A428 Black Cat - Caxton Gibbet improvement

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Alderpoint

Re: Black Cat - Cambourne rumour?

Post by Alderpoint »

A303Chris wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 08:46 Why I fully agree with the main route being the A421, the old road number seems a bit weird especially this
The existing A428 will become the A1428 between Great North Road in St Neots and Cambridge Road junction
So we have the existing St Neots by pass becoming the A1428 ending on the B4128. Personally I would have renumbered the bypass the B4128 and declassified the B4128 through the town. I just thing A roads ending on 'B' roads unless on the coast or end of a valley in a mountainous area just looks wrong.
I suspect the A1428 will continue to the junction with the new A421, which will be just east of the existing roundabout with the B4128.
Let it snow.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Yes, my reading of it is that there is to be a multiplex with the A1428 between the old and new bypasses.

Given there's not exactly a shortage of B road numbers, I'd have probably numbered it something else rather than creating an A1428/B1428 multiplex, but there we go.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
jackal

Post by jackal »

The multiplex will be a few hundred metres between the existing Cambridge Rd roundabout and the new Cambridge Rd dumbbell.

When they say Cambridge Rd junction they mean the new GSJ rather than the existing rbt. So the multiplex will be numbered A1428, and that number will end at the A421 GSJ rather than on the B1428.

General arrangement: https://infrastructure.planninginspecto ... _Plans.pdf
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

jackal wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:22 The multiplex will be a few hundred metres between the existing Cambridge Rd roundabout and the new Cambridge Rd dumbbell.

When they say Cambridge Rd junction they mean the new GSJ rather than the existing rbt. So the multiplex will be numbered A1428, and that number will end at the A421 GSJ rather than on the B1428.

So presumably, the multiplex will be signed in Axx/Axx fashion, as the shorter ones tend to be?
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Osthagen wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 14:32
jackal wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:22 The multiplex will be a few hundred metres between the existing Cambridge Rd roundabout and the new Cambridge Rd dumbbell.

So presumably, the multiplex will be signed in Axx/Axx fashion, as the shorter ones tend to be?
I very much doubt that any B road multiplex here will be actually signed.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

Is it planned to have a connection from the B1046 to the new road - the plan refers to emergency maintenance access and egress? Or to join it to the existing bypass, which would be a sensible thing to do to take B1046 through traffic from the southern edges of St Neots
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

skiddaw05 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 23:17 Is it planned to have a connection from the B1046 to the new road - the plan refers to emergency maintenance access and egress? Or to join it to the existing bypass, which would be a sensible thing to do to take B1046 through traffic from the southern edges of St Neots
I very much doubt there will be a new junction, the B1046 goes over the current A428 on a flyover and no such junction is included in the plans. It may be that an emergency access to the new road could be added but it really isnt that much of a diversion to take the B1046 to Barford Road. Its not exactly heavily used and with the Eltisley junction sorted there will be even less traffic I suspect.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Browsing documents about this scheme on the Planning Inspectorate website, I came across this long note by Cambs CC and other local authorities. Would anyone who is professionally involved with road design and construction like to comment on the criticisms it makes? Are the local authorities being too nit-picking or have the designers not done their job properly? Or do quibbles like this arise routinely on such schemes?

https://infrastructure.planninginspecto ... 0(WRs).pdf
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

wrinkly wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 01:45 Browsing documents about this scheme on the Planning Inspectorate website, I came across this long note by Cambs CC and other local authorities. Would anyone who is professionally involved with road design and construction like to comment on the criticisms it makes? Are the local authorities being too nit-picking or have the designers not done their job properly? Or do quibbles like this arise routinely on such schemes?

Well in at least two cases the problems arise because the council granted planning permission for new housing developments without considering the effect on local and through traffic.
Cambridge Road, St Neots, East bound - on the approach to A428 junction
the modelling predicts an increase of approximately 200 passenger car
units (PCU) in the peak periods to the stretch between Station Road and
the A428 junction. Therefore, CCC requires the junctions on the local road
network to be assessed to ensure that the proposed increase in traffic can
be accommodated.
15 years ago the stretch from Station Road to the A428 was open fields, this is what it looks like now. Note that development is still continuing and has now pretty much reached the current A428.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.22751 ... 2880?hl=en

The same is true of the Madingley Road from Madingley Mulch to the M11 J13. This has been an issue for at least 20 years. I note there is a line item in RIS3 for this which may address the long term issue which is that the junction is a simple half diamond on the A1303. In this case the extra traffic has come from the new developments at Hardwick and Caldecote. If as now seems inevitable 3,500 houses are built on Bourn Airfield it will get a whole lot worse.
thatapanydude

Post by thatapanydude »

In terms of the works itself it seems like a compound has been setup on the ex B1043 between Tempsford and Little Barford. Would suggest that it’s getting closer to starting the actual works.
A1/A1(M) >>> M1
thatapanydude

Post by thatapanydude »

KeithW wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 14:08
Well in at least two cases the problems arise because the council granted planning permission for new housing developments without considering the effect on local and through traffic.
Likewise further west of the A428 the new town of Winteringham is slowly being built on ground between the bypass and the ECML which will extend St Neots significantly.

Another positive for the Northern route which allows easy access to St Neots from the new A421.
A1/A1(M) >>> M1
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

wrinkly wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 01:45 Browsing documents about this scheme on the Planning Inspectorate website, I came across this long note by Cambs CC and other local authorities. Would anyone who is professionally involved with road design and construction like to comment on the criticisms it makes? Are the local authorities being too nit-picking or have the designers not done their job properly? Or do quibbles like this arise routinely on such schemes?

I've just been having a skim- but I'm no professional. It does seem a very thorough document, going into scathing detail about the inadequacy of the traffic modelling (one highlight- the model output for after all the works has zero cars turning right onto the M11 from the A1303 in the AM peak). Yes maybe there are issues due to permissions for developments but ultimately it appears that the homework of national highways (or whatever this week's name is) has been thoroughly marked and found severely wanting.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Al__S wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 18:24
I've just been having a skim- but I'm no professional. It does seem a very thorough document, going into scathing detail about the inadequacy of the traffic modelling (one highlight- the model output for after all the works has zero cars turning right onto the M11 from the A1303 in the AM peak). Yes maybe there are issues due to permissions for developments but ultimately it appears that the homework of national highways (or whatever this week's name is) has been thoroughly marked and found severely wanting.
As someone who routinely used the A1303 and A428 into Cambridge all I can ask is - did the traffic modellers ever look at reality on the ground or even on GSV ?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.21430 ... 6656?hl=en
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

KeithW wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 21:28
As someone who routinely used the A1303 and A428 into Cambridge all I can ask is - did the traffic modellers ever look at reality on the ground or even on GSV ?
Models are now used to prove anything, if you have a troublesome right turn you just tell the planning authority it's so troublesome no one will bother to make it and the problem has been resolved. Most councils haven't got anyone capable of picking up on this these days but it appears Cambs do.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jnty

Post by jnty »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:48
Models are now used to prove anything, if you have a troublesome right turn you just tell the planning authority it's so troublesome no one will bother to make it and the problem has been resolved. Most councils haven't got anyone capable of picking up on this these days but it appears Cambs do.
And to make sure any survey records the 'correct' answer simply station a man with a spade at the turn to threaten anyone who tries to make it :lol:
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

If you read the details- the County Council have worked out that the reason is that the model assumes such high levels of congestion on the M11 at Junction 13 that all such traffic would divert instead through Coton to junction 12!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Al__S wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 18:33 If you read the details- the County Council have worked out that the reason is that the model assumes such high levels of congestion on the M11 at Junction 13 that all such traffic would divert instead through Coton to junction 12!
I did and it reminded of a basic adage in the Software Industry. Garbage Garbage Out. If you are not using accurate data you have zero chance of getting a useful output from a modelling system.

That said traffic coming off the M11 at J13 can cause congestion all the way back to J12 and even J11 in the morning rush hour and inbound traffic can queue along the A1303 as far as Madingley Mulch. I have diverted at that point, in that situation I have occasionally turned right at Coton and gone down to J12.

Take a look at Google Earth historical images and you will see how much development has take place since 1980 and if anything the rate of development is accelerating. I believe the County Council are correct, that is what will happen if nothing is done. BUT that will mean addressing the issue of traffic congestion on the Madingley Road.

Madingley Road 2021
Attachments
Cambridge 2021.jpg
Gav

Post by Gav »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTY5G_4-Wns

in the original opening sequence of auf wiedershien pet series the black cat roundabout featured.....
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Gav wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 22:12 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTY5G_4-Wns

in the original opening sequence of auf wiedershien pet series the black cat roundabout featured.....
That would have been the old A428 through Great Barford and Bedford, at the time the road from Cambridge to the A1 at St Neots was the A45.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Gav wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 22:12 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTY5G_4-Wns

All the times I've watched it I never even noticed that. I have seen signs for Birmingham on the A428 but they are all west of Bedford. That's the first time I've seen one that far out.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.