M56 new Junction 11a

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Jeni
Banned

Re: M56 new Junction 11a

Post by Jeni »

Flythroughs have now been posted for both options:

Option A:

Option B:
jackal

Post by jackal »

fras

Post by fras »

So, tick the box that says "consult", but ignore its findings !

Yet again, a massive traffic lights scheme, no doubt with 100+ signal heads. Well, at least somebody gets a benefit, the signal manufacturers !
jackal

Post by jackal »

At pp. 37-38 of the consultation report they consider the alternative of replacing the throughabout with an overpass or underpass, but claim the east-facing slips wouldn't fit in. They didn't try very hard - for instance, a dumbell or diamond layout with the bridge to the west would have provided more space for the east-facing slips.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Three signalised junctions to get onto the Southern Expressway from the east; it'll be quicker to stay on the Weston Point route as that only involves one signalised hamburger. How on earth has this scored a positive BCR?

Another winner from the "we can't design junctions" department.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
fras

Post by fras »

When built will this go straight into the CBRD Bad Junctions pages ? I suspect it will.
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

I really don't understand the way some of these planners think. Authorities complain about congestion but new schemes are produced that only hinder the freeflow of traffic rather than helping it keep moving or improving it.

Looking at both proposals, if they insist on installing signal after signal after signal, they may as well just go for Option B. Option A with all the signals will simply lead to those not knowing the area getting into the wrong lane on the roundabout, needing to change lanes when the traffic has built up because of the red lights e.t.c… We're already seeing this happening at the revised hamburger roundabout at junction 12.

I've noticed how A56 traffic heading east remains screwed by Option A - it looks like 'left turn only' will remain. Option B seems to include at least an option for traffic to head for Preston Brook.
The journey is never over until the arrival.
Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman »

Most of the Sabre designs were preferable, but, out of HE's two crummy options, they did at least select the better one (B). If there must be signals, a signalised crossroads is always better than a through-about. In my opinion, a through-about/hamburger is an intersection type that simply should not exist.
MotorwayPlannerM21

Post by MotorwayPlannerM21 »

Peter Freeman wrote:In my opinion, a through-about/hamburger is an intersection type that simply should not exist.
I would say it's useful if you have lots of roads joining but one main route through, but not just two routes crossing.
"All roads lead to Rome"
What about the M25?

The A205 - The road to... oh wait I should've turned right back there!
gepree68

Post by gepree68 »

On the M56 there is currently no junction 13 between (travelling eastbound) junctions 14 and 12.

If there are no plans to build this junction 13, why don't they renumber junction 12 to 13, and then call the new junction 12 (rather than 11A)?
MotorwayPlannerM21

Post by MotorwayPlannerM21 »

gepree68 wrote:On the M56 there is currently no junction 13 between (travelling eastbound) junctions 14 and 12.

If there are no plans to build this junction 13, why don't they renumber junction 12 to 13, and then call the new junction 12 (rather than 11A)?
Because that would make too much sense and be too much effort.
"All roads lead to Rome"
What about the M25?

The A205 - The road to... oh wait I should've turned right back there!
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

Any update on this? Can’t see much online. I’m interested because doing nothing is actually an improvement on this abomination of a scheme.

Seriously... what is the point?
Euan

Post by Euan »

Hdeng16 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 07:51 Any update on this? Can’t see much online. I’m interested because doing nothing is actually an improvement on this abomination of a scheme.

Seriously... what is the point?
The scheme does seem to have gone a bit quiet, but according to the HE website construction work is still expected to start in "summer 2020". If the projected timeline is accurate then throughout last year there would have been ground investigation works, but has anyone local seen any taking place?
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
CaptainSlow

Post by CaptainSlow »

There has been work on the M56 around this area recently - for instance there is now no hard shoulder on the M56 (in both directions) where it passes under the bridge for the A533. The main carriageway has been "shifted over" to the left to allow for a wider central reservation as some new bridge supports appear to have been installed (they look temporary but not sure if they actually are). There have also been a number of complete overnight closures of this part of the motorway (between J11 and J12) over the last two weeks.

Google maps shows the work being done (click here) but can't find any photos of the finished product online myself - i've got a "drive through" taken off my dashcam here.

Not sure if this work relates to this project - but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I think that's genuinely more the A533 bridge is falling to bits much like the old A556 bridge was as well before it was fully replaced.
Bryn

jackal

Post by jackal »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 13:03 Three signalised junctions to get onto the Southern Expressway from the east; it'll be quicker to stay on the Weston Point route as that only involves one signalised hamburger. How on earth has this scored a positive BCR?
It seems it didn't!
In March, the Department for Transport announced the second Road Investment Strategy (RIS2) for 2020 – 2025 which confirmed the scheme would not be part of the five-year plan and will not be progressed further.
Our assessments suggested the scheme would not provide value for money because of improved traffic flows due to recent improvements to the roundabout at junctions 12 for the Mersey Gateway Bridge. Further investigations concluded that the benefit to cost ration [sic] of a new junction could not be improved.
Although the scheme will not be progressing, we will continue with work to replace the A533 Expressway Bridge, with work set to start later in the year and completion in 2022.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... k6BvjybjR-_

Work on the replacement bridge actually started a few weeks ago, for a princely sum of £23m.
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

Dearie me, first time I've come across this scheme. What a concrete, signalised mess that would have been.

As for the bridge, isn't it a bit of a stretch for them to label it the 'A533 Expressway Bridge'......the road is hardly an expressway at the point of the bridge.
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

jackal wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 08:13 Work on the replacement bridge actually started a few weeks ago, for a princely sum of £23m.
They have indeed. There's a few articles out there about it. Here's one of the local ones. I didn't actually know the bridge was going to be replaced until the back-end of last year, so I must have missed the initial announcement.

I did wonder, however, why this happened underneath the bridge a couple of years ago. Extra supports went up under the bridge on the central reservation and the hard shoulder was removed on both carriageways. I wonder if both carriageways will be tweaked again once the new bridge goes up...?
The journey is never over until the arrival.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

haymansafc wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 15:51
jackal wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 08:13 Work on the replacement bridge actually started a few weeks ago, for a princely sum of £23m.
They have indeed. There's a few articles out there about it. Here's one of the local ones. I didn't actually know the bridge was going to be replaced until the back-end of last year, so I must have missed the initial announcement.

I did wonder, however, why this happened underneath the bridge a couple of years ago. Extra supports went up under the bridge on the central reservation and the hard shoulder was removed on both carriageways. I wonder if both carriageways will be tweaked again once the new bridge goes up...?
Those are temporary supports holding up the bridge, very similar to what happened with the A556 spur bridge about 15 years ago. The normal D3M configuration will be reinstated when the bridge is replaced.
Bryn