The bank holiday weekend. Staying off the main roads

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SteveA30

Re: The bank holiday weekend. Staying off the main roads

Post by SteveA30 »

Nah, I was on my way but not expecting the closure to last long enough to get there, and so it proved. I heard it on the radio and, being less than halfway, turned back. A38 in both directions too, must have been quite a sight. Interesting that Saturday isn't the traditional changeover day now. In the terrace on Kensey hill, Launceston, Gran and most of her neighbours always said goodbye to those departing and then hello to the next family, every Saturday. Strange to think that even though Launceston is in Cornwall, just, people still stopped for the night as it had taken so long to get that far and, the last leg might still take another 3-4 hours, depending on destination. 1950's-early 70's. Once the M5 had come far enough south, beyond Bristol, it tipped the balance away from overnight B&B's.
Last edited by SteveA30 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 07:10, edited 1 time in total.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
ais523

Post by ais523 »

Andyman wrote:Heading back, unless you leave it until late, I'd predict that the M5 will be okay until you get to the M50 junction and then it will be stop-start all the way up to Birmingham, made worse by the roadworks between J4a and J6. My tip would be to dive off at J9 and take the A46 and A435 up to the M42 at J3. You might encounter some congestion but it won't be as bad as the M5 and it only takes one breakdown in the roadworks for everything to grind to a halt. From trips I've done in the past, the traffic is usually shocking from Taunton to Bristol but then flows okay as far as Worcester before slowing down again, so Bristol to J9 is probably the least problematic northbound section.
Thanks for the advice. A46, A435 is actually exactly the route I had in mind to avoid potential problems on (and roadworks on) the M5, so it's useful to hear a second opinion saying the same thing.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

DavidBrown wrote:Guess you didn't get much from today's M5 closure J26-27 Steve?

Something that's become noticeable over the last few years is that changeover day isn't exclusively Saturday anymore, so whilst the M5 is still extremely busy on a summer Saturday, it isn't the 50 mile jams that it used to be. The main holiday park in Ilfracombe has its changeover day on a Monday, and hotels and B&B's don't have a changeover day as such anymore with people coming and going every day of the week.
August Bank holiday is slightly different in terms of people arriving on Friday evening/Saturday morning and leaving Monday (what time depends on the weather) - but the Bank Holiday weekend is always the quietest one of the summer anyway as it's way too late in the school holidays to be of any use.
I note that the Friday changeover day is more popular this year and therefore the queues on the M5 north through Somerset during the day are quite bad. I travelled south to Cornwall along the M6 and M5 last Friday evening and found that after 8pm the traffic even past Birmingham and Bristol was light both ways. The worse spot was the roadworks on the M6 near Knutsford.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Bank Holiday Monday and the traditional congestion on the A38 in Somerset, for 1 day only. M5 closed s/bnd from J21-22, from about 12.30pm. N/bnd slow enough to cause overspill on to other roads. The VMS at Avonmouth must have persuaded many to take the A4. Not a good move. M5 opened at about 4.30pm, just before I arrived via A37 and B3135/B3134 to A368. If I hadn't seen it for myself, I wouldn't have believed that it would take until 8pm to clear out the A38. Turn right for Bristol, then all the way back to Edithmead, one of the slowest journeys I've made. It is a safe assumption that I was the only one happy to be there.
Having plenty of time to look around, I noted the date on a bridge at Langford. It referred to the Langford Loop 1928. First time I have heard that word. Does that pre-date the word bypass? Further on, the Cross bypass was built in 1930, as stated on another bridge.
Attachments
Heading for Bristol
Heading for Bristol
Pausing at Sidcot, with a pre Worboys sign.
Pausing at Sidcot, with a pre Worboys sign.
Heading south, slowly, on the 1928 Langford bypass
Heading south, slowly, on the 1928 Langford bypass
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

3 more of 135 yep, 135 taken. Nice views through the trees of Wales and the Bristol Channel could be had, although not if you were moving faster or, just moving. The sun reflected off traffic on the distant M5, flowing freely. Oh the irony, probably lost on the other drivers around me. Snigger.

Heading home at dusk, I was also foiled, when an accident so recent, I was only 4th in the queue at J25, resulted in the A358 being closed at the Park'n'Ride lights. We were turned back to the rbt. Most went back round, perhaps into Taunton. As the A358 is the old road as well as the 'new' one, it was of no interest so, down to Cullompton, a deserted A373 and then, A35. The M5 was still heavy n/bnd, at 9pm.
Attachments
Climbing up through the Mendip Hills
Climbing up through the Mendip Hills
Reflections of the past
Reflections of the past
Descending to the Levels near Axbridge
Descending to the Levels near Axbridge
Last edited by SteveA30 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 07:48, edited 2 times in total.
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

M5 was closed AGAIN yesterday evening J24-25 southbound due to an elderly man driving the wrong way and crashing into multiple vehicles - no serious injuries but was enough to close the motorway for 3 hours. Along with another accident at Exeter at the same time as the J21-22 closure, that's 3 complete closures within 36 hours and 4 over the bank holiday period. You may as well have set up a tent nearby for the weekend Steve! I can't remember a bank holiday quite as bad as that for the M5 for some time.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Indeed David. Fine weather, lovely scenery, the perfect holiday. I have to 'waste' half an hour or so, assessing the situation at home. You need at least 2-3 hours driving time depending on location so, it has to be big. Checking websites, local and national, tuning in online to BBC local radio. If it seems serious enough to be a long term closure, it's scramble. On with the flying jacket, jump in the Spit, I mean car. Listening to the traffic news, working out a route that intercepts the chaos without getting caught in it. The B3134 did that nicely. Down to the A368, across to a u/c road and out to the A38 at Langford, right in the thick of it.

Final 3.
Garages and 2 cafes at Churchill did well out of this, showing that I'm not the only to benefit!
Attachments
A Plymouth coach service travels at stagecoach speed, only slower.
A Plymouth coach service travels at stagecoach speed, only slower.
Coming down off the Mendips on to the Somerset Levels
Coming down off the Mendips on to the Somerset Levels
On the level. A garage does good business at 8pm, just before the last of the heavy traffic evaporated into the dusk
On the level. A garage does good business at 8pm, just before the last of the heavy traffic evaporated into the dusk
Norfolktolancashire

SteveA30 wrote:3 more of 135 yep, 135 taken. Nice views through the trees of Wales and the Bristol Channel could be had, although not if you were moving faster or, just moving. The sun reflected off traffic on the distant M5, flowing freely. Oh the irony, probably lost on the other drivers around me. Snigger.

Heading home at dusk, I was also foiled, when an accident so recent, I was only 4th in the queue at J25, resulted in the A358 being closed at the Park'n'Ride lights. We were turned back to the rbt. Most went back round, perhaps into Taunton. As the A358 is the old road as well as the 'new' one, it was of no interest so, down to Cullompton, a deserted A373 and then, A35. The M5 was still heavy n/bnd, at 9pm.
Like these photographs, especially the wing mirror view.

Along with many others, I have spent a few hours going southwest on the A38 via Bristol to Burnham stuck in long queues on a summer Saturday when the M5 is chocked. Saying that the views once past Bristol airport are good, the near misses seen at the junctions at Lower Langford not so good.

Unlike the M5 the A38 always feels like you are going on holiday when travelling this direction, the mileage signs saying Plymouth 102 miles helps!
I think the M5 should have Plymouth and Cornwall on its mileage signs all the way from Birmingham! Or at least Exeter.
vlad

Post by vlad »

Norfolktolancashire wrote:I think the M5 should have Plymouth and Cornwall on its mileage signs all the way from Birmingham! Or at least Exeter.
A few years ago (I forget exactly when - it could be 10+) they put up temporary signs on the M5 giving distances to places drivers may be going to, presumably to allow them to make enough rest stops. They showed Plymouth and Penzance at least.

It makes sense for them to still do this, or even make the signs permanent.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

vlad wrote:
Norfolktolancashire wrote:I think the M5 should have Plymouth and Cornwall on its mileage signs all the way from Birmingham! Or at least Exeter.
A few years ago (I forget exactly when - it could be 10+) they put up temporary signs on the M5 giving distances to places drivers may be going to, presumably to allow them to make enough rest stops. They showed Plymouth and Penzance at least.

It makes sense for them to still do this, or even make the signs permanent.
It was less than 10 years ago (prehaps 5 or 6?), and it was Penzance and Newquay on the signs that were placed approaching service areas. They did make sense, and were certainly a lot more useful than the fuel price signs currently in use.
Sou'wester

Post by Sou'wester »

Whilst as a road enthusiast this mayhem on the M5 is a delight to see, as a commuter from Bristol to Taunton - this time of year is an absolute nightmare as once again more grockles are unable to drive a car safely to their destination.

Probably my worst ever midweek journey north on the M5 this evening. Accident between J21-20 meant queues almost all the way back to J22 - way past Sedgemoor services. I took the scenic route via the A38, but a journey that usually takes 50 minutes, took 2 hours 20.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Re: RE: Re: The bank holiday weekend. Staying off the main roads

Post by RichardA35 »

Sou'wester wrote:Whilst as a road enthusiast this mayhem on the M5 is a delight to see, as a commuter from Bristol to Taunton - this time of year is an absolute nightmare as once again more grockles are unable to drive a car safely to their destination.

Probably my worst ever midweek journey north on the M5 this evening. Accident between J21-20 meant queues almost all the way back to J22 - way past Sedgemoor services. I took the scenic route via the A38, but a journey that usually takes 50 minutes, took 2 hours 20.
Whereas I left Bridgwater at 6.30pm to head north to Birmingham and came straight through without seeing any trace of a queue or delay. Timing is everything.
Sou'wester

Re: RE: Re: The bank holiday weekend. Staying off the main roads

Post by Sou'wester »

RichardA35 wrote:
Sou'wester wrote:Whilst as a road enthusiast this mayhem on the M5 is a delight to see, as a commuter from Bristol to Taunton - this time of year is an absolute nightmare as once again more grockles are unable to drive a car safely to their destination.

Whereas I left Bridgwater at 6.30pm to head north to Birmingham and came straight through without seeing any trace of a queue or delay. Timing is everything.
Bit of a bizarre point to make. I could leave now and get home reasonably easily.

I left at 5pm a.k.a end of working hours and at the time two lanes were closed. I wasn't going to risk staying on the M5 as it could have been closed for another few hours as far as I knew. Just a shame the road network outside of the M5 is completely woeful and inadequate.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Photting destination signs on the A38 was difficult, due to ever increasing foliage obscuring half the signs and, driving into the sun.
Looking at traffic maps before leaving home, Their were red lines along the A370 from WSM to the A38, which may have been the cause of the huge A38 jam, as the A370 is to the right of the A38 at the rbt. The official diversion was the A370 from J21, into WSM. However, many also headed north on the A370 to Bristol, the across to the A38, causing queues through Congresbury. Others jammed up the A368 and A371 at Banwell, which is very narrow. The B3133 from Congresbury to Langford was also busy. A lot of n/bnd traffic also came off the M5 at Edithmead, due to an Air Ambulance landing , which caused a build up that took ages to dissolve. So, the A38 is fed a load of traffic from several sources. Result, a 25 mile jam south and a 5 mile one north up to the Churchill lights.

Oh all right then, since you asked, here's one more. Having plenty of time to look around, I saw this sign aimed at clever dogs.
Attachments
Instructions for visiting dogs.
Instructions for visiting dogs.
ais523

Post by ais523 »

On my trip back from Bristol to Birmingham on Monday, the M5 was clearer than expected (but we took the A46 and A435 anyway, partly as a precaution, partly for the experience). Based on what I gathered from the VMS, this was because there were severe issues on the M5 south of Bristol, reducing the amount of traffic that managed to make its way north.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

I left Torbay at 3pm on Saturday and the M5 was a good clear run, flowing well including in the opposite direction. The only delay was right at the end merging into the M6 where the left lane of two had a red X above for no obvious reason.
Norfolktolancashire

I heard yesterday that the M5 northbound between Taunton and the M50 was chocked, it seems that the Friday changeover is more popular these days in the West Country.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

End of the season, half term over, clocks back 1 hour. Just time then for one last divvy, on Friday. The A30 has been a bit shy this year, compared to the A38 and A303 but, at the last minute, it redeems itself with a closure from Woodleigh to Whiddon Down, the old Merrymeet rbt, 2am to 4pm. I got there about 12 ish, after being delayed, by others who just don't understand these things, not knowing how long I would have, as usual. So, 80 pics fired off, 6 of them here and in the next one.
Attachments
Cheriton Bishop
Cheriton Bishop
The dip
The dip
rsz_old_A30_cheriton_oct_28_2016_066.jpg
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Through Cheriton Bishop, down the valley and up the other side to Crockernwell, then over itself to Whiddon Down.
Attachments
Crockernwell, with Cheriton on the other side of the valley
Crockernwell, with Cheriton on the other side of the valley
The narrow Crockernwell
The narrow Crockernwell
A30 goes over itself
A30 goes over itself
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

3 for the road. In the last one, was Truvelo in Devon on Friday? The car braking had been just in front of me......
Attachments
Cheriton. Daish of Newquay head west.
Cheriton. Daish of Newquay head west.
Crockernwell
Crockernwell
Truvelo?
Truvelo?
Last edited by SteveA30 on Tue Nov 01, 2016 13:00, edited 1 time in total.