"Perth Transport Futures"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jnty

Re: "Perth Transport Futures"

Post by jnty »

Severing immediate access to the services is one thing but making the park and ride and ride harder to get to is quite another, from a public policy point of view. Would connecting to a new road by the P&R leave too little distance between slips?
JammyDodge

Post by JammyDodge »

jackal wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 16:09 My first thought was 'you've got to be kidding - 5/6 freeflow is plenty!'. But actually you're right. This is such an important junction (essentially the centre of the Scottish trunk road network) that any missing freeflow between the strategic movements is an issue.

Here, then, is my final offer.

M90 A9 B9112 - Copy.jpg

It freeflows all six A9 and M90 movements and still only uses one bridge. The A93 has limited access, with the missing movements via a new junction on the B9112 (see inset).

It's loosely inspired by this junction outside Limerick: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.64119 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Alternatively, for the missing movements you could have an overbridge over the M90 here:
Screenshot 2022-05-06 213002.jpg
This would still provides ~400m of weaving space, as you could remove the HS heading northbound under the existing overbridge, which would give you a lane gain between the slips
This would do 2 things:
1) Placate the services as they will still have pretty direct access to all directions
2) Serve as access for future development south of the M90, which could look like this:
Screenshot 2022-05-06 214244.jpg
If needed, a southbound slip onto the M90 could also be added from the new overbridge
Designing Tomorrow, Around the Past
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Going back to the Cross Tay Link Road, I came down the A94 into Scone yesterday, and there are some major roadworks underway. I had assumed that the new road was going to tie into the existing roundabout, but they are actually building a new one about 200m to the north, which seems a bit unnecessary. There is a big sign up saying that the works should be complete and the new road open in Spring 2025, which was another surprise, as I thought that the original plan was for the road to be built in stages, with the bridge being the last part.

I can't see such a major route opening with the B9993 number throughout, but on recent form in Scotland the A9993 could be possible :roll: Lets hope P&K either re-route the A94, or pick a nice unused number, as far as we know the A992 number has never been used, or the A927 is defunct, and in the right part of Zone 9.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: B9993 :

The B9993 is the number which has been assigned to some of the new roads being built around Bertha Park and Inveralmond to the north west of Perth. This makes it the highest numbered B road in the UK, and it is likely to stay as such for a long time as the next highest number in use is the B9178. The route is the first part of the Springfield Link Road designed to open up the Bertha Park area as a

... Read More