A6(NI) dualling to start

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Owain
Elected Committee Member

Re: A6(NI) dualling to start

Post by Owain »

Yesterday morning I drove the bit between the Toomebridge dual carriageway and the M22 at barely more than walking pace ... at 7am!

Pleased to see earthworks at the end of the M22. A sign of progress.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
IJP1

Post by IJP1 »

I entirely take the view made above - I cannot for the life of me see how a challenge clearly deliberately made at the last minute should ever have been taken seriously.

If we ever get an Assembly back, I would actually be keen to see if the law could be changed to stop that happening. The challenge could easily have been made years beforehand.

The fact we the taxpayers are now paying for this nonsense because Mr Murphy hasn't the means just shows what a complete farce it is.
-------------------------
Ian P. (IJP1)
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

I took a look at some of the traffic management along here on Saturday. Here are some of the pictures I took. If you can't read the font on the signs... imagine what it's like driving past them!

Last edited by Johnathan404 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

The yellow sign just says "Derry" on it! :yikes:

Viva la Repubblica!
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Owain wrote:The yellow sign just says "Derry" on it! :yikes:
Toome Bridge is Injun country. Probably best to sign it that way.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

This was the first thing I spotted too! All the other signs say "L'derry" so it's possible it was vandalised, but then the capitalisation wouldn't make sense.

The fonts used on almost all of these signs is awful so it's quite likely that the contractor lives by its own signage rules.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Johnathan404 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 20:46 This was the first thing I spotted too! All the other signs say "L'derry" so it's possible it was vandalised, but then the capitalisation wouldn't make sense.

The fonts used on almost all of these signs is awful so it's quite likely that the contractor lives by its own signage rules.
If you fancy a drive to the North, take a whiz around this roundabout. If you're a road enthusiast (as you most definitely are!) the roundabout is worth seeing, although I'd caution you against spending any more time in Coleraine because unless you have a fetish for pebble-dash and flags there really isn't anything else there (apart from this terrifying creation).

The signage and lane markings on the Lodge roundabout are hilarious. On both signage and road surface, the guys have had to write L'derry, because Londonderry is clearly too long to fit either. However, as if to emphasise that L'derry is purely an abbreviation of Londonderry and not a concession to those who wish to call it Derry, you will also see B'fast for Belfast, P'rush for Portrush, and M'sand for Mountsandel. I think that Mountsandel is the only other name that could not be painted quite easily on either sign or road.

Viva la Repubblica!
Berk

Post by Berk »

Given the well-known animosity, how does a well-meaning stranger mention “Foyle City” without indicating a preference one way or the other?? 🤔

When I worked at HMRC, we were told under NO circumstances to mention the department or which company mail was destined for (if sending mail to the Londonderry office).

Although I believe using Londonderry in the address was OK...
Chris_533976

Post by Chris_533976 »

I always found it funny to wind up my northern friends. Instead of saying Derry/Londonderry, something like DerryLondonDerry or DerryDerryLondon would really do it.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Like Gerry/Londongerry Anderson. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

I thought it was "Stroke City", because of the London/Derry business.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

At the risk of total thread derailment...

Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 22:18I thought it was "Stroke City", because of the London/Derry business.
Initially I thought it was a reference to the poor health of the place, but I think it is indeed a reference to the '/' in 'Derry/Londonderry'.

Berk wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 21:35Given the well-known animosity, how does a well-meaning stranger mention “Foyle City” without indicating a preference one way or the other?? 🤔
If you're taking the train from Coleraine, ask for a ticket to "the Waterside".

I used to have the guys at Coleraine station play games with me all the time. One conversation went like this:

Station Guy: "Where are you going?"
Me: "Derry."
Station Guy: "Where?"
Me: *Shrug* "Er .... London Derry ??"
Station Guy: "Ah! That'll be Platform 2, so it will."

With the students, I just used to call it "Owainderry". It's all good craic.

Berk wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 21:35Although I believe using Londonderry in the address was OK...
When I lived there, I used the following format for my address:

Dr Owain
Flat X
Block of Flats Name
Street Name
DERRY
County Londonderry
BT47 ***

Clever, eh? :wink:

---
Now, back on topic, that dualled A6 is going to make a big difference. The next thing they need to do is give Dungiven a bypass.

Viva la Repubblica!
explo

Post by explo »

Owain wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 22:50 At the risk of total thread derailment...

Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 22:18I thought it was "Stroke City", because of the London/Derry business.
Initially I thought it was a reference to the poor health of the place, but I think it is indeed a reference to the '/' in 'Derry/Londonderry'.

Berk wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 21:35Given the well-known animosity, how does a well-meaning stranger mention “Foyle City” without indicating a preference one way or the other?? 🤔
If you're taking the train from Coleraine, ask for a ticket to "the Waterside".

I used to have the guys at Coleraine station play games with me all the time. One conversation went like this:

Station Guy: "Where are you going?"
Me: "Derry."
Station Guy: "Where?"
Me: *Shrug* "Er .... London Derry ??"
Station Guy: "Ah! That'll be Platform 2, so it will."

With the students, I just used to call it "Owainderry". It's all good craic.

Berk wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 21:35Although I believe using Londonderry in the address was OK...
When I lived there, I used the following format for my address:

Dr Owain
Flat X
Block of Flats Name
Street Name
DERRY
County Londonderry
BT47 ***

Clever, eh? :wink:

---
Now, back on topic, that dualled A6 is going to make a big difference. The next thing they need to do is give Dungiven a bypass.
Already underway!
spacetweek

Post by spacetweek »

Yep, Derry-Dungiven is also under construction.
I maintain a site on Irish Motorways:
http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Owain wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 21:21
Johnathan404 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 20:46 This was the first thing I spotted too! All the other signs say "L'derry" so it's possible it was vandalised, but then the capitalisation wouldn't make sense.

If you fancy a drive to the North, take a whiz around this roundabout. If you're a road enthusiast (as you most definitely are!) the roundabout is worth seeing, although I'd caution you against spending any more time in Coleraine because unless you have a fetish for pebble-dash and flags there really isn't anything else there (apart from this terrifying creation).

The signage and lane markings on the Lodge roundabout are hilarious. On both signage and road surface, the guys have had to write L'derry, because Londonderry is clearly too long to fit either. However, as if to emphasise that L'derry is purely an abbreviation of Londonderry and not a concession to those who wish to call it Derry, you will also see B'fast for Belfast, P'rush for Portrush, and M'sand for Mountsandel. I think that Mountsandel is the only other name that could not be painted quite easily on either sign or road.
You're right that the level crossing is actually fairly terrifying. As is the scale of Lodge Road Roundabout compared with any of the others nearby, with the obvious carriageway flaring and mound for grade separation in the direction of Derry, but then no obvious route for it to follow on the east side of the roundabout - towards Balleymoney, or round the ring road, but no space left on either. Perhaps straight into the hospital instead...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
nirs

Post by nirs »

c2R wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 18:00As is the scale of Lodge Road Roundabout compared with any of the others nearby, with the obvious carriageway flaring and mound for grade separation in the direction of Derry, but then no obvious route for it to follow on the east side of the roundabout - towards Balleymoney, or round the ring road, but no space left on either. Perhaps straight into the hospital instead...
This map, from the 1968 Coleraine Area Plan, reveals what was planned, i.e. a fully grade separated bypass. The road marked "To Belfast" was likely the intended terminus of the M2, though I note it only has north-facing access to the Coleraine bypass. Presumably traffic heading for Lodge Road would have come off at an intermediate junction off the bottom-right of the map and continued into the town on what is today the A26 to Lodge Road roundabout.
IMG_9552 (1).jpg
Northern Ireland Roads Site www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

nirs wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 21:15
c2R wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 18:00As is the scale of Lodge Road Roundabout compared with any of the others nearby, with the obvious carriageway flaring and mound for grade separation in the direction of Derry, but then no obvious route for it to follow on the east side of the roundabout - towards Balleymoney, or round the ring road, but no space left on either. Perhaps straight into the hospital instead...
This map, from the 1968 Coleraine Area Plan, reveals what was planned, i.e. a fully grade separated bypass. The road marked "To Belfast" was likely the intended terminus of the M2, though I note it only has north-facing access to the Coleraine bypass. Presumably traffic heading for Lodge Road would have come off at an intermediate junction off the bottom-right of the map and continued into the town on what is today the A26 to Lodge Road roundabout.
IMG_9552 (1).jpg
thanks, that's really interesting; it confirms as well that the enormous Lodge Road grade separation scheme wasn't accompanied by anything the other side of the river, as it just still ploughs straight into the smaller A54 roundabout... It's also clear, as you highlight, that the north-facing access implies that's how traffic from Belfast etc. was considered to be approaching the area, and that traffic between Balleymoney and Derry would have to negotiate the roundabouts etc.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
odlum

Post by odlum »

nirs wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 21:15
IMG_9552 (1).jpg
Nice. 8-)
nirs

Post by nirs »

Nothing has been officially stated, but I think the new stretch of A6 from the end of the M22 at Randalstown to Toome will open on Monday, 5 August. This is based on two things. Firstly, this closure notice from he contractor's web site:
The A6 mainline will be Fully Closed in both directions from 10pm Friday 2 August - 6am Monday 5 August 2019, to facilitate tie-in works with the existing road network. (subject to change).
And secondly, this roadwork report that has appeared on TrafficWatchNI.

Exciting times for the north-west.
Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 10.29.40.png
Northern Ireland Roads Site www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

Last Friday, a 5k fun run/walk and 10k cycle time trial was organised on the new road in conjunction with Moneynick Primary School, which is looking forward to being permanently bypassed.

I was available, but with the state of my joints, I didn't think even what is a very modest 6.something miles was a good idea on the bike, so I had to give it a miss. Still, I'll be driving up that road on Monday 12th!