botched road markings

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Post Reply
User avatar
Bryn666
Member
Posts: 30121
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2002 20:54

Re: botched road markings

Post by Bryn666 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 08:19

Johnathan404 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 23:34
The A303 has one lane, with one lane appearing announced on the left, and a warning that the lane on the right is closing, but actually it stays as two lanes.
The kicker arrow relates to the double white line but has been put in the wrong location - TSM 5 shows how it should be done, with said arrow pushed right against the hatch markings.
Bryn
Traffic/Road Safety Dogsbody and General Grumpy Now-a-Thirtysomething Man
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/

User avatar
ratcliffe
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 19:41
Location: Leicester, just off A563

Re: botched road markings

Post by ratcliffe » Wed Apr 22, 2020 23:20

One of my local favourite botches is M6 J2 where you come off to join the M69, or if you look at the markings on the road itself, the M60 backwards P....
Derek Marshall, Leicester

User avatar
Johnathan404
Member
Posts: 11478
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 16:54
Contact:

Re: botched road markings

Post by Johnathan404 » Sat May 09, 2020 16:05

This is a very unfortunate arrow placement - one metre further along and it would have been fine!
IMG_7918.jpg
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham

TS
Member
Posts: 476
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 17:18
Location: Bournemouth

Re: botched road markings

Post by TS » Tue May 12, 2020 21:39

I can't believe this is a safe use of LOOK RIGHT for pedestrians, painted in the gutter. It's the very busy junction of Sopers Lane and St. Margaret's Avenue in Christchurch.

You do indeed have to look right, but you would be well advised to look left as well, because it's a two-way street!

https://goo.gl/maps/BDPgMxAiJWntx5V46

User avatar
Truvelo
Member
Posts: 16342
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 21:10
Location: Staffordshire
Contact:

Re: botched road markings

Post by Truvelo » Tue May 12, 2020 23:45

Johnathan404 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 16:05
This is a very unfortunate arrow placement - one metre further along and it would have been fine!
Is that the railway bridge in the distance which disappears into a building?
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.

User avatar
Johnathan404
Member
Posts: 11478
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 16:54
Contact:

Re: botched road markings

Post by Johnathan404 » Wed May 13, 2020 09:04

Truvelo wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 23:45
Is that the railway bridge in the distance which disappears into a building?
Sadly they are separate bridges, and I am equally disappointed.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham

User avatar
Johnathan404
Member
Posts: 11478
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 16:54
Contact:

Re: botched road markings

Post by Johnathan404 » Tue May 26, 2020 22:31

Mercer Street

It's a bit silly having no left turn arrow when there are two turnings on the left. But it is dangerous having both lanes go straight ahead when the road isn't wide enough.

It's not entirely clear if the crossing streams get a green light at the same time, but even if they don't, a right-turning driver is still going to be reluctant to move to the wrong right side of the road.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham

User avatar
FleetlinePhil
Member
Posts: 1245
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:26
Location: Calder Valley

Re: botched road markings

Post by FleetlinePhil » Wed May 27, 2020 13:32

Johnathan404 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 09:04
Truvelo wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 23:45
Is that the railway bridge in the distance which disappears into a building?
Sadly they are separate bridges, and I am equally disappointed.
But the railway bridge does indeed disappear straight into a building (Dublin Pearse station), which I think was the point Truvelo was making. I can think of many stations on the British network that bridge a road close to the platform ends, but I can't immediately think of any that do it so spectacularly as the Dublin example, with which I am far from disappointed :shock: .

TS
Member
Posts: 476
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 17:18
Location: Bournemouth

Re: botched road markings

Post by TS » Tue Jul 28, 2020 08:56

The hapless motorist here
https://goo.gl/maps/X86r2x8vuzyBZeuh8
would consider these markings as botched, if he was heading to Wimborne and positioned himself in the middle lane, as invited.

Follow the lane onto the roundabout, and you will find that the left lane becomes solely for the A35 Upton Road, and only the right lane actually ends up heading for Wimborne.

TS
Member
Posts: 476
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 17:18
Location: Bournemouth

Re: botched road markings

Post by TS » Tue Jul 28, 2020 09:01

What do we think of THESE cycle markings, on the northward approach to Cemetery Junction.
https://goo.gl/maps/wCgACtYCM958JWfHA

This one, and the one right at the approach to the lights, are alongside the left-turn arrow. What do they even mean?

I guess it's saying that it is a cycle lane for straight on, as well as a left-turn lane for motorists?

I invite you to move forward, almost to the stop line, and tell me if it is in any way helpful.

jervi
Member
Posts: 995
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 16:29
Location: Haywards Heath

Re: botched road markings

Post by jervi » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:14

TS wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 09:01
What do we think of THESE cycle markings, on the northward approach to Cemetery Junction.
https://goo.gl/maps/wCgACtYCM958JWfHA

This one, and the one right at the approach to the lights, are alongside the left-turn arrow. What do they even mean?

I guess it's saying that it is a cycle lane for straight on, as well as a left-turn lane for motorists?

I invite you to move forward, almost to the stop line, and tell me if it is in any way helpful.
That is very badly done.
I wouldn't go ahead from the left lane.
I presume that they have put cycle markings in the left lane since there is a cycle lane leading up to the junction, and is basically saying to the cyclist to take the lane, although this isn't needed since its common sense.
In its current form it is just confusing, however if there was an ASL (Advance Stop Line), I'd just about say it's okay. Infact, there really really ought to be an ASL, taking a right turn as a cyclist would be near impossible in any sort of constant heavy traffic.

welly_j
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2020 00:32

Re: botched road markings

Post by welly_j » Wed Jul 29, 2020 00:54

Not sure if it's been mentioned before - this one is a botched road marking on a new stretch of road that was obviously noticed before the road opened and corrected, but not without leaving tell tales . It's on the A555 as it meets the A6 at Hazel Grove at a t-junction.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.36935 ... 312!8i6656

The burnt out incorrect straight ahead arrows are more clearly seen on the road, than from streetview.

This one is a little further back from the junction https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.36943 ... 312!8i6656

jervi
Member
Posts: 995
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 16:29
Location: Haywards Heath

Re: botched road markings

Post by jervi » Wed Jul 29, 2020 13:26

welly_j wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 00:54
Not sure if it's been mentioned before - this one is a botched road marking on a new stretch of road that was obviously noticed before the road opened and corrected, but not without leaving tell tales . It's on the A555 as it meets the A6 at Hazel Grove at a t-junction.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.36935 ... 312!8i6656

The burnt out incorrect straight ahead arrows are more clearly seen on the road, than from streetview.

This one is a little further back from the junction https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.36943 ... 312!8i6656
If before the t-junction was complete, if it operated as a roundabout the road markings would be correct.

User avatar
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin
Posts: 9543
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:01

Re: botched road markings

Post by c2R » Thu Aug 13, 2020 22:17

Roundabout road markings painted with glaring error leaves drivers baffled

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/r ... g-22517045

Good effort Ringway in Berkhamsted - not managing to notice that the mini roundabout arrows were painted the wrong way around....
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is availabile in the Digest forum.

welly_j
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2020 00:32

Re: botched road markings

Post by welly_j » Mon Aug 31, 2020 22:59

jervi wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 13:26
welly_j wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 00:54
Not sure if it's been mentioned before - this one is a botched road marking on a new stretch of road that was obviously noticed before the road opened and corrected, but not without leaving tell tales . It's on the A555 as it meets the A6 at Hazel Grove at a t-junction.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.36935 ... 312!8i6656

The burnt out incorrect straight ahead arrows are more clearly seen on the road, than from streetview.

This one is a little further back from the junction https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.36943 ... 312!8i6656
If before the t-junction was complete, if it operated as a roundabout the road markings would be correct.
No - it opened as a T-junction in late 2018 ( October I believe.)

User avatar
Owain
Committee Member
Posts: 20867
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 17:02
Location: Leodis

Re: botched road markings

Post by Owain » Thu Sep 03, 2020 13:17

When you have a big lie circulating in society, you have a problem for democracy. - Professor Timothy Schnyder, Yale University.

User avatar
Bryn666
Member
Posts: 30121
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2002 20:54

Re: botched road markings

Post by Bryn666 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 13:22

Northern Ireland pretty much can do as it wants having its own TSRGD and own authorisation process.

Whether or not those were followed of course...
Bryn
Traffic/Road Safety Dogsbody and General Grumpy Now-a-Thirtysomething Man
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/

TS
Member
Posts: 476
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 17:18
Location: Bournemouth

Re: botched road markings

Post by TS » Sun Sep 13, 2020 21:49

How about this for a two-in-one?! A mightily confusing STOP at the stop line of traffic lights, and give way markings at another!

I myself was confused by the give way markings as I exited the shops' service road, ahead. I wondered how I was going to manoeuvre to the stop line of the lights just in front of us, before I noticed that I too was governed by a separate traffic light.

I can also imagine someone arriving here, seeing STOP, assuming it was stop-sign regulations and not then see the traffic light.
20200913_141424.jpg
It's at the road down to Blackwater Station off the A30.

TS
Member
Posts: 476
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 17:18
Location: Bournemouth

Re: botched road markings

Post by TS » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:20

I'm not sure if this is exactly botched, but what could be the reason for this short stretch of double yellow lines? They are unsignposted.

I mean, they do cover a driveway (and a few feet to one side of it) but it doesn't seem particularly different from any of the other driveways hereabouts.

Any thoughts?

https://goo.gl/maps/CXdaCNnvJWtKFkud7

User avatar
Chris Bertram
Deputy Site Manager
Posts: 12664
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2001 12:30
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: botched road markings

Post by Chris Bertram » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:29

TS wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:20
I'm not sure if this is exactly botched, but what could be the reason for this short stretch of double yellow lines? They are unsignposted.

I mean, they do cover a driveway (and a few feet to one side of it) but it doesn't seem particularly different from any of the other driveways hereabouts.

Any thoughts?

https://goo.gl/maps/CXdaCNnvJWtKFkud7
A councillor lives there?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Post Reply