Pathetic Dual Carriageways.

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Andy P

Re: Pathetic Dual Carriageways.

Post by Andy P »

trickstat wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 13:45
Owain wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 13:18 Here's a similarly comical example.
I suppose as a single-carriageway that road could have quite a nasty camber on it.
At the point where the small garden begins, the two carriageways are at completely different levels. It seems a good solution.
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

DavidBrown wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 14:25 Looking at GSV, that A610 example is on some reasonably steep hills and so would initially have been built as climbing lanes.
I understand it was actually subsidence from mining activity which led to the lane reductions - it was initially D2 - and lowering speed limits (it used to be 50 and I think is now 40, which is a lot more sensible really).
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

Would this count?
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
jervi

Post by jervi »

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Both of those examples are exactly what is wrong with modern housing estate design.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jervi

Post by jervi »

I'd prefer those to this though
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.85007 ... 312!8i6656
Made much worse by Brighton & Hove Council's incorrect and confusing signage.
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

jervi wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 15:06 I'd prefer those to this though
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.85007 ... 312!8i6656
Made much worse by Brighton & Hove Council's incorrect and confusing signage.
o/t, but I want to know what the story is here
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Al__S wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 16:08 o/t, but I want to know what the story is here
As overheard in the humble and loving abode of Mr and Mrs Bucket (pronounced Bouquet) :wink:

"I say darling, there appears to be an industrial looking vehicle in the road"
"A delivery, dear?"
"No, it has been parked there for several days and is certainly reducing the value of this property. I swear I can feel it happening as we speak."
"Not to worry sweetheart, I shall slip a £5 note to those young lads who sit outside the local hostelry. They'll help us fine citizens and persuade the owner to remove that unsightly pantechnicon."

The next morning....
"Richaaard!!!!" :twisted:
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Big Nick wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 19:17
Al__S wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 16:08 o/t, but I want to know what the story is here
As overheard in the humble and loving abode of Mr and Mrs Bucket (pronounced Bouquet) :wink:

"I say darling, there appears to be an industrial looking vehicle in the road"
"A delivery, dear?"
"No, it has been parked there for several days and is certainly reducing the value of this property. I swear I can feel it happening as we speak."
"Not to worry sweetheart, I shall slip a £5 note to those young lads who sit outside the local hostelry. They'll help us fine citizens and persuade the owner to remove that unsightly pantechnicon."

The next morning....
"Richaaard!!!!" :twisted:
"The very thought of people who are in trade living/parking on our road."
DB617

Post by DB617 »

What makes me laugh is that no matter how many times I read it, it still says "We ruin your NAN" not "Van"... which may be an overreaction... :o
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Stevenage

The reason for it was the original access road for the New Town ran from Sish Lane (Popple Way) in the north to the A1 ( Elder Way) in the south.
This was expected to be a staggered junction with Monkswood Way. In a similar way to Popple Way, Fairlands Way & Silam Road are.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

JohnnyMo wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 16:32 Stevenage

The reason for it was the original access road for the New Town ran from Sish Lane (Popple Way) in the north to the A1 ( Elder Way) in the south.
This was expected to be a staggered junction with Monkswood Way. In a similar way to Popple Way, Fairlands Way & Silam Road are.
I never knew that. All the early plans for the new town I've seen show the road ending at Cuttys Lane.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
StockburyRoundabout

Post by StockburyRoundabout »

This is a small dual carriageway located just outside Eccles (near Aylesford) with 1 lane in each direction with either side being a standard S2 road. This may have been an attempt to widen it but it was impossible to build an S2 here. Would this count?
https://goo.gl/maps/SHxHiFwk91Ackftc6
Now with added Grade Separation!
scragend

Post by scragend »

DB617 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:21 What makes me laugh is that no matter how many times I read it, it still says "We ruin your NAN" not "Van"... which may be an overreaction... :o
It looks like the additional downstroke was added by some other wag who came along later!
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

StockburyRoundabout wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:52 This is a small dual carriageway located just outside Eccles (near Aylesford) with 1 lane in each direction with either side being a standard S2 road. This may have been an attempt to widen it but it was impossible to build an S2 here. Would this count?
There is a significant vertical displacement in places so a D1 may have been a more cost efficient solution.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
StockburyRoundabout

Post by StockburyRoundabout »

JohnnyMo wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 13:53
StockburyRoundabout wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:52 This is a small dual carriageway located just outside Eccles (near Aylesford) with 1 lane in each direction with either side being a standard S2 road. This may have been an attempt to widen it but it was impossible to build an S2 here. Would this count?
There is a significant vertical displacement in places so a D1 may have been a more cost efficient solution.
I did think that. Complex civil engineering for the sake of an S2 on a country road is hardly worth the hassle and cost that would come with it. It would only be logical to go with the cheaper and simpler solution.
Now with added Grade Separation!
Darren

Post by Darren »

It does - as if you go back in time you'll see the standard dual carriageway sign.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3173711 ... 312!8i6656

That stretch of road was subject to a review a few years ago after a young man killed himself by losing control of his vehicle, three weeks after passing his test. There seemed to be surprise that the limit there was 70, so it was cut to 40 (as seen today).

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/malling/ne ... it-120710/
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

My sister briefly lived on this estate on the outskirts of Stone when it was first built, and as can be seen at bottom right, the access off the B5027 is a short length of dual carriageway. She was told this was part of the planning conditions, as it reduced the risk of the only access onto the estate for emergency vehicles being blocked by an accident. This seems to make sense, but I wonder if there is a minimum size of development that this ruling might have applied to?
poshbakerloo

Re:

Post by poshbakerloo »

PeterA5145 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2006 17:23 Surely the A555 should be near the top of the list :roll:
Not anymore, now its links the A6-A34-MAN-M56 plus the Poynton Bypass will join it soon!
andy_birkett

Post by andy_birkett »

Noted highway geniuses Leeds City Council decided this narrow section of a busy route into the city centre needed a central reservation, presumably to reduce dangerous turns in and out of side roads. Unfortunately, despite the availability of a wide piece of pavement a few yards further on, into which the bus stop could have been cut, it was left where it was. The 'central reservation' curves out slightly to allow traffic to pass, but as you can see from how tight this is, large vehicles can't pass a parked bus, particularly when the bus doesn't pull up far enough forward. At rush hour, when dozens of schoolkids queue to get on the bus, this little piece of raised median regularly causes stationary traffic way back past the previous set of lights. A cracking piece of work.