A142 Ely Southern bypass

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wrinkly

Re: A142 Ely Southern bypass

Post by wrinkly »

To return a bit nearer to the topic, the bridge on the old route is the most bashed one in the country according to this Network Rail press release.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/bridge-st ... hey-occur/

Apologies if this has already been mentioned upthread.
Sam

Post by Sam »

I was a little surprised to see that the crossing will close - I originally thought they'd shut the underpass! I do understand it from Network Rail's point-of-view: they want as few crossings on the network as possible. My commute currently takes me under the underpass, and would still do even when the bypass opens so very interested to see how this unfolds. Maybe the automated light-controlled S1 will be OK...
Berk

Post by Berk »

wrinkly wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 14:00 To return a bit nearer to the topic, the bridge on the old route is the most bashed one in the country according to this Network Rail press release.

That’s why I’m a little bit concerned about how successful plans for keeping lorries out will be, after the crossing closes.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Berk wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 19:36
wrinkly wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 14:00 To return a bit nearer to the topic, the bridge on the old route is the most bashed one in the country according to this Network Rail press release.

That’s why I’m a little bit concerned about how successful plans for keeping lorries out will be, after the crossing closes.
Yes. I'm also wondering what measures if any will be in place to deter or prevent big trucks heading for the old crossing, perhaps out of habit. Any truck driver who does that is going to find it very difficult to back up or turn around.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Berk

Post by Berk »

You’d need a gateway arch at the nearest roundabout, really. One with bells on, like you get at level crossings.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

No, high vehicles still are needed to travel towards it from the Soham direction in order to travel towards Queen Adelaide - so the gateway would need to be at the Queen Adelaide turn. And probably lit up like a Christmas tree!

I do agree, however, with closing the legel crossing - this should be done wherever practical on safety grounds, particularly somewhere like this...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

I passed the works today. The roundabout at the northern end where the bypass meets the old road is pretty much finished and tidied up now.
Electrophorus Electricus

roadtester

Post by roadtester »

I haven't seen any updates on this in the local press lately but this is now looking much more finished to my inexpert eyes.

The roundabouts at both ends now seem to be finished to their final state and when viewed from both ends the whole thing looks like it is quite close.

The big sign still says it's supposed to be finished by "late summer".
Electrophorus Electricus

rasingram2

Post by rasingram2 »

I think this will open in the next couple of weeks. There is to be a charity walk along it on the 14th October(http://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/chari ... -1-5715644), and this was supposed to be the Sunday before it opens to traffic(http://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/ely-b ... -1-5651695). I guess that means open the week of the 15th. I for one am looking forward to getting into Ely without queuing behind large lorries.
Last edited by rasingram2 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

rasingram2 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:09 I think this will open in the next couple of weeks. There is to be a charity walk along it on the 14th October(http://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/chari ... -1-5715644), and this was supposed to be the Sunday before it opens to traffic(http://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/ely-b ... -1-5651695). I guess that means open the week of the 15th. I for one am looking forward to getting into Ely without queue behind large lorries.
Yes, I drove past on Saturday and although there were still many people in high vis working all over the place it is looking nearly ready...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
rasingram2

Post by rasingram2 »

Not quite next week, they have just announced it will open on the 31st October (CCC Website). Only just inside the month.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

rasingram2 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 13:44 Not quite next week, they have just announced it will open on the 31st October (CCC Website). Only just inside the month.
Thanks for the update - it's been looking close for weeks now, but there''s been nothing in the local rags.
Electrophorus Electricus

roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Just spoke to my next door neighbours (twelve year old and her mum) - they were just setting off in the rain to do the walk.

Apparently my neighbour (the twelve year old that is) had had an interesting talk about the scheme at school last week, including from Network Rail people who were pleased to be shutting the old crossing.
Electrophorus Electricus

Tom

Post by Tom »

I went on the walk along the new bypass this morning. I was surprised to see 50mph roundels along the route - it appears that there is going to be a 50 limit along the new bit of the bypass, extending to south east of Stuntney.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

50mph limits on non-trunk bypasses seems to be the norm these days.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Tom wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 14:26 I went on the walk along the new bypass this morning.
And I drove past both ends of it this afternoon.

Apologies for the pointless post but it's a coincidence as I hadn't been near Ely for decades.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Local press report with lots of photos of the road from the weekend pre-opening walk event:

http://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/ely-b ... -1-5737432
Electrophorus Electricus

Euan

Post by Euan »

Presumably when the bypass opens the A142 will follow the bypass with the old road becoming unclassified? The reclassification of old A roads after the completion of a bypass is often dependent on the availability of nearby B roads. The nearest B roads to the bypass are the B1382 and B1411 meeting in Ely, but neither of them could lend themselves to the old A142 as they do not reach the road.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Euan wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 06:34 Presumably when the bypass opens the A142 will follow the bypass with the old road becoming unclassified? The reclassification of old A roads after the completion of a bypass is often dependent on the availability of nearby B roads. The nearest B roads to the bypass are the B1382 and B1411 meeting in Ely, but neither of them could lend themselves to the old A142 as they do not reach the road.
I'm not sure if there are plans for the extension of the C317_(Cambridgeshire)... The numbering within Ely is a bit of a mess really...

From the SABRE Wiki: C317 (Cambridgeshire) :

The C317 maintained by Cambridgeshire Council is an urban street in the city centre of Ely. It is the former routes of the B1088 and A142 heading out of Ely towards Newmarket which was downgraded upon opening of the Ely and Littleport bypass.

It is described in the freedom of information request as being:
C317 BARTON ROAD ELY
C317 STATION ROAD (C317) ELY
C317 BACK HILL (C317) ELY

... Read More
rasingram2

Post by rasingram2 »

I drove past both ends this afternoon, they have painted the central lines now. It looks like the whole route will be no overtaking. I can understand why, but it surprised me. If it was in the plans, I missed them.