M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Johnathan404

M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Post by Johnathan404 »

I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Lockwood

Re: M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Post by Lockwood »

Lucky that there was only one injury there.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

This tweet from the account of 'Kent 999s' has a video from a car on the opposite carriageway which looks like it was taken just after the event occurred:

https://twitter.com/Kent_999s/status/769497132835405825
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
J--M--B

Post by J--M--B »

There is a video on Twitter of someone driving under the remains of the bridge on the other carriageway, presume before emergency services arrived.

They are in a line of slow moving traffic, not sure if I would want to do that.
JMB
Fort William
http://www.mbriscoe.me.uk

"Give me the third best technology. The second best won't be ready in time. The best will never be ready." Robert Watson-Watt
frediculous_biggs
President

Post by frediculous_biggs »

Here's the report from the local news site.

They seem to suggest the lorry hit something then hit the bridge.

Either way, this is going to cause a lot of disruption. I guess the rest of it will need to de demolished overnight in case it falls further. I wonder how similar this is to the bridge failure (but not collapse) on the M25 near J9 about a decade ago.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

Looking at the images on Google Earth I note that there is a higher crash barrier protecting the overhead signage just before the bridge but stops beside it so maybe the lorry has been shunted sideways into the bridge support?

The bridge itself has temporary fencing attached to the actual railings, will be interesting to see if this bridge has been identified as weak.
Haydn1971

Post by Haydn1971 »

Very lucky that no one has lost their life here. I'm puzzled that the bridge "just" collapsed, it would be a very unusual thing to happen given our standard of regular bridge inspections, so I expect that something has indeed hit the bridge causing it to collapse.

Interestingly, we were looking at a departure on the slip road type and lengths at this location for the forthcoming ALR scheme because of the bridge, so that's a redesign coming up for us ;-)
Regards, Haydn

:: Visit My roads in Sheffield mini site
:: View my photostream on Flickr
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Fortunately no one would, for a single solitary second, suggest that "someone" had engineered the incident to make their scheme easier... :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :twisted:
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Haydn1971 wrote:I'm puzzled that the bridge "just" collapsed, it would be a very unusual thing to happen given our standard of regular bridge inspections, so I expect that something has indeed hit the bridge causing it to collapse.
It was originally reported as collapsing on its own, but the revised news article suggests the lorry carrying the JCB was moving on the hard shoulder when it struck the bridge. This would fit you suggesting the bridge is unsuitable for ALR.

Who pays for that? Was the lorry driver to know he fits under some lanes only?
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Haydn1971

Post by Haydn1971 »

Conekicker wrote:Fortunately no one would, for a single solitary second, suggest that "someone" had engineered the incident to make their scheme easier... :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :twisted:
Coughs, especially as in in London today ;-)
Regards, Haydn

Haydn1971

Post by Haydn1971 »

Johnathan404 wrote:It was originally reported as collapsing on its own, but the revised news article suggests the lorry carrying the JCB was moving on the hard shoulder when it struck the bridge. This would fit you suggesting the bridge is unsuitable for ALR.
The departure is for lack of width for the slip roads not for 4 lanes of running - as far as I'm aware, the height above the hardshoulder is sufficient.
Johnathan404 wrote:Who pays for that? Was the lorry driver to know he fits under some lanes only?
'

Drivers insurance - I'm guessing the jib wasn't lowered sufficiently to clear a standard bridge over the motorway - probably the other bridges he passed under were a tad higher
Regards, Haydn

roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Should it collapse like that even if it is hit?

How much punishment should it be able to take before coming down?
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Reports that a lorry was carrying a digger and driving in the hard shoulder. So question being why was it driving in the hard shoulder?
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

roadtester wrote:Should it collapse like that even if it is hit?

How much punishment should it be able to take before coming down?
I would guess ped bridges are pretty light compared to road bridges so building them to survive impact would be overkill?
J--M--B

Post by J--M--B »

Mark Hewitt wrote: I would guess ped bridges are pretty light compared to road bridges so building them to survive impact would be overkill?
Would you say that if you were on one that was hit.
JMB
Fort William

"Give me the third best technology. The second best won't be ready in time. The best will never be ready." Robert Watson-Watt
J--M--B

Post by J--M--B »

Most of the images don't show very much, just lots of debris from the lorry in Lane 1 which seems to have the top of its trailer ripped off as the bridge came down.

A lot of conflicting stories, one witness was quoted as saying the motorcyclist threw himself off his bike and slid under the bridge but others say he was trapped under his bike which would fit better with broken ribs.

This Tweet suggests the lorry was from a recovery company?

This appears to show the diggers arm over the top of the bridge
Last edited by J--M--B on Sat Aug 27, 2016 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
JMB
Fort William

Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

J--M--B wrote:Most of the images don't show very much, just lots of debris from the lorry in Lane 1 which seems to have the top of its trailer ripped off as the bridge came down. But this oneappears to show the arm of the digger that hit the bridge, it seems raised but that could have been because of the collision.

A lot of conflicting stories, one witness was quoted as saying the motorcyclist threw himself off his bike and slid under the bridge but others say he was trapped under his bike which would fit better with broken ribs.

This Tweet suggests the lorry was from a recovery company?

This appears to show the diggers arm over the top of the bridge
Your first link is clearly that of a piece of machinery involved in night time work on a bridge - nothing to do with this incident.

Your third link shown the span has been broken, which will help to speed the clear up. A bit.

The bridge in question is this one:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.30894 ... 6656?hl=en

The span over the westbound has fallen. The one over the eastbound seems to still be up according to a photo on the BBC website, though goodness knows how.

It might be possible to prop the eastbound side if they take out both offside lanes, but only after they've cleared the debris from the westbound. I'd guess we're looking at it being closed until at least sometime on Monday, maybe later.

Looks like there's an emergency central reserve crossover close by, so the trapped westbound HGVs will be able to escape fairly easily:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.30889 ... 6656?hl=en
(once someone can find a spanner that fits...)

Good opportunity to demolish the whole thing and start again, especially if it's causing problems for the ALR scheme. Designing, sourcing and placing a replacement beam is going to take ages, probably not less than a year. A new steel bridge, with a greater clearance, wouldn't take much longer to sort out.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
LeedsKing

Post by LeedsKing »

Unclear whether the height of lorry+digger would have cleared the bridge if in Lane 1 instead of on the shoulder. But it could probably only do 38mph with such a load? so it crawled along the shoulder? (not legal) Vehicles that can't do 50mph aren't allowed on mways? Or maybe it would have struck the bridge regardless of what lane.

I have a feeling the driver or company are about to be fined a lot of money. Maybe even prison? Possibly the cost of clearup or bridge replacement. People stuck in jams never get any compensation.
-------------------------------------------------
Where we're going, we DO need roads

Ford Focus Ghia
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

This reminds me very much of this one on the A180 near Grimsby which was hit in 2012.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-29175294