M8 J29A started?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

sammy2710

M8 J29A started?

Post by sammy2710 »

passed the location of where the proposed M8 J29A half diamond junction is to be built allowing access east from A8 Greenock Rd onto Glasgow bound M8
and access for westbound traffic leaving the M8 onto A8 Greenock Road. which is planned as part of the ROF Bishopton development, there is quite a bit of tree felling and ground clearing taking place on the north side of the motorway at present, hopefully this means they're going to make a start at last on the junction and ease some of the congestion at the A8/A726 Red Smiddy Roundabout
HandShandy

Re: M8 J29A started?

Post by HandShandy »

Really??

I live about 1 mile from there and use that road that passes over the M8 quite often and I haven't noticed this. I will check on the way to work tomorrow.

I actually enquired about the status of this proposal to Transport Scotland back in June 2014. I was a little surprised to find that the head of network maintenance got back to me with this reply:

"I am replying to your e-mail of 30 June 2014. I should explain that this improvement is being taken forward by the developer of the former Bishopton ammunitions site, BAE Systems rather than Transport Scotland. This is a condition in relation to the planning permission for the development of the site.

The current programmed date for the opening of the new ramps is December 2018. The planning requirement is that the ramps should be open once 650 houses are occupied. The rate of construction cannot be accelerated as it is dependent on the land being released in previously defined packages, it could be later if the housing market stalls.

Discussions are on-going between the developer, ourselves, SEPA and Renfrewshire Council about the remaining remedial works."

That's the last I heard about it. Will report back here if I see/hear anything new
Explore the history of the trunk roads and motorways of Glasgow and the West of Scotland at Glasgows-Motorways.co.uk
Follow us on twitter: @GlasgowsMways
Check out our Facebook page: Glasgow Motorway Archive
HandShandy

Post by HandShandy »

I tried to see activity in the dark from the A8 overbridge a couple nights ago and couldn't see anything.

Had a chat with a colleague who informed me that it's likely to be going ahead since the Dargavel village developer is approaching the criteria for houses-built that warrants the junction being constructed.

Today on the way home from work I seen the tree clearing and some earth works going on in the vicinity aswell as the "goalposts" in place beneath the power lines so your right Sammy - it looks like it's happening and ahead of schedule!

Excellent stuff to see this junction reopened after all these years. If anyone has any details/dates of when it originally shut after Bishopton stage 2 was finished in 1975 then please spill the beans.
Explore the history of the trunk roads and motorways of Glasgow and the West of Scotland at Glasgows-Motorways.co.uk
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

It appears to be a distorted half-dumbell. There's a plan here - no guarantee it's the current version.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j ... 2729864342
Gav

Post by Gav »

This was a temporary junction at one time - taken away with the M8 opened and now its being put back....
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

There's a thread about that somewhere.
jackal

Post by jackal »

wrinkly wrote:It appears to be a distorted half-dumbell. There's a plan here - no guarantee it's the current version.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j ... 2729864342
If that's what they're building it's quite unnecessarily ugly, requiring essentially a U-turn at the roundabout to get from the offslip over the bridge.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

Quite a few development driven junction proposals around in Scotland at the moment.

We had J4A on the M8 a few years ago. J2 M876 and J2A M73 as well.

Active proposals I'm aware of include:

Winchburgh / Duntarvie M9 junction (1B?)

West facing slips at M9 J3.

South facing slips at M77 J4 (although this seems to have fallen out of favour with a new J5 - Barrhead road now proposed instead).

Any others?
sheeldz

Post by sheeldz »

Altnabreac wrote:South facing slips at M77 J4 (although this seems to have fallen out of favour with a new J5 - Barrhead road now proposed instead).
This is interesting. What would they change at J5? When it was upgraded as part of the A725 GSO project I always assumed it'd run west towards Barrhead. I've even drawn a fantasy route up a few times in the past (once posted on here, now long lost).
I host an ambient, electronic and avant garde music podcast. Don't say I didn't warn you.
http://www.mixcloud.com/sheeldz/
@mondaygraveyard
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Altnabreac wrote:Quite a few development driven junction proposals around in Scotland at the moment.

Any others?
Perhaps not development driven (unless you count the development of the new Forth crossing!), but the west-facing slips at M9 J1A are of course recent, and I think those at M9 J5 are also more recent than the original junction.
sheeldz wrote:
Altnabreac wrote:South facing slips at M77 J4 (although this seems to have fallen out of favour with a new J5 - Barrhead road now proposed instead).
This is interesting. What would they change at J5?
Could be as little as a small new at-grade roundabout on the A77, west of the main roundabout.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

sheeldz wrote:
This is interesting. What would they change at J5? When it was upgraded as part of the A725 GSO project I always assumed it'd run west towards Barrhead. I've even drawn a fantasy route up a few times in the past (once posted on here, now long lost).
They wouldn't need to hugely change Junction 5. The point is that previously East Renfrewshire Council favoured a Barrhead link road joining the M77 at Junction 4. This would then need Junction 4 to have south facing slips added. They now appear to be in favour of a new Barrhead road linking in to junction 5, thus negating the requirement for new southbound slips at junction 4.
HandShandy

Post by HandShandy »

Time to update this thread.

Morgan Sindall were appointed as the contractor to build the new junction a few months ago and I can confirm that their site compound is now set up and works are starting.

The junction is said to be open and ready to use by early 2020.
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

3 years? Do they only have 3 employees or something? The A1(M) upgrade has taken only just longer and is nearly finished. Any particular reason a junction addition is taking 3 years to build?
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It won't take 3 years to build but it may be 3 years before the planning condition that permits it to open is satisfied.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

I suppose that'd do it, although some work teams I've seen 3 years wouldn't be about right ;-)
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
HandShandy

Post by HandShandy »

What Bryn said :)

I know it seems like a ludicrous amount of time in comparison to other schemes but the reason for the junction's construction is due to the number of houses being built nearby on the old ROF site. It needs to be finished and open once around the 1000th house is occupied.

There are some civil engineering challenges aswell from what I've heard. After the old slip roads were shut (80s I think) the south side of the junction was used as an industrial landfill site so that has to all be cleared. I'm also led to believe that the ground conditions are less than favourable.
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

M8 Southbar Junction "grand" reopening

Post by Duncan macknight »

Drove past southbar today on my way to Erskine and the work is proceeding quite well. The site has been cleared and the base for the sliproads have been marked out. The hard shoulder has been closed Glasgow bound for the duration of the works and no carriageway restrictions are in place..yet!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: M8 Southbar Junction "grand" reopening

Post by c2R »

Cheers for the update - link to previous thread: viewtopic.php?t=35471
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

The two threads have now been merged.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!