Third Menai Crossing (consultation)

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Owain
Elected Committee Member

Re: Third Menai Crossing (consultation)

Post by Owain »

vlad wrote:
Chris Bertram wrote:They could always consider reinstating the ferry at Caernarfon, re-joining the two parts of B4419.
I'm not sure the original ferry was ever suitable for anything more substantial than a bike, so a new ferry would need quite a bit of infrastructure. I can't help thinking it'd be easier just to build another bridge.
A ferry might not suit people heading to Holyhead for, well, a ferry, but it might be appealing to people who are holidaying in Wales. I believe many visitors to Skye prefer to arrive by the ferry rather than simply by driving over the bridge (although I'll just drive over the bridge when I go!).
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!

From the SABRE Wiki: B4419 :

he B4419 is a road in two halves in North Wales. It is described in the 1922 Road Lists as Carnarvon - Llangaffo - Pentre-berw, crossing the Menai Strait via a ferry that was discontinued in the 1950s, thus leaving two unconnected sections which remain to this day. The ferry was only really suitable for foot passengers, which raises the question of why the road was numbered as a through route; the A5 was always the main road on and off the island.

As such, B4419 may

... Read More
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Owain wrote: I believe many visitors to Skye prefer to arrive by the ferry rather than simply by driving over the bridge (although I'll just drive over the bridge when I go!).
Indeed they do, but while it is easier and convenient, not to mention cheaper, it is kind of missing the point. If you're visiting an island there is nothing quite like taking the ferry to get there, its what makes it special. Im not saying there shouldn't be a choice, and im sure you have the A87 still to tick off, but why not use the ferry to get to skye and come back by road?

Having said all that, ive still not used the Glenachulish.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

rileyrob wrote:
Owain wrote: I believe many visitors to Skye prefer to arrive by the ferry rather than simply by driving over the bridge (although I'll just drive over the bridge when I go!).
Indeed they do, but while it is easier and convenient, not to mention cheaper, it is kind of missing the point. If you're visiting an island there is nothing quite like taking the ferry to get there, its what makes it special. Im not saying there shouldn't be a choice, and im sure you have the A87 still to tick off, but why not use the ferry to get to skye and come back by road?

Having said all that, ive still not used the Glenachulish.
Ah, go on then! I'm tempted ... my girlfriend likes boats.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Pont Bendigeidfran

Post by Pont Bendigeidfran »

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and I've come here especially to ask your expert opinions on an alternative proposal I've come up with for the 3rd Menai crossing. I think it addresses a lot of the problems discussed earlier in this thread.

If you have time to watch this video I put together explaining the idea (you might want to grab a cuppa first!), then I'd love to hear your views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty2q-ctJZKM

Thanks! :D
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

That's a superbly put together and well thought out video and proposal, with great use of archive footage that many here will enjoy. The purple route really is the best option, and I do agree that your proposal to build a design that encourages tourism to the area in its own right must help the local economy.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Berk

Post by Berk »

Can you not make a PDF of it?? I prefer to sit and read something rather than ‘sit and watch’.

A lot of ideas or reports are only presented via video these days, it makes it more long-winded because you often can’t choose which sections are relevant and just read those.
hoagy_ytfc

Post by hoagy_ytfc »

Berk wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 18:41...A lot of ideas or reports are only presented via video these days...
Easier to monetize than a PDF.

I was interested but as soon as I saw it was 25 minutes, that's that.
Pont Bendigeidfran

Horses for courses :)

I made the vid to share around on Facebook and Twitter to see if there was any local interest in the idea. Most people there wouldn't sit and read anything longer than 140 characters!

Here's the proposal I sent in as my response to the public consultation. It doesn't cover as many aspects as the video does, but should give you a pretty good idea what it's all about.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d60tnty7zi896 ... e.pdf?dl=0

Thanks for looking!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

It didn't seem that long when I watched it (even if it clearly was). It's worth watching, anyway, in my view.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Berk

Post by Berk »

hoagy_ytfc wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 18:45
Berk wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 18:41...A lot of ideas or reports are only presented via video these days...
Easier to monetize than a PDF.

I was interested but as soon as I saw it was 25 minutes, that's that.
My point entirely. If I really want to watch something, I tend to save it for the weekend.
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

Pont Bendigeidfran wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 17:27 Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and I've come here especially to ask your expert opinions on an alternative proposal I've come up with for the 3rd Menai crossing. I think it addresses a lot of the problems discussed earlier in this thread.

If you have time to watch this video I put together explaining the idea (you might want to grab a cuppa first!), then I'd love to hear your views.

Thanks! :D
Thanks for posting this. As you can probably tell from my avatar, I am a huge North Wales lover, and I'll be making my annual pilgrimage in a few weeks time....cannot wait. I'm almost certain that my holiday will include a trip over the Britannia at some point, although thankfully I can travel at my leisure and ensure to avoid peak times.

I've only watched the first few mins of the video so far and have only scanned over your consultation response (I intend to fully digest them at the weekend), but they look great. And I agree that the purple option is probably the best, which would resolve the dodgy A55 alignment and the capacity problem. You also make the pertinent point of the eastbound approach to Britannia effectively being 4 lanes into one, something that I have unconsciously ignored/forgotten about.

One thing I would say from my own personal perspective is that I've never found the Britannia Bridge particularly attractive to look at - especially in comparison to the Menai Bridge for which I will specifically stop at the viewpoint for. I personally wouldn't be bothered about the view of the Britannia being obstructed, but I can absolutely understand many would be.

Whatever happens, let's hope something gets firmed up sooner rather than later.
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

c2R wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 09:01 That's a superbly put together and well thought out video and proposal, with great use of archive footage that many here will enjoy.
As I did. It's an excellent video.
c2R wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 09:01The purple route really is the best option, and I do agree that your proposal to build a design that encourages tourism to the area in its own right must help the local economy.
And I agree that the purple route is the best option.
Pont Bendigeidfran

Thanks for your comments so far. I of course realise that the video is long and a lot to ask of people, but the idea hits so many marks I felt they all needed to be covered. I should just mention that I'm not getting a penny from YouTube for views or anything like that, I'm just trying to share the idea. I also accept that the first five mins is just on the history of the existing bridges, which might not interest everyone!

I look forward to hearing what you think once you've had a chance for a proper look through it danfw :)
Pont Bendigeidfran

Thanks for your responses, and I'm really glad no one pointed out any major flaws! I have started a petition to the Welsh Government, to ask that the idea be formally included in the appraisal process alongside the other options from the public consultation. If you liked the idea please include your name! :D

https://www.assembly.wales/en/gethome/e ... ionID=1398
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

I think if you want your idea to take off you need a way to show the basics to people in less than 25 minutes. Many people will be unwilling to commit that much time just to find out what it is you’re suggesting.
Pont Bendigeidfran

Thanks Chris, that's a really good idea!

Here we go - https://youtu.be/6kyctl5czq4
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Pont Bendigeidfran wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 21:35 Thanks Chris, that's a really good idea!

Here we go - https://youtu.be/6kyctl5czq4
That was quick! :thumbsup:
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

wrinkly wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 17:35 Purple option chosen:

https://gov.wales/newsroom/firstministe ... g/?lang=en
Forgive me if I've overlooked it, but is this the Purple option with two lanes, or four lanes?

Either way, this is very welcome news!
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I don't think it's mentioned in the press release I linked above but it seems to be the 4-lane one:

https://beta.gov.wales/a55-3rd-menai-crossing-0

Edit: Not quite. They're keeping open both 2- and 4- lane options by protecting the land needed for the 4-lane version and conducting further studies. Click on the above link, then on the first link there, then see sections 7 and 9.