botched road markings

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

bradán

botched road markings

Post by bradán »

now that we've had a botched signs and junctions thread lets have one for road markings
MotorwayGuy

Re: botched road markings

Post by MotorwayGuy »

Good old Eastern Way is usually a good place to start!
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

The Portwood Roundabout M60 J27 can be tricky to use even with gantries repeating the painted on markings, if traffic is heavy & you are behind a tall vehicle, as I found out having to use it to go a direction I couldn't go before due to roadworks.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Pendlemac

Post by Pendlemac »

Beardy5632 wrote:The A49 in Much Birch.
Go here and you will see exactly why the person from the council said they were unfinished!

( Link is Streetview image from location of photo showing markings in place in August 2015, before the road was resurfaced. )
Richard_Fairhurst

Post by Richard_Fairhurst »

Worcester. "The markings say this is a bike lane, the sign says it's a one-way street, so I'll just ride up here... *blam*"
Help map the world: openstreetmap.org
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Richard_Fairhurst wrote:Worcester. "The markings say this is a bike lane, the sign says it's a one-way street, so I'll just ride up here... *blam*"
That's correct though, as it's showing a contraflow cycle/bus lane. The sign (presuming you mean the one attached to the signal head) means "ahead only", not "one way street".

I'd be more worried at the signal head showing red and green together :lol:
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
drm567

Post by drm567 »

StormA420 wrote:[
That's correct though, as it's showing a contraflow cycle/bus lane. The sign (presuming you mean the one attached to the signal head) means "ahead only", not "one way street".
But isn't the bus lane road marking upside down then?
David
Pendlemac

Post by Pendlemac »

drm567 wrote:
David
The marking is there to discourage cars from going the wrong way up it. It's probably needed as some of those cars have been using the right-hand lane on the one of the streets leading to those lights.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Not entirely sure if this is a botch or a good attempt at a fix but... Traffic light controlled T junction with left and right turn lanes out of the minor road, junction is rebuilt with a larger central island so there's no longer enough room to mark both lanes at the stop line so the powers that be have decided there's no longer 2 lanes. Thing is people are used to there being 2 lanes so they're still lining up 2 by 2 and then getting very claustrophobic as they get to the stop line and the narrower gap due to the wider pedestrian island, this has caused quite a lot of confusion (as the approach to the junction is more than wide enough). Awkward sods like me who are aware that it's no longer 2 lanes line up in the middle but that means fewer cars get through each green cycle. Today the council have now marked a cycle box at the stop line and a filter lane for it to the left, effectively narrowing the remaining space to 1 lane.

I'm not sure if it's a genius move to solve the mysterious disappearing 2nd lane or a bodge that could have been avoided if they'd not bothered to widen the pedestrian island in the first place, which is only a few inches wider than it was.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Derry has some weird roundabout markings, so it does.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Pendlemac wrote:
drm567 wrote:
David
The marking is there to discourage cars from going the wrong way up it. It's probably needed as some of those cars have been using the right-hand lane on the one of the streets leading to those lights.
Indeed. There's an example in Chapter 5 of the Traffic Signs Manual, Figure 17-2.
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
drm567

Post by drm567 »

StormA420 wrote:
Pendlemac wrote:
drm567 wrote: But isn't the bus lane road marking upside down then?
David
Indeed. There's an example in Chapter 5 of the Traffic Signs Manual, Figure 17-2.
Point taken, but as most cyclists won't have a knowledge or understanding of traffic signs I reckon there's a good chance that they will interpret the cycle road marking as an invitation to use that lane.
Richard_Fairhurst

Post by Richard_Fairhurst »

Yep, especially given that with- and contra- flow bike lanes on the opposite side of the road aren't uncommon (e.g. the original Tavistock Place layout). I don't think it's particularly clear that this isn't one of them.
Help map the world: openstreetmap.org
tom1977

Post by tom1977 »

I always like this one on the M40 southbound exit at Junction 15. Why bother using the free flow left turn lane to head for Coventry when you can wait at the traffic lights?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.26153 ... 312!8i6656
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

Point taken, but as most cyclists won't have a knowledge or understanding of traffic signs I reckon there's a good chance that they will interpret the cycle road marking as an invitation to use that lane.
As a layman with a mere 47 years driving experience that is just how I would have interpreted it. The signage is there for the public not for the traffic engineers.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I always got around that issue by putting an arrow with the text...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Reading

Post by Reading »

Not sure if this counts https://goo.gl/maps/Axy61BbJuN72 surely a vehicle can move right over the dotted line where the lorry is into the space in front of the stop line for the light (many cycles do and th eodd lost car) - shouldn't it be solid White lines up to the island ?

And here is another contra flow cycle gate (or not) - leads them into a road that is not 1 way but might as well be with no room or markings for 2 lanes after a few meters and with all cars facing towards you https://goo.gl/maps/soB6V3sABmK2 plus if it is an "in" cycle gate why the "give way" lines and sign ? So is it fact a 2 way in one lane cycle gate ?
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Is this the biggest Keep Clear area in the country?
20170612_234819_resized_1.jpg
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
ellandback

Post by ellandback »

As previously noted in the other thread.

I suppose technically this isn't wrong, as you would use this lane for the A653, if you wanted to go all the way up to M621 j1, turn off and then right at the roundabout and down the ring road for a few miles until you get to it ... but pretty sure it was meant to say A650.