The bank holiday weekend. Staying off the main roads

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jgharston

Re: The bank holiday weekend. Staying off the main roads

Post by jgharston »

NICK 647063 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 09:12 Yesterday I had a lovely visit to Scarborough apparently this place has had a 300% increase in booking in the last year and it was already popular before, knowing exactly what the A64 is like i went at 7:30am and although slow I made it in good time, by 8:30 the A64 from the Flaxton area was already showing delays back to the A1079 at York and this went on most of the day.
This is why I spent the weekend in Sheffield! I squeezed out of Whitby on Friday afternoon, then went via Blakey Ridge and the B1363. There's experiments with closing the bridge to vehicles on certain weekends, and it definitely needed it these last two weekends:

The problem is a combination of the closures not being adequately signed far enough out of town, meaning traffic gets right into the centre of town, then turns around; and idiot drivers who *do* see signs that the bridge is closed and just keep going anyway.

We've had roadworks-style 'Road Closed' barriers put up, but it really needs proper flip-sign* advanced signage, and if this becomes a proper long-term thing, a nice proper vehicle barrier instead of the roadworks fence.

*not sure what they're called. A sign that folds in half, and in normal use is folded so half of the blank rear is visible, but you unlock them and drop down the leaf to reveal the signage.
Berk

Post by Berk »

They do have partial road closures in places like Swanage with exactly the same arrangements, and they seem to work fine.

Probably more pre-publicity/announcements and debate beforehand, so that folks should know what to expect though.
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

I had to go up to Lancaster to visit my brother on Easter Sunday as he'd arranged to have lunch with me. Given most places are closed, I thought I might have had a reasonably clear run...

Nope...

The queues on the M6 for the Preston Bypass section started shortly after Junction 28 (Leyland) and from there it took me three quarters of an hour to get to Junction 32 (M55). I did contemplate going through the middle of Preston at one point but I could see plenty of other people doing that - so I decided against it and stuck to lanes three and four, trying to keep clear of those heading for the M55 and Blackpool.

Luckily I factored in the possibility of traffic and still arrived over an hour early! :lol:

Other than that, I remained reasonably local and had no other issues over the Easter Weekend.
The journey is never over until the arrival.
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

I was through the Preston Bypass too on Sunday at about 11 am, thinking everyone would already be where they were going to be for Easter. Sounds like it got worse, or was worse earlier, it was slow-moving the whole distance then but not as bad as 45 minutes longer. Came back from Cumbria yesterday and just avoided the M6 altogether with my largely quiet throught the Dales route. I should've avoided the A66 too (go along it as far as Brough), that was pretty bad, and demonstrated some classic unobservant idiots who pulled out to pass a lorry on one of the dualled bits apparently ignorant of the police van coming up behind them with lights and sirens. The rest of the route was pleasant. It still might've been slower than the motorway but demonstrates that a pleasant journey is preferable to a quick one.
85CF380

Post by 85CF380 »

Friday: M1 north bound underneath Lofthouse Interchange ( j42) all lanes in front started braking - loads of traffic coming off the eastbound M62. After the initial stop, the traffic then started to roll steadily. From j42-j43 a couple of the message signs said 'Delays M1 j46-j48' , so I came off via the M621, & cut across to the A64 (How did the A64 cope prior the M1 extension?)Eventually arrived at Bramham to look down on 3 solid lanes of standing traffic on the northbound A1(M). The A64 Bramham to York was strangely quiet.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Friday: M1 north bound underneath Lofthouse Interchange ( j42) all lanes in front started braking - loads of traffic coming off the eastbound M62. After the initial stop, the traffic then started to roll steadily. From j42-j43 a couple of the message signs said 'Delays M1 j46-j48' , so I came off via the M621, & cut across to the A64 (How did the A64 cope prior the M1 extension?)Eventually arrived at Bramham to look down on 3 solid lanes of standing traffic on the northbound A1(M). The A64 Bramham to York was strangely quiet.
In answer to your question I think the A64 coped better east of Bramham prior to the M1 extension as the flows were limited by having to come up the A1 or through Leeds, these days with the free flow from the A1(m) onto the A64 it gets to the Hopgrove faster and in larger numbers, as for the A64 in Leeds prior to the M1 extension it was really bad although traffic levels have gone up since you really couldn’t imagine what Leeds would be like without the M1 extension.

I did pass the Hopgrove on Friday and it was queued most of the day although as you say from Bramham to York it does flow ok until you hit the Hopgrove.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

haymansafc wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:35 I had to go up to Lancaster to visit my brother on Easter Sunday as he'd arranged to have lunch with me. Given most places are closed, I thought I might have had a reasonably clear run...

Nope...

The queues on the M6 for the Preston Bypass section started shortly after Junction 28 (Leyland) and from there it took me three quarters of an hour to get to Junction 32 (M55). I did contemplate going through the middle of Preston at one point but I could see plenty of other people doing that - so I decided against it and stuck to lanes three and four, trying to keep clear of those heading for the M55 and Blackpool.

Luckily I factored in the possibility of traffic and still arrived over an hour early! :lol:

Other than that, I remained reasonably local and had no other issues over the Easter Weekend.
From a resident driver in Preston, don't bother trying a short-cut through the city! Every summer weekend lots try to do so to avoid the now regular M6/M61 northbound queues up to the M55 junction. The problem is that there are only three road bridges across the River Ribble to the west of the M6 from the south, the main one, the A6, has very poor traffic light sequencing that cannot cope with the extra traffic. It takes around 45 minutes to travel one mile along this road where it passes the Capitol Retail Park in this situation.

You could try the next river bridge to the east of the M6, however that is the B road via the A59 and Ribchester, around a twenty mile detour!

Now if the powers that be had decided to build the Preston Western motorway from the M65 to the M55 ......
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Norfolktolancashire wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 20:13 Now if the powers that be had decided to build the Preston Western motorway from the M65 to the M55 ......
Or the Eastern Primary.

Actually I count 4 bridges west of the M6. The A59 crosses the river twice :)
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.

From the SABRE Wiki: Eastern Primary %28Preston%29 :

The Eastern Primary was a planned major road serving the eastern side of the Central Lancashire New Town. It was first announced in the late 1960s and by the mid 1970s it was fully appraised apart from the section in the vicinity of the A59. It would have been built to dual carriageway standards and feature grade separated junctions in common with similar roads in other new towns at the time.

The road would have started on the M61 at [[Clayton

... Read More
Norfolktolancashire

Now, I know all about Bank Holiday traffic hotspots, however the sun, warm temperature and boredom persuaded me and Mrs N to L to drive to Anglesey from Lancashire on Bank Holiday Easter Monday.

The A55 would be quiet going west I thought, and so it was, even the M56 leading to it was. The amount of traffic leaving North Wales the other way, even at 1030am, was unbelievable. It reminded me of the similar A30 D2 in Cornwall/Devon in that situation. Doesn't anyone stay in the area for at least some of the day after leaving their accommodation?

Anyway, a lovely clear run west for me to the island.

We decided to return home via Llandudno in the evening, the A55 both ways was clear. However on leaving that town around 7.30pm we hit lots of eastbound traffic on the A55 and had to leave the expressway at Rhuallt hill due to an accident closing it further up. Six miles of queues.

A nice detour via single track roads and the A541 did the trick.

So, the lesson I learnt was that whatever time I used the road that Easter Monday, it was going to get me somehow! :roll:
Lewis1997

Post by Lewis1997 »

Yes I was one of those leaving the island and heading to east anglia via Shrewsbury! I agree, we opted to stay an extra day in Anglesey to avoid the traffic but proved to be a big mistake; massive queues on the A55, A5025 and the link road for Menai Bridge. We opted to leave the A55 for Menai Bridge but must have taken about 20 mins to leave the island going this way (and probably would have been between 30-45 mins via Britannia). Never known it to be like this before.

And this wasn’t the end either; the A5 where it merges with A494 between Druid and Corwen was incredible in terms of traffic. Must have been about 2 miles worth of traffic coming up the A494 to the first set of lights and then very slow moving (almost a crawl to the second set). In fact, a cyclist passed us at the first set of lights and we didn’t catch up with this cyclist until after the last roundabout on the A5 after Oswestry leaving the A483 behind. Llangollen was almost a nightmare too! About a mile or so traffic heading England-bound taking about 15-20 mins to get through.

And finally Shrewsbury (this was about 3/4pm now) with the botched-job HE roundabout causing huge volumes of traffic; traffic was stationary from this roundabout to the previous roundabout.

It was amazing to be part of this and witness just how much traffic was leaving Anglesey, North Wales and West Wales; clearly a popular holiday location in the sun now!
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Berk wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 01:39 They do have partial road closures in places like Swanage with exactly the same arrangements, and they seem to work fine.

Probably more pre-publicity/announcements and debate beforehand, so that folks should know what to expect though.
Maybe advance signage that changes between
WHITBY SWING BRIDGE
Weekend Closures
Apr-Sep

and
WHITBY SWING BRIDGE
Closed to vehicles

at the moment there's no hint if you approach town when the bridge isn't closed, and when it is closed it's all too easy to miss the signage where it's best to turn off the road.

At the moment, this is the approach from the west. There's a covered sign up ahead here, but once you're close enough to take instruction from it you're already in the wrong lane, and have already taken instruction from the left-turn sign by the traffic light. I've been going around town taking pictures of traffic and signage to work from.
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

Helvellyn wrote: I was through the Preston Bypass too on Sunday at about 11 am, thinking everyone would already be where they were going to be for Easter. Sounds like it got worse, or was worse earlier, it was slow-moving the whole distance then but not as bad as 45 minutes longer.
I went through it a little later than that, so indeed, it must have got worse. It was about 12:15-12:30pm when I was stuck pretty much in the middle of it all. The southbound carriageway was running clear.

On the return leg at about 4pm, northbound was completely clear. I found it rather odd to see so much traffic half way through the day on an Easter Sunday, I will admit...
Norfolktolancashire wrote:From a resident driver in Preston, don't bother trying a short-cut through the city! Every summer weekend lots try to do so to avoid the now regular M6/M61 northbound queues up to the M55 junction.
Don't worry, it was the worse-case scenario! I've driven through Preston a few times and I knew sitting on the M6 was the worst of both evils! I'd have had to have been sitting with the handbrake on for about half an hour before I given it more of a serious consideration!
The journey is never over until the arrival.
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

My parents went on holiday to North Wales from Good Friday to Tuesday, and my dad was telling me about their inevitably gnarly ride up there from Leicester on the Friday, not helped by having to drop my brother off in Wilmslow on the way.
Firstly a HGV had overturned/shed its load on the Sideway roundabout in Stoke, meaning they couldn't take the A500 through Stoke, instead having to get on the M6 at J15. He was intent on taking the A34, so had to come off at J16 and head back towards Stoke on the A500.
And then after the Wilmslow drop off, they got stuck on the M56 westbound, apparently there had been an accident, and they stationary for half an hour, and crawling for a long period. The A494 didn't improve things, and as is the norm at any kind of busy period, it is always very slow when you join the A55 at J33.
Norfolktolancashire wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 20:26 We decided to return home via Llandudno in the evening, the A55 both ways was clear. However on leaving that town around 7.30pm we hit lots of eastbound traffic on the A55 and had to leave the expressway at Rhuallt hill due to an accident closing it further up. Six miles of queues.

A nice detour via single track roads and the A541 did the trick.
My dad mentioned that to me, on the Monday they clocked a sign on the A55 warning them of that closure all the way back at Bangor. It does make you wonder what the HGV's do in that situation, because the alternative routes are pretty non-existent for that kind of traffic. Guessing they just have to join the queue and way for it to be re-opened.
Lewis1997 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 23:18 And this wasn’t the end either; the A5 where it merges with A494 between Druid and Corwen was incredible in terms of traffic. Must have been about 2 miles worth of traffic coming up the A494 to the first set of lights and then very slow moving (almost a crawl to the second set). In fact, a cyclist passed us at the first set of lights and we didn’t catch up with this cyclist until after the last roundabout on the A5 after Oswestry leaving the A483 behind. Llangollen was almost a nightmare too! About a mile or so traffic heading England-bound taking about 15-20 mins to get through.
I really enjoy the A5 from Bangor down to Llangollen, it's a great drive when clear and in good weather. But on the flipside, I feel your pain, it can be horrendous when clogged, as there is no escape. Once you're committed, you have to follow it through.
On a side note that probably should be in the fantasy roads forum, I would love to see the A483/A5 fully dualled from Chester to Shrewsbury. On the face of it, it shouldn't be too difficult to achieve, given the A5 doesn't trundle through many, if any, villages in this section.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

On Easter Monday evening I left the A55 eastbound at Abergele and went up by Rhuddlan and the old road round Holywell, rejoining the A55 at Halkyn. Seems like I missed the queues that way.

Good Friday was horrible with me trying the A556/A51 and then via Mold to St Asaph and down Engine Hill to rejoin the A55 at Bodelwyddan. Took about two hours longer than usual even so.
SteveA30

Re: The bank holiday weekend. Staying off the motorway and getting stuck on the old road

Post by SteveA30 »

Saturday May 25 2019 on the M5 and A38, north and south of Bristol. Bit of a lose/lose situation really.
Attachments
A38 May 24 2019.jpg
A38 Axbridge 5-19.jpg
M5 Falfield 25-5-19.jpg
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Norfolktolancashire

Re: The bank holiday weekend. Staying off the motorway and getting stuck on the old road

SteveA30 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 22:12 Saturday May 25 2019 on the M5 and A38, north and south of Bristol. Bit of a lose/lose situation really.
No surprise!

I really cannot find a clear route southwest from Gloucester to Taunton during these bank holiday and summer weekends. I have tried many permutations, including using the A38 through Bristol to Highbridge, and the M5, M4, M49 loop, with limited success.

Leaving earlier up here in Lancashire doesn't work, leave at 6am we hit queues on the M5 near Bristol by 9am!

Probably the best option is to leave around 3pm to travel on Saturday evening however most holiday accommodation options do not allow this.

Hence the queues!
Berk

Post by Berk »

Or set off 24 hours earlier than that, with an option to spend a night on the road somewhere. That’s what I’m doing - spending the night at Solstice Park, so I can be leaving around 10 on Saturday.
Norfolktolancashire

Berk wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 18:32 Or set off 24 hours earlier than that, with an option to spend a night on the road somewhere. That’s what I’m doing - spending the night at Solstice Park, so I can be leaving around 10 on Saturday.
I haven't used that route for years, but I bet it is congested already by 10am further up where the D2 ends westwards near Yeovil!
Berk

Post by Berk »

The idea is not to be in a congested place for too long. Hopefully have moved on down to the Blackdowns by lunchtime. :)
M19

Post by M19 »

We did a 520 mile trip today from Kettering to Garve, north west of Inverness. We set off at 6am and arrived at 3:30pm. Setting off early got us up the M6 and beyond the M55 without any delays. The worst bit was the M80, but it was moving and just a reminder of the question as to why it was deliberately under engineered to be 2 rather than 3 lanes. The A9 was not too bad.
M19