botched road markings

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

M4Simon
Elected Committee Member

Re: botched road markings

Post by M4Simon »

This in Hertford: https://goo.gl/maps/m5S7JevgVik

It's a two-way street.

Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

A tweet from CBRD caused me to look at Birchley Island, which has a very disconcerting entrance, where the problem is the complete lack of markings.

What it wants you to do is very clear, but keeping to the right of the traffic island is not instinctive, and a few painted arrows or lines would be nice.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Johnathan404 wrote:A tweet from CBRD caused me to look at Birchley Island, which has a very disconcerting entrance, where the problem is the complete lack of markings.

What it wants you to do is very clear, but keeping to the right of the traffic island is not instinctive, and a few painted arrows or lines would be nice.
Turn 180 degrees. This isn't exactly a public entrance to the roundabout.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Truvelo wrote:This is how it should be done.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.38304 ... 312!8i6656

For a moment there, I thought I was in southern Italy. :D
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
trencheel303
Account deactivated at user request

Post by trencheel303 »

I've whinged about it before and I'm going to again - this sodding roundabout: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.54297 ... 6656?hl=en

Lanes are signed correctly as you'd expect for a 2 laner. But when you get on you realise that in order to "enter" the roundabout, you actually have to cross into the lane that technically, if you're obeying the road paint, was right lane approach.

What actually ends up happening (because no-one in their right mind thinks that anything but 1st exit requires right lane) is huge queues develop at peak times because it's very hard to get on. When you do get on, to take 2nd people just cut in here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.54296 ... 6656?hl=en

No-one's bothered about it except for the dire congestion but the design of this roundabout is pants. It's like it all the way round and the tailbacks are so large they lead back onto the left lane of the A666 at peak time :roll:

The solution is simple: either paint it like a roundabout should be or don't make the left lane arrows fecking left AND straight ahead when the "straight ahead" route involves cutting into a lane!
Achmelvic

Post by Achmelvic »

One that I think may have been mentioned before but annoys me every time I use it is on the A62 as it goes under the M62/M621 albeit I'm not sure if it's a botched sign or a botched road marking? The sign here] says to get into the left hand lane for the M621 to Leeds & A650 to Wakefield & Morley however if you follow the lane markings up to where it widens to three lanes here it implication is traffic for those two destinations should have been in the right hand lane as that's the one which opens out! I've seen plenty of last minute lane changes here and horns blown as for want of a small bit of paint...
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Reading wrote:Not sure if this counts https://goo.gl/maps/Axy61BbJuN72 surely a vehicle can move right over the dotted line where the lorry is into the space in front of the stop line for the light (many cycles do and th eodd lost car) - shouldn't it be solid White lines up to the island ?

And here is another contra flow cycle gate (or not) - leads them into a road that is not 1 way but might as well be with no room or markings for 2 lanes after a few meters and with all cars facing towards you https://goo.gl/maps/soB6V3sABmK2 plus if it is an "in" cycle gate why the "give way" lines and sign ? So is it fact a 2 way in one lane cycle gate ?
The first one the mistake isn't there but if you are in the bus/cycle lane coming out of town there isn't a break in the sold white line for you to cross over the Wokingham Road bus lane. I cycle that regularly to and from work and the area in front is good , but an advanced cycle box would be advantageous.

The second one , I cant believe I haven't seen that as I cycle past that three times a week, for probably 9 of the last 10 years
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Reading

Post by Reading »

checked just now and there is definitely a gap to allow you to cross from the left outbound A4 lane into the right A329 lane in front of the stop line. The reason you can get from outbound bus/cycle/MOTORCYCLE kings rd to wokingham rd via the keep clear is because I asked for it in the original consultation period at the end of the trail traffic order, since then they have moved the end of the traffic island back (look at historical streetview) That is a dotted centre line/s not a solid line. Tried to report the Wykeham rd one to RBC and they see no issue with it
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Arrows should be in the overtaking lane, surely? Not between the lines, in this context.
20170624_182227_resized.jpg

Viva la Repubblica!
ais523

Post by ais523 »

Assuming that's a dual carriageway, it's wrong. Curved arrows between the lines mean "get back to your own side of this single carriageway road", typically because you're about to enter an area where overtaking is dangerous.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

ais523 wrote:Assuming that's a dual carriageway, it's wrong. Curved arrows between the lines mean "get back to your own side of this single carriageway road", typically because you're about to enter an area where overtaking is dangerous.
It's a slip road, but still wrong for the reason you describe.

Viva la Repubblica!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Owain wrote:
ais523 wrote:Assuming that's a dual carriageway, it's wrong. Curved arrows between the lines mean "get back to your own side of this single carriageway road", typically because you're about to enter an area where overtaking is dangerous.
It's a slip road, but still wrong for the reason you describe.
It seems to be a Yorkshire special that as I've got a hazy memory that I've seen it in other places.

One could ask what the point of the two lane on slip there is as there's heck all merging space before the tunnel.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

The BBC have got in on this treasure trove: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40520746
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Deleted: what he said.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Potential confusion here.

I can see what they've tried to do. The left-hand lane is straight on. The right-hand lane offers traffic the chance to turn soft right, or turn hard right, but I guess the arrows for the latter don't really exist so they've gone with straight on or right.

Either way, the right-hand lane does not offer the chance to drive straight on, no matter what the arrow suggests.

Viva la Repubblica!
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

A road near me has just been resurfaced, and I've been watching with interest to see what they do about the dodgy markings:

- for starters, check out the markings over this speed hump. I don't remember seeing anything like that central line in The Highway Code.

- the side markings are weird too. Clearly the authorities don't want parents to park their cars all over the place during school drop-off and pick-up times. But why not put the yellow zig-zags down both sides of the road? Or replace the 'Keep Clear' white line with a single or double yellow?

The newly re-surfaced road has been painted exactly the same as these old images from GSV.

Viva la Repubblica!
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

Achmelvic wrote:One that I think may have been mentioned before but annoys me every time I use it is on the A62 as it goes under the M62/M621 albeit I'm not sure if it's a botched sign or a botched road marking? The sign here] says to get into the left hand lane for the M621 to Leeds & A650 to Wakefield & Morley however if you follow the lane markings up to where it widens to three lanes here it implication is traffic for those two destinations should have been in the right hand lane as that's the one which opens out! I've seen plenty of last minute lane changes here and horns blown as for want of a small bit of paint...
That's incorrect signage. The junction was rebuilt within the last 10 years: both roundabouts were signalised and the northern roundabout was 'hamburgerised', allowing through traffic on the A62 to bypass it. The first sign would have been correct before the rebuild, but now the layout has changed it's no longer accurate.
alice

Post by alice »

I'm not sure that's where the apostrophe goes...
https://goo.gl/maps/rcm5MjDBPcn