Squareabouts

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wallmeerkat

Re: Squareabouts

Post by wallmeerkat »

The earlier Squareabout example reminds me of the early GTA games where they had to work with straight line roads, building road layouts with 90 degree corners.

For example - centre to top left of this rather large game map image in 'Soho' - marked '8'
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/gta ... AL_Map.jpg

It's uncanny :laugh:
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

There's a notable one right in the heart of Skegness - the 'Lumley Road Gyratory'. Gyratory suggests that is circular, but its definitely more square than circle.
ajuk

Post by ajuk »

Has anyone tried it?
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

danfw194 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 22:11 There's a notable one right in the heart of Skegness - the 'Lumley Road Gyratory'. Gyratory suggests that is circular, but its definitely more square than circle.
If it is the one by Berry Way, it just looks like a typical small/market town square that has been converted to a one way system

eg. Ballyclare square one way system, Ballynahinch square one way system
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

wallmeerkat wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 14:19 If it is the one by Berry Way, it just looks like a typical small/market town square that has been converted to a one way system

eg. Ballyclare square one way system, Ballynahinch square one way system
It is that one, and you're probably right, it isn't a purpose built squareabout. But all road signs leading to it picture it as one.
crb11

Post by crb11 »

ajuk wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 23:39 Has anyone tried it?
Three times last weekend, as it happens. If you look on Streetview, you will see a long line of cars trying to get on from the A52 north, which matches my experience - I think there probably ought to be a set of lights here too. I didn't find the signage that intuitive and nearly came off at the wrong exit once. A novelty (that might be unique) is a green trunk road sign with "Ind estate" as the only destination. But I wouldn't make the journey just for that!
[real name Colin]
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

crb11 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 19:26
Three times last weekend, as it happens. If you look on Streetview, you will see a long line of cars trying to get on from the A52 north, which matches my experience - I think there probably ought to be a set of lights here too. I didn't find the signage that intuitive and nearly came off at the wrong exit once. A novelty (that might be unique) is a green trunk road sign with "Ind estate" as the only destination. But I wouldn't make the journey just for that!
Yep, which is why I don't like the A158 approach to Skegness, it's easier to approach from A52 in the south.

Haha yes I noticed the Ind Estate signage. They really really don't want anybody taking the A52 between Skegness and Boston! Surely it will lose it's primary status at some point....
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

You'd think so given how pants it is.

Mind you, it'll probably fall into the sea before anyone makes a decision.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
nickoli

Post by nickoli »

Owain wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2016 09:56 The best one I know is the M1 junction with the A50, A6 and A453. I saw it once from a plane taking off from East Midlands airport, and it really is square. The signage shows it as square, too.
I go through this one and https://goo.gl/maps/m8meDNn9MJt (on the A563 near the M1 in Leicester) on my route to Leicester. The signage also shows it as square.
What's this for?
ajuk

Post by ajuk »

crb11 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 19:26
No, I meant my idea for a free-flowing roundabout?
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

Probably one of the newest Squareabouts is here on the A453 for the new East Midlands Gateway development, and northern end of Kegworth bypass.

In my book a squareabout is where you can go 'straight' to continue to the other side of the junction and the right turn is close to 90 degrees.In the above example and the A563 junction the right-turns have separate filters and islands. I wouldn't call J24 a squareabout because you need to turn left or right to go 'straight through' the junction.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
vlad

Post by vlad »

darkcape wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 20:04 In my book a squareabout is where you can go 'straight' to continue to the other side of the junction and the right turn is close to 90 degrees.
Would Sticklepath count?
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

danfw194 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 22:11 There's a notable one right in the heart of Skegness - the 'Lumley Road Gyratory'. Gyratory suggests that is circular, but its definitely more square than circle.
See also the English Bridge Gyratory just outside Shrewsbury town centre, which is completely square.
Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman »

vlad wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 20:12
darkcape wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 20:04 In my book a squareabout is where you can go 'straight' to continue to the other side of the junction and the right turn is close to 90 degrees.
Would Sticklepath count?
Apparently it would, but it's a perfect example of a roundabout (ok, squareabout here) being completely pointless. Since each of the four corners is signalised, it is effectively a simple signalised cross-roads intersection, but with the carriageways all pushed outwards to create a large 'lawn' in the middle. A standard signalised crossroads would fit even onto the enclosed lawn only. Even a very high volume design, where every leg has 4 straight-on lanes and 2 or 3 right-turning lanes, would still occupy only that area. The right-turning lanes would face each other and be simultaneously green in single-point mode, with the intersection therefore operating with four signal phases.

If this squareabout did NOT have signals, it would be very dangerous and, in any case, unworkable. Each corner would be an intimidating high-speed look-right give-way. It would even lack the roundabout's one saving safety feature of producing low-speed glancing collisions rather than high-speed T-bones.

Altogether, a very British nonsense junction.
vlad

Post by vlad »

Peter Freeman wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 07:52
vlad wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 20:12 Would Sticklepath count?
Apparently it would, but it's a perfect example of a roundabout (ok, squareabout here) being completely pointless. Since each of the four corners is signalised, it is effectively a simple signalised cross-roads intersection, but with the carriageways all pushed outwards to create a large 'lawn' in the middle....
It's not pointless - it's an open space for public art (I'm assuming that's what the random standing stones are meant to be). :)
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Lheadman

Post by Lheadman »

drm567 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 17:02
Lheadman wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 01:50 the "perfect" squareabout has to be in Great Bookham (Surrey). It has been the source of countless comments as to who has right of way and is therefore generally hated but respected as doing what it was intended to do, slow traffic down. Of course it does so by causing total confusion to all who use it, since person A cannot be entirely sure whether person B is going to behave the same way as person A intends to, and therefore lots of near misses and much hooting result. :cry:

Even the police have never given a definitive ruling on who has right of way, as shown by several articles in the village mag over the last decade or so.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/56583
Is this the sort of junction where a 4 way stop could be used, (if it were permitted)? They work well in South Africa, here's an example at Hout Bay, near Cape Town. Though I do wonder if the possibility of the other driver having a 9mm Browning in his glove box concentrates the mind.
yes indeed, it would have been much better to have made it 4 way stop but I doubt we'll ever know why they didn't. Possibly because the "main" road is undoubtedly still the main road and "forcing" all its users to stop would be incredibly unpopular and presumably counter productive as the end result now is (nearly) all slow down - which is the case that is always made whenever our squareabout rules are questioned by new residents

as for it being unlawful, the argument so far is that the law simply has not caught up with it :) Several people have made the case that such designs work well elsewhere, South Africa and Canada being specifically mentioned as countries where such designs are common and unremarked.

BTW - the council engineers have not lost their jobs, and if they do it won't be over the Bookham Squareabout design, it'll be due to council tax cuts.
ByTheA36

Post by ByTheA36 »

Nobody has mentioned the one that I've always called the Cadnam squareabout just off of Junction 1 of the M27, where the A31, A336 and A337 meet - granted, it's not exactly 'square', but it does have four very obviously straight bits on it - https://goo.gl/maps/nGnF7nBDGgS2
The roundabouts at Lordshill are probably square so as to fit in with the very square surrounding architecture!
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

ByTheA36 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 15:43 Nobody has mentioned the one that I've always called the Cadnam squareabout just off of Junction 1 of the M27, where the A31, A336 and A337 meet - granted, it's not exactly 'square', but it does have four very obviously straight bits on it - https://goo.gl/maps/nGnF7nBDGgS2
I should think that's because the northern part of the roundabout is older than the southern part: it was enlarged in the 1960s. 1960s roundabouts had a tendency to include kinks for each exit.

The Lordshill roundabouts are fascinating, especially the one that has been re-purposed by Sainsbury's. Southampton also has Charlotte Place, which recycled East Park Terrace/Dorset Street.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
crb11

Post by crb11 »

I've encountered another one on my holiday travels: this time in Bognor at the bottom end of the A29. It's signed as a square, but doesn't feel that much different from other largish roundabouts.

Incidentally, it seems the A259 now takes a more northerly route from what I remember on my last visit some years ago, or what is described on the Wiki - the section through Bognor and Felpham is now the B2259. I'll try and update the Wiki when I get home, but someone with more local knowledge might do a better job, and may be able to clarify what has been bypassed and when.
[real name Colin]