many changeovers on a Friday as a Saturday and it doesn't help. LIzard Holidays Cottages (free plug for Alison the owner) http://www.lizardholidaycottages.co.uk/ who have a few in Coverack do a Sunday to Sunday changeover and I sailed passed Stonehenge on the A303 when I went in August a few years ago.

I also agree that things do seem to get a bit better going back later. Now I try to make a day of it by stopping in Cornwall or Devon until after lunchtime.
That’s interesting to know. I too will be travelling Friday-Friday. On the first Friday, I’ll be stopping overnight at Solstice Park (so it’s not a mega drive on the Saturday - well, less of a one anyway). Plus it means I’ll be ‘ahead of the game’ passing Stonehenge not long after setting off.

On the second Friday, however, I’ll be going A30 all the way (from Sennen Cove). Last time wasn’t too bad (even though the Temple section was a bit of a nightmare, wasn’t widened then). I’m planning stops at Jamaica Inn and Drewsteignton before heading back to Stonehenge.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Logans Roundabout (Hayle) to be improved :

https://cornishstuff.com/2020/09/30/mon ... oundabout/
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:44 Logans Roundabout (Hayle) to be improved :

https://cornishstuff.com/2020/09/30/mon ... oundabout/
Already covered here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41911
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

One of the interesting features of the A30 location marker posts west of Exeter is that they use Lands End rather than London as their reference point - the M5/A30 junction (SW of Exeter) is has a marker post of 195.8 [km].
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

At last looking for something else, but finally found where the Trunk Road ends on Cornwall Council website
We are responsible for maintaining over 7,250 kilometres (4,530 miles) of roads in Cornwall. Highways England manage the A30 and A38. We are responsible for the A30 west of the Chy-An-Morr roundabout.
Now for another query, but was it the Tesco roundabout, when the Heliport was there and before Sainsburys?