"Perth Transport Futures"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Glen
Social Media Admin

Re: "Perth Transport Futures"

Post by Glen »

The beams for the new overbridge at the A85 junction were lifted in place over the A9 on Monday and Tuesday nights this week.

https://twitter.com/PTFutures1/status/8 ... 4902569984
https://twitter.com/PTFutures1/status/8 ... 7947833344
https://twitter.com/PTFutures1/status/8 ... 6456222720
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Post by Duncan macknight »

The northbound on slip has been added to the road ie the chevrons and such like. The enbankment to the overbridge is slowly reaching the abutments!
paully

Post by paully »

I've just been along the route of the new road this evening.

On the Crieff Road, traffic is now using the newly rerouted section of Crieff Road close to where the old crematorium road junction was. The 208 pub was demolished some months ago, and work is commencing on the construction of flats(?) on the site. The new section of the link road past the crematorium is lined and signed, and is publicly accessible on foot and by vehicle for 200-300m beyond the new crematorium access road (along the back of McDiarmid park, around 200m from the new A9 junction).

Further down, at the Western end of the Inveralmond Industrial Estate, the new roundabout is in place close to the River Almond. It's not fully open yet (temporary traffic lights). The bridge over the Almond is as good as finished (wearing course missing on one side of the road over the bridge, and some minor work to the expansion joints looks to be needing finished). Beyond the bridge, the road is fully surfaced and curves round to the new secondary school at Bertha park. Interestingly, the new road appears to have been given the number B9993, which means it will be the highest numbered road in the country. There is a sign at the new roundabout at the Western end of the industrial estate to confirm this (the road over the bridge is signed "Bertha Park B9993").
paully

Post by paully »

The first stretch of the B9993 opened yesterday, from the new roundabout at Ruthvenfield Road to another new roundabout on the other side of the River Almond, close to the new school and housing that is being built.

Interestingly, this seems to have created a strange scenario (possibly unique on the mainland) where a classified road is completely disconnected from the rest of the network. The remaining parts of the B9993 are no more than a mud track at the moment so are some months away from opening.

The Courier website seems to suggest that some of the sliproads will be opening on Friday at the new A9/A85 junction:
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/lo ... k-project/
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Odd that they chose such a high number, when there are plenty of lower-numbered B9xxx numbers available, and indeed a number of three digit B9xx numbers.
paully

Post by paully »

orudge wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 13:35 Odd that they chose such a high number, when there are plenty of lower-numbered B9xxx numbers available, and indeed a number of three digit B9xx numbers.
I'm surprised they've chosen a B number at all. The stretch across the Tay definitely deserves to be an A-road. It will take a lot of traffic from Blairgowrie/Coupar Angus/Scone heading to the A9.
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

paully wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:21
orudge wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 13:35 Odd that they chose such a high number, when there are plenty of lower-numbered B9xxx numbers available, and indeed a number of three digit B9xx numbers.
I'm surprised they've chosen a B number at all. The stretch across the Tay definitely deserves to be an A-road. It will take a lot of traffic from Blairgowrie/Coupar Angus/Scone heading to the A9.
Indeed. The section east of the A9 must surely be an A-Road. It would make sense for it to be part of the A93 or A94 with the roads within Perth renumbered.
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

I think that as the new Tay Crossing is potentially still several years away, they may be reluctant to give an A number to a short section of route is going to open as a dead end leading into the new development. The connection between it and the Tay Crossing is, I believe, phase 3, so even when the bridge is built, the B9993 may not form a continuous route with it. I can actually see the A94 being brought around the new road when it is completed, but that could be 5, 10 or even 20 years away.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

paully wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:36 The Courier website seems to suggest that some of the sliproads will be opening on Friday at the new A9/A85 junction:
The new southbound off-slip opened late this afternoon, with the existing southbound off-slip now permanently closed.
Traffic is being routed around the back of McDiarmid Park onto the A85.
paully

Post by paully »

novaecosse wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 21:55
paully wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:36 The Courier website seems to suggest that some of the sliproads will be opening on Friday at the new A9/A85 junction:
The new southbound off-slip opened late this afternoon, with the existing southbound off-slip now permanently closed.
I drove it at the weekend, unfortunately I couldn't get any pictures.

The new sign on the A9 for the exit looks horrible - it signs "Crieff, Crianlarich A85" (green background) and "Perth A85" (white patch) as if they are different roads.

From the sign at the top of the new sliproad, the right turn was signed as Crieff & Crianlarich A85 and Bertha Park (B9993), meaning that not only is the existing Crieff Road remaining as the A85, the new section of road and presumably the new link road on the West side of the A9 are also going to be called the A85!
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

paully wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 22:37
novaecosse wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 21:55
I drove it at the weekend, unfortunately I couldn't get any pictures.

The new sign on the A9 for the exit looks horrible - it signs "Crieff, Crianlarich A85" (green background) and "Perth A85" (white patch) as if they are different roads.

From the sign at the top of the new sliproad, the right turn was signed as Crieff & Crianlarich A85 and Bertha Park (B9993), meaning that not only is the existing Crieff Road remaining as the A85, the new section of road and presumably the new link road on the West side of the A9 are also going to be called the A85!
It’s sort of like a mini ring road, except only part of it will be trunk.

They seem to have forgotten to put ribbed edgeline down on the offslip... another thing for the handover list! :wink:
paully

Post by paully »

novaecosse wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 18:41 They seem to have forgotten to put ribbed edgeline down on the offslip... another thing for the handover list! :wink:
Thanks for the update on the layout, you might also want to point out that most of the new signs show "Crianlarich (A82)", but the A82 isn't reached until the you've passed through Crianlarich!
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

The link road from the A85 and the northbound on-slip open tonight, with the existing northbound on slip closed.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

The new southbound on-slip to the A9 opened on Friday.

It even has ribbed edgelines :mrgreen:
Bertiebus

Post by Bertiebus »

novaecosse wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 21:13 The new southbound on-slip to the A9 opened on Friday.

It even has ribbed edgelines :mrgreen:
Let me get this right... eastbound on the A85 you now have to go past the roundabout for the old southbound A9 access to the new signalled T junction and turn left there to access the southbound A90. Correct?
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

We ended up on the new slip roads and link road yesterday on the way to Tesco, seemed a good bit of road.
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Bertiebus wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 23:20 Let me get this right... eastbound on the A85 you now have to go past the roundabout for the old southbound A9 access to the new signalled T junction and turn left there to access the southbound A90. Correct?
At present, yes. However, once the new bridge over the A9 is open, you could turn left before the A9, and go up to the new junction at that point. From my point of view, it's all a bit of a mess, and won't improve any of my journeys through the junction, but with the growth of Inveralmond / Bertha Park and the longer term links across the Tay, it is probably about as good as they could manage with the available land. Retaining any of the old southbound onslip would have been a nonsense really. There is also an outside possibility that the Tesco / B&Q lights will be easier to turn at with most A9 traffic missing that bit of road.

St. Johnstone Interchange
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: St. Johnstone Interchange :

St. Johnstone Interchange is the connection between the A85 and A9 Perth Bypass to the west of the city. Both are busy routes, the A9 carrying almost all of the traffic heading north to the North Highlands, Inverness and Moray from the central belt, whilst the A85 connects Perth with the West Highlands, via Strathearn. It is therefore a Grade Separated Junction, with the dual carriageway A9 passing under the A85. The junction was originally built when the

... Read More
Bertiebus

Post by Bertiebus »

rileyrob wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 08:41
Bertiebus wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 23:20 Let me get this right... eastbound on the A85 you now have to go past the roundabout for the old southbound A9 access to the new signalled T junction and turn left there to access the southbound A90. Correct?
At present, yes. However, once the new bridge over the A9 is open, you could turn left before the A9, and go up to the new junction at that point.
Gotcha, thank you. That would be better for me, rather than having to plough past Tesco/B&Q and the football ground. I'm heading east from there and it's always been a toss-up whether to miss town, go down to Friarton and up the A90 or endure town and go via Coupar Anxious. By the time I've got to the new T-junction by the crematorium, I think I might as well carry on, go via the A94 and hope that the lorry/tractor count is fairly low. If I can turn left by Dobbies and access the A9 southbound that way, it makes the decision viable again. Psychologically at least :)
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

rileyrob wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 08:41 St. Johnstone Interchange
Is that a "Bob name", like such classics as "Asda Roundabout"?
I've only ever heard it referred to as Crieff Road Junction.

From the SABRE Wiki: St. Johnstone Interchange :

St. Johnstone Interchange is the connection between the A85 and A9 Perth Bypass to the west of the city. Both are busy routes, the A9 carrying almost all of the traffic heading north to the North Highlands, Inverness and Moray from the central belt, whilst the A85 connects Perth with the West Highlands, via Strathearn. It is therefore a Grade Separated Junction, with the dual carriageway A9 passing under the A85. The junction was originally built when the

... Read More
rachandsarai

Post by rachandsarai »

Glen wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 22:18 The beams for the new overbridge at the A85 junction were lifted in place over the A9 on Monday and Tuesday nights this week.

https://twitter.com/PTFutures1/status/8 ... 4902569984
https://twitter.com/PTFutures1/status/8 ... 7947833344
https://twitter.com/PTFutures1/status/8 ... 6456222720
Where about is the A85 Glen? And I never knew there was an overbridge at the junction. Is it near the A9?
Rachel Harper, A Scottish Vehicle Spotter and Road enthusiast in Scotland.