Leeds Skelton Lake Services...

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

roadtester

Re: Leeds Skelton Lake Services...

Post by roadtester »

Stevie D wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2016 20:27
NICK 647063 wrote:I do agree but also having them on a Junction lets locals use them without going on the motorway, I know extra are asking locals what they want from them, Just to the east site of the services will be a new town and I'm sure locals will use the services for a mcd's or M&S as they charge the same prices as the normal high street stores..... I know these days its all about getting the community on board with these things and I do really like extra services.....
Certainly in days gone by, MSAs were not allowed to be built in a location and design that turned them into destinations in and of themselves – so they would only be used by people who were passing them on their journey. That restriction has clearly been relaxed, given some of the locations that have sprung up in recent years, but perhaps we should still pay some heed to it. On the outskirts of a major city like Leeds, there really is no excuse for people not to have more appropriate local facilities!
Replying to a post that's quite old, I know, but I was just thinking about this the other day.

I much prefer online services and some of our off-line services clearly overload their junction roundabout but this presumably also cuts the other way - MSAs can perhaps be provided where locals provide some fo the demand in locations where they might not otherwise be viable.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
tom1977

Post by tom1977 »

roadtester wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 14:50
Stevie D wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2016 20:27
NICK 647063 wrote:I do agree but also having them on a Junction lets locals use them without going on the motorway, I know extra are asking locals what they want from them, Just to the east site of the services will be a new town and I'm sure locals will use the services for a mcd's or M&S as they charge the same prices as the normal high street stores..... I know these days its all about getting the community on board with these things and I do really like extra services.....
Certainly in days gone by, MSAs were not allowed to be built in a location and design that turned them into destinations in and of themselves – so they would only be used by people who were passing them on their journey. That restriction has clearly been relaxed, given some of the locations that have sprung up in recent years, but perhaps we should still pay some heed to it. On the outskirts of a major city like Leeds, there really is no excuse for people not to have more appropriate local facilities!
Replying to a post that's quite old, I know, but I was just thinking about this the other day.

I much prefer online services and some of our off-line services clearly overload their junction roundabout but this presumably also cuts the other way - MSAs can perhaps be provided where locals provide some fo the demand in locations where they might not otherwise be viable.
Reading the new CD 122 (motorway junctions) standard last week, I noted that the relaxations available for online services have been removed. It will probably be impossible/commercially unviable to get permission for new online services in future
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

I drove past this last week. Didn't stop to look in detail, more a case of grabbing glance as I went by on the M1.

A lot of the structure seems to be up now - if the filling station canopy and the wavy-roofed main building that are taking shape are anything to go by, it's going to be absolutely enormous.

Separately I read that it will also host one of Ionity's very rapid EV chargers, thanks to an agreement between Ionity and Extra.
Electrophorus Electricus

NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

So the services partly opened last week, due to the ongoing situation the services will be opening in stages, the petrol station and shop opened last week and it’s a large shop with good toilet facilities and deli which of course isn’t open, one thing I noted is the fuel prices here are much more reasonable than other MSA’s, to compare diesel today at Wetherby MSA was 138.9 but Skelton lake is 125.9 obviously still a bit more than in Leeds but still cheap for a service area, interestingly the petrol station here is owned by a company that has a number of petrol stations in Yorkshire but the main services are Extra, what might have helped fuel prices is the fact a new petrol station opened a few months ago on the A63 just at the other side of the M1 near the park and ride.

Anyway as for the services main building it looks fantastic and looking at the photos on google posted by extra the inside looks really stunning compared to many services.

It’s also well signed the signage north of Wetherby near walshford is now updated and instead of showing Wetherby services & Ferrybridge A1(M), Woolley Edge M1 and Hartshead Moor M62...... the new sign has Wetherby & Ferrybridge A1(M) and Leeds Skelton Lake M1 17 miles, obviously now we have Leeds Skelton lake prior to both Woolley edge and Hartshead Moor these are now not shown, it’s good to see all the signage updated and many miles away.
stu531

Post by stu531 »

Good to know, Nick...

What a shame it's had to open under these circumstances; I know they were on a big recruitment drive in the area so hopefully those roles will be picked up later.

Looking forward to seeing more photos!
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

I need to be up that way for an event in September (hopefully still going ahead), and I noticed the Ramada hotel at he MSA is now showing as available on the hotel booking systems. It's only £37 for the night I'm looking for, so I may give it a try!
Electrophorus Electricus

NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Hopefully you should be ok for September, I’m not sure what the situation is at the moment with the services only the petrol station was open about 6 weeks ago, I’m sure now either the full MSA is open or it’s very soon to be opened, obviously it’s a phased opening due to the current situation.
delinquentwoody

Post by delinquentwoody »

It sounds like another phase of this service station has now opened..

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/pe ... ke-2923255

Brands now open include
Burger King
Starbucks
Spar
Pasty Shop
Quicksilver
Urban Express
Texaco

It sounds as though the main part is still to open.. brands still to come in the next phase (no date given) are
Pizza Express
Nandos
Harry Ramsdens
KFC
Leon
Upper Crust
Mi Casa
Chopstix

This sounds like quite a selection..12 different food brands.. think I'll definitely stop here next time I'm in that neck of the woods.

Out of interest 12 food brands in one services.. are there any that can beat this?