M62/M606 Chain Bar Interchange

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jackal

M62/M606 Chain Bar Interchange

Post by jackal »

This is a major scheme 'to provide a slip road to provide a direct link from the M62 westbound to the M606 northbound'. This sounds like a freeflow link, probably to the north of the current junction, though I suppose hamburgerisation can't be totally ruled out :( See info about public exhibitions etc here:

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-p ... terchange-

The should not be confused with the similarly-named 'M62 junction 26 chain bar improvement scheme' currently under construction:

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-p ... nt-scheme/
ellandback

Re: M62/M606 Chain Bar Interchange

Post by ellandback »

This has been on (and off) the cards for as long as I can remember. If you click on the 'major scheme' hyperlink it says it will be a freeflow link. There are also some very helpful FAQ answers:
Will there be roadworks?

Yes, roadworks will be needed
Well, thanks for clearing that up. :roll:
jackal

Post by jackal »

ellandback wrote:This has been on (and off) the cards for as long as I can remember.
I don't recall it ever getting beyond the 'we'll do this at some indeterminate point in the future' stage. It now has money allocated and a start date within four years.
If you click on the 'major scheme' hyperlink it says it will be a freeflow link.
Thanks, good to have that clarified. It also says there will be freeflow for 'M606 south bound to M62 east bound' - presumably a more substantial slip than the current filter.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

ellandback wrote:If you click on the 'major scheme' hyperlink
I'd never noticed those before!
There are also some very helpful FAQ answers:
Will there be roadworks?

Yes, roadworks will be needed
Well, thanks for clearing that up. :roll:
I've seen that on other schemes too.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

I wonder if it used to say "will there be traffic management" but someone did a find-and-replace on such 'jargon'?
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

jackal wrote:
ellandback wrote:This has been on (and off) the cards for as long as I can remember.
I don't recall it ever getting beyond the 'we'll do this at some indeterminate point in the future' stage. It now has money allocated and a start date within four years.
It definitely went to consultation with detailed plans - I have a copy of the documents, dating I think from the mid-late 90s. Without checking I'd guess it was killed off in the 1996 spending review or by John Prescott's shredder in 1997.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Chris5156 wrote:
jackal wrote:
It definitely went to consultation with detailed plans - I have a copy of the documents, dating I think from the mid-late 90s. Without checking I'd guess it was killed off in the 1996 spending review or by John Prescott's shredder in 1997.
That makes sense, my knowledge of pre-SABRE unbuilt schemes is pretty limited aside from the more spectacular examples :)
stu531

Post by stu531 »

I should hope so. I always think the main flow of the route faced the wrong way; that is, it should've faced towards Leeds, rather than Manchester. Ideally the whole thing should've been a proper free-flow in all directions, with the roundabout underneath it as it exists today.

And I also think that, as part of the Smart Motorways upgrade, the M606-M621 section should've been 4 lanes running, rather than optional hard shoulder running during congestion times.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I have a 1998 Navigator atlas which shows the earlier proposals. Assuming the layout is accurate it would have cut across the sewage works rather than above or below the roundabout.

I could have an explanation for the existing freeflow facing the wrong way. At the time, late 60s-early 70s, there were plans to fully grade separate the A647 through Armley which would have allowed uninterrupted flow between Leeds and Pudsey. Traffic travelling between Leeds and Bradford was expected to use this route which is five miles shorter than the M621-M62-M606.
Attachments
M606.jpg
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Truvelo wrote:I have a 1998 Navigator atlas which shows the earlier proposals. Assuming the layout is accurate it would have cut across the sewage works rather than above or below the roundabout.
Pretty much the same as my take on the current scheme:
This is a major scheme 'to provide a slip road to provide a direct link from the M62 westbound to the M606 northbound'. This sounds like a freeflow link, probably to the north of the current junction
It also says there will be freeflow for 'M606 south bound to M62 east bound' - presumably a more substantial slip than the current filter.
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

Truvelo wrote:I could have an explanation for the existing freeflow facing the wrong way. At the time, late 60s-early 70s, there were plans to fully grade separate the A647 through Armley which would have allowed uninterrupted flow between Leeds and Pudsey. Traffic travelling between Leeds and Bradford was expected to use this route which is five miles shorter than the M621-M62-M606.
Would these plans have included upgrading the gyratory where it meets the A58 and the A643 (here)?
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

lefthandedspanner wrote:
Truvelo wrote:I could have an explanation for the existing freeflow facing the wrong way. At the time, late 60s-early 70s, there were plans to fully grade separate the A647 through Armley which would have allowed uninterrupted flow between Leeds and Pudsey. Traffic travelling between Leeds and Bradford was expected to use this route which is five miles shorter than the M621-M62-M606.
Would these plans have included upgrading the gyratory where it meets the A58 and the A643 (here)?
The gyratory itself only dates from about 1980 or 81 and so is more recent than the plans mentioned by Truvelo.

Grade separation there would seem impracticable becuause of the railway bridges.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

There were never plans to GSJ the gyratory. Even though it dates from the early 80s the design is the same to that shown a decade earlier.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
hat

Post by hat »

looks like prep work is starting here, there are now scaffold towers and netting up under power lines that pass over the M62 east of this junction
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

hat wrote:looks like prep work is starting here, there are now scaffold towers and netting up under power lines that pass over the M62 east of this junction
I think that's probably for unconnected works to the power line.
jackal

Post by jackal »

wrinkly wrote:
hat wrote:looks like prep work is starting here, there are now scaffold towers and netting up under power lines that pass over the M62 east of this junction
I think that's probably for unconnected works to the power line.
Or possibly:
A series of environmental and ecological surveys have been underway since March 2016 on land in the area of the M62/M606. These will enable us to fully consider the area’s habitats as we design our proposed road improvements. ...
• Bat Roosts (May to August 2016) – looking for the presence or absence of any bat roosts.
boing_uk
Account deactivated at user request

Post by boing_uk »

They've got netting up near Wakefield as well, so chances are it is unconnected and theyre replacing the conductors.

Why would they be checking power lines for bat roosts?
jackal

Post by jackal »

boing_uk wrote:They've got netting up near Wakefield as well, so chances are it is unconnected and theyre replacing the conductors.

Why would they be checking power lines for bat roosts?
Because they're 'looking for the presence or absence of any bat roosts'...

Though it sounds like it is just power line maintenance.
jackal

Post by jackal »

This scheme has essentially been dropped from the programme. From the scheme page: 'The M62/M606 Chain Bar scheme will be reconsidered part of future road investment planning as it needs further development before it can demonstrate value for money'.

I find this rather puzzling as you'd think VfM wouldn't be an issue at such a congested site. Perhaps there are unforeseen technical problems.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

jackal wrote:This scheme has essentially been dropped from the programme. From the scheme page: 'The M62/M606 Chain Bar scheme will be reconsidered part of future road investment planning as it needs further development before it can demonstrate value for money'.

I find this rather puzzling as you'd think VfM wouldn't be an issue at such a congested site. Perhaps there are unforeseen technical problems.
To me this would indicate expensive construction, for perhaps a reasonable time saving in the peak but little time saved off-peak so economic benefits not strong.
Result - rework the traffic figures, exclude developments, cheapen construction, see what happens if you miss out a link or build incrementally (i.e. A282/A2) to get the largest benefit with the cheapest cost and get a cheaper, less ambitious scheme over the line.