M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ANiceEnglishman

Re: M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Post by ANiceEnglishman »

LeedsKing wrote:As I see it there are two options for the future.
1. Remove the remaining hanging bridge at night and the spiral walkways at each end. May require road closure for one or two nights and a demolition?

2. Remove the bridge and replace it: will take much longer.

Option 1 will presumably irritate local former bridge users.
3. Just replace the now missing bit?
You can find any answers you want on the Internet. Some of them may even be correct.
Haydn1971

Post by Haydn1971 »

ANiceEnglishman wrote:3. Just replace the now missing bit?
That's probably unlikely - many of the schemes I've worked on recently have missing as built drawings so it's near impossible to do any structural calculations on the existing bridge. In any event, there are probably repairs required to the mid span bearings and as I alluded to upthread, the bridge was in the way of the ALR slip roads, which required departures, this I'd wager that HE come to a collective decision to replace the whole bridge structure with something able to accommodate the forthcoming ALR scheme - it may be integrated with the ALR scheme, but I suspect it will be separated out due to the timescales.
Regards, Haydn

:: Visit My roads in Sheffield mini site
:: View my photostream on Flickr
ANiceEnglishman

Post by ANiceEnglishman »

Haydn1971 wrote:
That's probably unlikely - many of the schemes I've worked on recently have missing as built drawings so it's near impossible to do any structural calculations on the existing bridge. In any event, there are probably repairs required to the mid span bearings and as I alluded to upthread, the bridge was in the way of the ALR slip roads, which required departures, this I'd wager that HE come to a collective decision to replace the whole bridge structure with something able to accommodate the forthcoming ALR scheme - it may be integrated with the ALR scheme, but I suspect it will be separated out due to the timescales.
Makes sense when the larger picture is considered. Thanks Haydn.
You can find any answers you want on the Internet. Some of them may even be correct.
jlsmith

Post by jlsmith »

kit wrote:
LeedsKing wrote:Option 1 will presumably irritate local former bridge users.
You cannot just close a footpath, it has to have a legal order to be stopped up.
There was a public footpath which was closed by a Statutory Instrument for months over the nearby A21, with no alternative provided, when the bridge was removed for safety reasons. The footpath closure was just renewed as required by renewal of the SI, although this was the eventual intention of replacing the bridge; now done.

Interestingly the bridge was a similar structure - see old SV image.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.19911 ... 312!8i6656
Glom

Re: RE: Re: M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Post by Glom »

Haydn1971 wrote:
Of they're going to replace with a wider structure, couldn't they replace it with some to accommodate a bit extra. You know, just in case hard shoulders become fashionable again.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

If you'll excuse the gratuitous plug, there's some information (and diagrams) explaining the collapse and the state of the remaining section of bridge in a new CBRD article here.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Great article - maybe hysterical journalists will read it and not feel the need to go on about half a bridge etc.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Glom

Post by Glom »

We should start an urban legend that driving under the bridge brings good luck.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

kit wrote:
LeedsKing wrote:Option 1 will presumably irritate local former bridge users.
You cannot just close a footpath, it has to have a legal order to be stopped up. Bearing in mind this is high profile, it will probably be easier just to replace the bridge especially as the (very expensive) bill will most likely be picked up by the haulier's insurance.
Dropped pin
near B1173, Spalding PE12
https://goo.gl/maps/WD3brXkdocy
This path has been closed for going over a year now, the only option is for pedestrians to walk on the road, which is NSL. The footway is collapsing into the field and it'll cost more than the council want to pay to fix it.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

Which will be all the hauliers Insurance co will be willing to pay for...
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

novaecosse wrote:
Ah yes, "betterment"...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

novaecosse wrote:
I suspect this footbridge was on a list to be replaced given the failing parapet (shored up by combisafe on GSV) and the half joint.
My guess is a replacement steel structure which will be fitted onto existing supports after they have been reworked to accommodate the updated articulations. There are a few examples over the M3 with a Vierendeel truss and one over the M4 with a Warren truss just west of Swindon.
I would expect the haulier's contribution will be secured to part fund this via the loss adjusters
M3.jpg
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

RichardA35 wrote:My guess is a replacement steel structure which will be fitted onto existing supports after they have been reworked to accommodate the updated articulations. There are a few examples over the M3 with a Vierendeel truss and one over the M4 with a Warren truss just west of Swindon.
I would expect the haulier's contribution will be secured to part fund this via the loss adjusters M3.jpg
There's a whole run of footbridges on the 1971-opened section of M4 between Reading and Bath that were replaced with ones similar to your picture in the last ten years or so. What were the original bridges like - did they have mid-span joints or other similar features? I don't honestly know what kind of bridge was replaced or why they were done in such numbers.
kit
Banned

Post by kit »

Bryn666 wrote:
novaecosse wrote:
Ah yes, "betterment"...
If the haulier can find a structural surveyor willing to sign off such a repair.

My experience of old expensive things that aren't designed to facilitate a repair is that they are almost always cheaper to replace rather than repair.
I didn't want to believe my Dad was stealing from his job as a road worker. But when I got home, all the signs were there.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

kit wrote:
Bryn666 wrote:
novaecosse wrote:
Ah yes, "betterment"...
If the haulier can find a structural surveyor willing to sign off such a repair.

My experience of old expensive things that aren't designed to facilitate a repair is that they are almost always cheaper to replace rather than repair.
(my bold)

It'll be the insurers on the hook for this job, and they'd argue black was white to reduce a pay-out.
Built for comfort, not speed.
kit
Banned

Post by kit »

rhyds wrote:(my bold)

It'll be the insurers on the hook for this job, and they'd argue black was white to reduce a pay-out.
Technically it is the hauliers on the hook although of course their insurers have agreed to indemnify them. You're still at fault and legally liable if you are at fault for an accident even if you have insurance.

If you have a not-at-fault accident insurance companies are fond of pretending that they are the last line and giving you a "final offer". If you're not happy you can always just issue small claims against the other party which tends to move things along a bit.

(Incidentally when my wife was 12 she was hit by a car on a pedestrian crossing. In a charitable move the insurance company sent out small claims papers to her for damage to the car, which were hastily removed after a phone call to query!)
I didn't want to believe my Dad was stealing from his job as a road worker. But when I got home, all the signs were there.
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

Talking of insurers, there's a good chance that there will be a fair few claims on travel insurance for missed trips, and probably a few lorry-loads of time-sensitive perishable goods that have had to be disposed of. Would the insurers of these people just take the hit, or are they likely to cross-claim from the haulier's insurers, or even just wash their hands of this and tell people to get hold of and claim from the hauliers if they can?
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
XC70

Post by XC70 »

M4 Cardiff wrote:Talking of insurers, there's a good chance that there will be a fair few claims on travel insurance for missed trips, and probably a few lorry-loads of time-sensitive perishable goods that have had to be disposed of. Would the insurers of these people just take the hit, or are they likely to cross-claim from the haulier's insurers, or even just wash their hands of this and tell people to get hold of and claim from the hauliers if they can?
Most people would be heading to Dover by private car and i seem to remember that travel insurance generally excludes missing a holiday when going by anything other than public transport.
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Bridge being removed this week-end Expect travel chaos
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

Three motorway bridges being demolished in one month! HE probably demolish around that number each year.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!