[IRL] M11 Enniscorthy Bypass

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Brownfools

Re: [IRL] M11 Enniscorthy Bypass

Post by Brownfools »

Can anyone confirm the opening date posted above. While we all hope that this is true, I can't find anything on websites or the press.
odlum

Post by odlum »

I have no information on actual date.

I have nice pics though.

https://www.m11gtoe.ie/wordpress/wp-con ... 5I5900.jpg

Southern terminus:
https://www.m11gtoe.ie/wordpress/wp-con ... 5I6373.jpg

The mway will continue from there in the next scheme to Rosslare.
jdwexford

Post by jdwexford »

The confirmed date for opening is July 18th, and Taoiseach Leo Varadkar will officially open it.
IAN

Post by IAN »

The mway will continue from there in the next scheme to Rosslare.
In that case it appears that once again no future proofing in the form of an unfinished GSJ has been included in the terminal junction, they managed that with the M18 so why not here?

Ian (M5 Driver)
AKA M5 Driver
Brownfools

Post by Brownfools »

Lovely drone shots from Odlum. Obviously taken within the last week.
Thanks to jdwexford for the opening date information. Sods law! I'm driving down from Dublin to Wexford the previous evening!
Ian; future-proofing was unnecessary here. The new junction will be offline, similar the Frankfort junction. The M11 will continue to the east of Oilgate. Thus the current junction keeps the traffic flow away from the Oilgate to Rosslare works, when they start. Consultants were appointed a couple of weeks ago to examine the proposals.
RoI is such a refreshing change from the UK. Things get built!
bothar

Post by bothar »

"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Cheers,that should make my next journey to Rosslare next month substantially quicker! Shame it'll be dark and I'll not be able to get any photos!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Brownfools

Post by Brownfools »

Lovely!!
Saved me 13 minutes this afternoon. From my driveway to Dublin airport is now exactly two hours.
Love the layout at the southern end, giving away exactly how it will be modified for the extension to Rosslare.
On the downside, one wonders how long the village of Camolin will be able to support two petrol stations.
Enceladus

Post by Enceladus »

Drove down Wexford way a couple of days before the new M11 Enniscorthy by-pass opened. Got myself some delicious Wexford strawberries from a roadside stall just outside Ferns. :)

I’m sure it has brought great relief to Enniscorthy but according to posters on the roads forum of boards.ie the tailbacks southbound in the village of Oilgate are brutal at times...
Certified Roads Geek ... and proud of it!
Viator

Post by Viator »

I had the pleasure of driving the whole bypass northbound last Saturday (just over a week after the official opening) at around 17.45 -- and was astounded that in the whole 27 km I saw not even one other vehicle either ahead of or behind me! (Is this what driving in the very earliest days of British motorway construction was like?)

A curiosity (to me) was that in, I think, three locations there were long two-lane "Garda only" laybys presently barriered off at their exits and actually gated at their entrances. The cones and barriers currently in place look temporary. Have these laybys perhaps been installed to serve as vehicle inspection points of some kind?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I'm not sure...

also... we've got this wiki page: https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... e_Junction But looking at the maps, I doubt there is proposed to be a motorway junction at this location - it looks like a LAR has been built alongside, linking it with J25.

Does anyone know if anything is planned here, e.g. some development, or is our wiki page based on old plans that aren't going to come to fruition, or is it just wrong?
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps

From the SABRE Wiki: Tomnafunshoge Junction :

|

... Read More
jdwexford

Post by jdwexford »

Junction north of Oylegate will be something like this, so they will make use of the existing roundabout when they design the alignment to Rosslare.

jdwexford

Post by jdwexford »

Viator wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 13:58
A curiosity (to me) was that in, I think, three locations there were long two-lane "Garda only" laybys presently barriered off at their exits and actually gated at their entrances. The cones and barriers currently in place look temporary. Have these laybys perhaps been installed to serve as vehicle inspection points of some kind?
They were designed as lay-bys. However with Gorey and Coyne's Cross Service Areas open they won't be needed. You stick with the contracted design when working with BAM, otherwise it'll cost ye! They will probably be used by the Gardai, Revenue. and Customs for inspection areas as you said.
jdwexford

Post by jdwexford »

Enceladus wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 23:58

I’m sure it has brought great relief to Enniscorthy but according to posters on the roads forum of boards.ie the tailbacks southbound in the village of Oilgate are brutal at times...
That was because they installed traffic lights that would let 5 or 6 cars through at a time in Oylegate when the motorway opened! I think it has been rectified, traffic volumes are much the same.
Viator

Post by Viator »

jdwexford wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 16:23
Viator wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 13:58
They were designed as lay-bys. However with Gorey and Coyne's Cross Service Areas open they won't be needed. You stick with the contracted design when working with BAM, otherwise it'll cost ye! They will probably be used by the Gardai, Revenue. and Customs for inspection areas as you said.
Thanks for all the info on this and other points, jd. :)
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

I used it at 7pm on a Tuesday evening. I'd by lying if I said it was totally deserted, but it came pretty darn close, as these pictures show:

The position of the start/end motorway signs is very odd. They are 500 metres north of the roundabout, with the hard shoulder marked as a non-motorway south of there. I'd like to think this is to do with a future extension, but Irish chopsticks have a tendency to be in odd places. It is also strange how there are about four ADSs approaching the roundabout, which I suppose are provided as substitutes for normal junction signage: they provide very advance warning!

I didn't have any problems getting through Oilgate, but it did feel like a drag after this blissful run. It is remarkable that the N/M11 is D2 pretty much the whole way from Donnybrook to Wexford: it highlights just how overloaded the Dublin commuter section is. I'd say this is the very same mistake as the English M1/M6 being built as D3M the whole way from London to Carlisle, despite the totally predictable variances in traffic levels along the route.
Last edited by Johnathan404 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Enceladus

Post by Enceladus »

Great photos of the new section of the M11 motorway, Jonathan! :D :)
I presume they were taken from a dash cam you have in your car?

Some lovely new vistas of the rich Wexford countryside opened up by the Enniscorthy by-pass. I can only imagine that the service stations in Camolin and Ferns on the old road are suffering badly, with one of them bound to close within a year.

Also, from the Roads Forum on boards.ie, the N30 Enniscothy Northern by-pass section project opened to traffic today. This takes all the strategic long distance traffic away from the town. :driving: :driving:
bothar

Post by bothar »

Johnathan404 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 20:45 I didn't have any problems getting through Oilgate, but it did feel like a drag after this blissful run. It is remarkable that the N/M11 is D2 pretty much the whole way from Donnybrook to Wexford: it highlights just how overloaded the Dublin commuter section is. I'd say this is the very same mistake as the English M1/M6 being built as D3M the whole way from London to Carlisle, despite the totally predictable variances in traffic levels along the route.
Of course the N11 no longer runs to Donnybrook, it is the R138. However, the urban section is D3, except one lane is a bus lane.
THe M11/N11 will be increased to 3 lanes to Kilmanogue.
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
odlum

Post by odlum »

bothar wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 00:15
THe M11/N11 will be increased to 3 lanes to Kilmanogue.
Think the extra lanes are going a good bit further than that through the Glen of the Downs.
Enceladus

Post by Enceladus »

A drive from North to South on the new M11 Enniscorthy by-pass. Originally posted up on the Roads forum of boards.ie.

I drove it last week for the first time - a really superb stretch of motorway. :)