Escape Lanes

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

poshbakerloo

Re: Escape Lanes

Post by poshbakerloo »

There was one on the A6 after the Taddington Bypass, the sign is there but I can't find it lol.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Back in the days when this was the A48, the driveway with the big gates used to be a giant sand pit intended to serve as an escape lane. I never saw it in use though, and with those gates there you wouldn't want to use it now!
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

The Exmoor Roller-Coaster, the A39 up Porlock and down Countisbury into Lynmouth, has a number. As kids we always paid close attention when passing to see any evidence of a runaway. Never saw it, I presume if a vehicle gets into there part of the recovery includes raking it all over again.

I always felt offside ones on left-hand bends looked decidedly dicey, compared to nearside ones.
Berk

Post by Berk »

WHBM wrote:I always felt offside ones on left-hand bends looked decidedly dicey, compared to nearside ones.
Why was that?? Was there less room??
Sam

Post by Sam »

There's another a few miles from Whickham, on the B6309 Ebchester Hill : https://goo.gl/maps/481U3GgPo3L2

Also very long - take the Google walk back up the hill!
punyXpress

Post by punyXpress »

Berk wrote:
WHBM wrote:I always felt offside ones on left-hand bends looked decidedly dicey, compared to nearside ones.
Why was that?? Was there less room??
Wouldn't you have to go across the uphill lane to get there?
Not very welcoming when you've run out of brakes and ideas!
The Devil's Armpit

Post by The Devil's Armpit »

Does the job like the textbook says

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsiSbe7b91U
GrahameCase

Post by GrahameCase »

poshbakerloo wrote:There was one on the A6 after the Taddington Bypass, the sign is there but I can't find it lol.

I got it - - a bit over grown Google Maps
——
Roads Geek primarily focused on Scotland
/ owner of a 7 year old laptop that doubles as a top spec gaming pc
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

RichardB wrote:The two on the A9 at Berriedale and Dunbeath aren't much longer than a lorry but I'm reliably informed that they will stop a runaway lorry pretty much in its own length- but getting it out again is a challenge. Apparently somebody didn't use the Berriedale one recently and was killed when his lorry went through the barrier.
Delayed the Indy Ref ballot boxes
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-35767834

Which makes me think; a Sheriff has declared that piece of road inherently dangerous, then that's usable in other cases?
Possibly why the plans to change the braes suddenly got a boost (just like when a sheriff declared Junior doctors shift patterns as unsafe following a fatal RTA, all board were forced to change shift patterns) and also why only state organizations can clamp cars in Scotland.
poshbakerloo

Post by poshbakerloo »

GrahameCase wrote:
poshbakerloo wrote:There was one on the A6 after the Taddington Bypass, the sign is there but I can't find it lol.

I got it - - a bit over grown Google Maps
I can see the track with a gate lol, but further down I can't see any sign of it! Other than the sign in that streetview image.
GrahameCase

Post by GrahameCase »

It’s the verge - covered with weeds but it’s full of sand
——
Roads Geek primarily focused on Scotland
/ owner of a 7 year old laptop that doubles as a top spec gaming pc
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

Going back to the 1990’s I remember a Dutch couple in a motorhome mistook the escape lane at the bottom of Blue Bank (A169 Sleights near Whitby) for a lay-by.

They got a table and chairs out and were sat having lunch, wondering why passing motorists were glaring at them, when they realised their beloved motorhome had sunk into the gravel.

Eventually Blue Bank had to be shut for well over an hour whilst the motorhome was extricated from the Escape Lane.

I did once see a rigid HGV in the same escape lane with its rear brakes ablaze, so it does get used for 'genuine' reasons as well.
fras

Post by fras »

On the railways these are called "sand drags" and are placed where a runaway train or wagons could cause a really serious accident rather than just going over the side into a field. The classic one is on the approach to the last flat crossing on the British network at Newark where the Nottingham-Lincoln line crosses the East Coast Main Line. It is in the form of a very long siding and the rails disappear into the sand for many hundreds of yards.

As for a highway escape lane, as I remember there is one on the A52 near Froghall. With the local quarries there are quite a few heavily laden tippers running along this road.
vlad

Post by vlad »

fras wrote:As for a highway escape lane, as I remember there is one on the A52 near Froghall. With the local quarries there are quite a few heavily laden tippers running along this road.
It's here. Skip forward a couple of clicks and you'll see a blue sign telling you it's not a lay-by. One for the obvious signs thread, perhaps?
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Martin2

Post by Martin2 »

In answer to the original question, yes, I've seen a vehicle go into an escape lane. Going to the Phoenix festival in late 90s, I was travelling in the rear vehicle of a convoy of 2. The front camper must have thought they took a wrong turn and did a u-turn that took in a gravel escape in its radius. They did it over a gravel trap that was more akin to a racetrack trap, that is, not a defined lane but extra space on the outside of the curve, long and wide. The camper sunk up to its axle. Thankfully a bypass was being built at the time so we slipped a nearby tractor some money to tow the camper out. I think it was the Wyre Piddle bypass under construction but I cannot identify on maps where it was, I'm guessing it was on the A44 but I'm not sure.
fras

Post by fras »

vlad wrote:
fras wrote:As for a highway escape lane, as I remember there is one on the A52 near Froghall. With the local quarries there are quite a few heavily laden tippers running along this road.
It's here. Skip forward a couple of clicks and you'll see a blue sign telling you it's not a lay-by. One for the obvious signs thread, perhaps?
Thanks, yes you're spot on. I suppose if the gravel drag does't stop you the trees will !
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

I suspect that as those with competence with gears become a diminishing proportion of the population, such events will increase.

I am well used to coming down both Porlock and Countisbury pretty much without brakes, just on the gearbox, still not exceeding 5,000rpm in so doing. Porlock typically needs a couple of quick stabs on the brake before each bend, Countisbury I can get down entirely if just me in the car, with a couple of passengers it needs, again, a quick stab before the steepest bit at the bottom.

By the way, I have an automatic.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Martin2 wrote:In answer to the original question, yes, I've seen a vehicle go into an escape lane. Going to the Phoenix festival in late 90s, I was travelling in the rear vehicle of a convoy of 2. The front camper must have thought they took a wrong turn and did a u-turn that took in a gravel escape in its radius. They did it over a gravel trap that was more akin to a racetrack trap, that is, not a defined lane but extra space on the outside of the curve, long and wide. The camper sunk up to its axle. Thankfully a bypass was being built at the time so we slipped a nearby tractor some money to tow the camper out. I think it was the Wyre Piddle bypass under construction but I cannot identify on maps where it was, I'm guessing it was on the A44 but I'm not sure.

Was it this one on Fish Hill?

That's a fantastic piece of road!
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
XC70

Post by XC70 »

WHBM wrote:I suspect that as those with competence with gears become a diminishing proportion of the population, such events will increase.

I am well used to coming down both Porlock and Countisbury pretty much without brakes, just on the gearbox, still not exceeding 5,000rpm in so doing. Porlock typically needs a couple of quick stabs on the brake before each bend, Countisbury I can get down entirely if just me in the car, with a couple of passengers it needs, again, a quick stab before the steepest bit at the bottom.

By the way, I have an automatic.
Gears for Go, Brakes for Slow has been what is taught for at least 25 years now....
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Last edited by WHBM on Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:26, edited 1 time in total.