M6 Junction 17-19 Smart Motorway Works

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Norfolktolancashire

M6 Junction 17-19 Smart Motorway Works

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

The M6 between the A556 and A534 junctions is presently being altered to D4, the signage state between these junctions (and also advertises the Northern Powerhouse logo!).

Last weekend I noticed that the roadworks over the past few weeks has increased southwards past junction 17 and now finishes just north of the Sandbach Services. This has increased the 50mph zone by another couple of miles.

My question is, while understanding that these new works are likely to be removing the grass central reservation in preparation for future smart motorway works, should this be allowed while there is existing miles of roadworks?

The whole section of the M6 between Stoke and the A556 is congested anyway, surely this new extended section of roadworks between junction 17 and the services should not happen until the other is completed?
Haydn1971

Re: M6 Junction 17-19 Smart Motorway Works

Post by Haydn1971 »

The scheme extends as far south as J16 - and I'd like to ask the minister for pies and pickles, just how does he expect to spend the highways budget when he places artificial constraints on contractors which inevitably end up creating longer time periods for improvements and probably cost more too.
Regards, Haydn

:: Visit My roads in Sheffield mini site
:: View my photostream on Flickr
Norfolktolancashire

Re: M6 Junction 17-19 Smart Motorway Works

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

Haydn1971 wrote:The scheme extends as far south as J16 - and I'd like to ask the minister for pies and pickles, just how does he expect to spend the highways budget when he places artificial constraints on contractors which inevitably end up creating longer time periods for improvements and probably cost more too.
Apologies, I'm sure the signage showed the scheme was between junctions 17 and 19, but I was travelling at 50mph which is a novelty on that stretch at the moment.

With consideration to the right honourable gentleman, I will reply that if this was the case as he so eloquently puts it, that the whole of the M6 between Stafford and Warrington should immediately be placed under 50mph constraints in order for the whole stretch to be constructed as smart motorway without delay.

Any complaints from the hundreds of thousands of motorists that will have their journey times substantially increase by this should write to their MP.

Yours sincerely

The minister of frozen turkey foodstuffs and hot pot 8-)