M49 Avonmouth junction

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jackal

M49 Avonmouth junction

Post by jackal »

There's an information event about the new junction next thursday. Details here:

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-p ... h-junction

There are two possible locations and three options. For Farm Lane there is a two-bridge roundabout option and a dumbbell option; the final option is for a two-bridge roundabout a mile south of there:

http://assets.highways.gov.uk/roads/roa ... eaflet.pdf
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: M49 Avonmouth junction

Post by c2R »

Cheers, I've added some detail and links to the wiki: Avonmouth Junction
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps

From the SABRE Wiki: Avonmouth Junction :

Avonmouth Junction is a junction under construction on the M49, serving development to the north of Avonmouth.

The 2016 proposals suggest building a junction at one of two locations

• At the existing Farm Lane overbridge (51.54323 N, 2.6373128 W) as either a dumbbell or two bridge (conventional roundabout) option.
  • "South" junction (51.5325527 N, 2.6466432 W) as a two bridge option

In Feb 2017, a two bridge roundabout interchange, keeping the existing Farm Lane bridge

... Read More
jackal

Post by jackal »

A preferred route announcement was made last week. The chosen design is a two bridge roundabout, utilizing the existing Farm Lane bridge and adding a new bridge. Construction is due to start at the end of the year.

http://roads.highways.gov.uk/projects/m ... background
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Orders have been published today: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2017/1120
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
AtoB

Post by AtoB »

This is an interesting development, as the new junction will be only about 2.5km from the existing J17 M5 (Cribbs Causeway). So can we look forward to the development of a new 'A' road - from J17 M5 > bypassing Easter Compton to the east > new M49 junction ? This would have the benefits of providing: A New S.Wales / North Bristol link, and a bypass of Easter Compton and the B4055 road . .
vlad

Post by vlad »

The legislation c2R has linked to states that the new roundabout is going to be unclassified, so it seems unlikely that, for example, the A4018 is going to be extended to it. Someone could always petition South Glos Council....
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I'd imagine a developer funded spine road might happen one day... would be useless as a strategic link though if that was the case (roundabouts or signals everywhere).
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
stu531

Post by stu531 »

Don't know this area so well, as I've only driven the M49 a few times. However, wouldn't it have been better to create a junction with the A403 north of Severn Beach to serve the town, given that there's not much connectivity with the A403 unless you use the M48?
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

stu531 wrote:Don't know this area so well, as I've only driven the M49 a few times. However, wouldn't it have been better to create a junction with the A403 north of Severn Beach to serve the town, given that there's not much connectivity with the A403 unless you use the M48?
Severn Beach as a town creates an extremely small proportion of traffic - the vast majority is for all the industry at Avonmouth which has seen huge growth in recent years, especially when it comes to distribution depots. As it happens, Severn Beach will be served quite well by this junction thanks to existing estate roads that directly link the new junction to the A403 here.
AtoB

Post by AtoB »

Bryn666 wrote:I'd imagine a developer funded spine road might happen one day... would be useless as a strategic link though if that was the case (roundabouts or signals everywhere).
The route between A38/Almondsbury/Patchway/Filton to the middle stretch of A403 is very indirect presently - and I reckon the idea to relieve the whole A38 stretch from Almondsbury to Filton would be irresistible, eventually. The present roads arrangement at M5 J17 at Cribbs would have to be modified (new underpass?), to get the traffic flowing between the A403 > new M49 junction, then eastwards, using the new Hayes Way, and on to the A38 and Patchway & Filton
Sou'wester

Post by Sou'wester »

AtoB wrote:
Bryn666 wrote:I'd imagine a developer funded spine road might happen one day... would be useless as a strategic link though if that was the case (roundabouts or signals everywhere).
The route between A38/Almondsbury/Patchway/Filton to the middle stretch of A403 is very indirect presently - and I reckon the idea to relieve the whole A38 stretch from Almondsbury to Filton would be irresistible, eventually. The present roads arrangement at M5 J17 at Cribbs would have to be modified (new underpass?), to get the traffic flowing between the A403 > new M49 junction, then eastwards, using the new Hayes Way, and on to the A38 and Patchway & Filton
Maybe you need to draw a picture of what you mean, but I can’t understand how the proposal would relieve the pressure on the A38?

Don’t get me wrong, something needs to be done. I live just off Hayes Way and the amount of developement is turning the A38 to gridlock.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Having worked on a small part of this scheme, the original (and presumably current) intention is as stated in the public exhibition info in the OP; to open up development land and, by creating a direct route to the M49, take HGVs in particular off the local road network, improving its safety. That's the basis of all the assumptions made, afaik. Wider links to here or there on the wider highway network haven't, to my knowledge, been discussed as they would make this a different beast entirely.
AtoB

Post by AtoB »

Sou'wester wrote:
AtoB wrote:
Maybe you need to draw a picture of what you mean, but I can’t understand how the proposal would relieve the pressure on the A38?

Don’t get me wrong, something needs to be done. I live just off Hayes Way and the amount of developement is turning the A38 to gridlock.
Here's a picture, Sou'wester

For most or all of S. Wales to Patchway / Filton traffic, they will come off at M5 J16. With the arrangement I've described, they will have a choice of coming off at the new M49 junction ('1'), then onto the 'Easter Compton bypass', then Hayes way, then on to Patchway / Filton. Not a solution to the excessive traffic on the A38, but a small improvement . .
A403toA38.gif
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

The problem with the above, as I've mentioned before, is Cribbs Causeway. It needs a complete an radical overhaul of its road system as it is. Adding a major through route to the mix is sheer lunacy right now. Aside from the fact that I can see that M5/M4/M49 triangle being protected from development and maybe becoming official green belt land.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

AtoB wrote:Here's a picture, Sou'wester

For most or all of S. Wales to Patchway / Filton traffic, they will come off at M5 J16. With the arrangement I've described, they will have a choice of coming off at the new M49 junction ('1'), then onto the 'Easter Compton bypass', then Hayes way, then on to Patchway / Filton. Not a solution to the excessive traffic on the A38, but a small improvement . .

A403toA38.gif
Would it not be better to have the M49 extend through the junction with the M4 to meet the A403 at about here and carry on to over the A403 route to meet the M48 where the current A403 meets it.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Isleworth1961

Post by Isleworth1961 »

AtoB wrote:
Sou'wester wrote:
AtoB wrote:

Here's a picture, Sou'wester

A403toA38.gif
Cutting though a golf course? No chance! (Not that I'd care... )
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

So those east-facing slips on the M4 junction will finally get a use other than enabling PM hunting. ;)
AtoB

Post by AtoB »

Isleworth1961 wrote:Cutting though a golf course? No chance! (Not that I'd care... )
Well, it's an opportunity to get the Hindhead tunnel team back to work again - and if a special tunnel can be built for the M25 for a cricket pitch, then it's no bother at all . . :wink:
https://londonist.com/london/sport/ther ... of-the-m25
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

M5Lenzar wrote:So those east-facing slips on the M4 junction will finally get a use other than enabling PM hunting. ;)
I think that route gets more traffic than you might imagine for M5 through traffic dodging queues between J16 and 17
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
Isleworth1961

Post by Isleworth1961 »

M4 Cardiff wrote:
M5Lenzar wrote:So those east-facing slips on the M4 junction will finally get a use other than enabling PM hunting. ;)
I think that route gets more traffic than you might imagine for M5 through traffic dodging queues between J16 and 17
Yes, many a time I've used them after intending to use the M5 between Avonmouth and Junction 16, only to see static traffic northbound on the M5. Making the quick decision to then divert via the M49 to join the M4 back to Almondsbury and then round to the M5 (southbound) Junction 16. When I've done that, there were many others also taking that route as a bypass of the holdup.