A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Glen
Social Media Admin

A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

Post by Glen »

The draft orders for the A96 Inverness to Nairn (including Nairn bypass) scheme have been published today.

http://www.transport.gov.scot/project/a ... irn-bypass
See Environmental Statement - Non-Technical Summary for the full plans.

There have been a few alterations to the junction designs from the preferred option:
Smithton will be a plain dumbbell, there was a suggestion that the westbound onslip would be looped to increase the distance the merge would be from the roundabout, but at the last exhibitions they said that there shouldn't be a weaving problem.
Balloch is still a plain dumbbell, but looks to be a slightly reduced in overall width.
Mid Coul (for the airport) is still a dumbbell, but the w/b onslip is now looped.
Brackley has lost the roundabouts, it'll be the least used junction, anyway.
Nairn West now has roundabouts on both sides with straight w/b slips.
Nairn east is a plain dumbbell, but the connection to the B9111 into Auldern is a bit strange, it goes under the sliproads and mainline to use the existing junction, rather than connecting to the eastern roundabout of the new junction.

The new carriageway between Brackley and Delnies is now slightly off-line, which should make construction less disruptive, particularly at the railway crossing, although the existing road at that point will still be stopped up and the bridge removed.
orudge
Site Manager

Re: A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

Post by orudge »

Looks good, should be a very high quality road when it's built. Relative to the size of the places they're serving, the junctions look pretty decent. Hopefully there won't be any objections to the plans!
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Auldearn will be getting a second bypass :)
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Previous discussion of this project is in this thread.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

All looks really good, high quality road. Shouldn't be too disruptive to build either with a mainly off line alignment.

Only concern is that at the end of the road you end up at Seafield roundabout fighting with all the retail park traffic. I know it was outwith the scope of this scheme but can't help thinking it will be a bottleneck after completion.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

There is a separate project, A9/A96 Inshes to Smithton (based on the A9/A96 Connections Study) to build a single carriageway road basically cutting the corner between the A9 and the A96, avoiding the retail park.

One of the original options was basically for a direct dual carriageway link between the two roads, but that was discontinued due to expense, amongst other things. It looks like all of the options on the table now will involve navigating through a couple of roundabouts, but hopefully you'll be able to get through them quicker, if you were heading south from the A96 (or east from the A9), than through the current roundabouts.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

orudge wrote:There is a separate project, A9/A96 Inshes to Smithton (based on the A9/A96 Connections Study) to build a single carriageway road basically cutting the corner between the A9 and the A96, avoiding the retail park.

One of the original options was basically for a direct dual carriageway link between the two roads, but that was discontinued due to expense, amongst other things. It looks like all of the options on the table now will involve navigating through a couple of roundabouts, but hopefully you'll be able to get through them quicker, if you were heading south from the A96 (or east from the A9), than through the current roundabouts.
Yes indeed and there is good progress too on the Inverness West Link so a Moray - Loch Ness journey would not in future need to head through the city centre either which will be another boost for Seafield / Longman etc.

Can't complain too much about road investment around Inverness.
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Altnabreac wrote:Can't complain too much about road investment around Inverness.
Whilst I agree with that wholeheartedly, there are many around here who will just find all this another reason to moan about all the money going to (insert distant place here) and nothing being spent locally. I've even heard people in Caol and Corpach complaining about money being spent in Fort William, which just makes me laugh.

Whilst I am sure that there are parts of the country which could genuinely have this gripe, I feel that much of Lochaber already has a pretty good deal. We've had new bridges and resurfacing in Glen Coe, across Rannoch Moor and on the A830, investment in schools across the area, new police stations in Glencoe and Fort William, a new FW Fire Station and Surgery, New Council offices being built, and a New Hospital now in the pipeline. The High Street is tidied up so often you get the impression they enjoy polishing a ****.

Thing is that a lot of people are so blinkered that if these new facilities etc don't directly benefit them, then they either don't recognise it or consider it a waste of money.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
clc

Post by clc »

orudge wrote:There is a separate project, A9/A96 Inshes to Smithton (based on the A9/A96 Connections Study) to build a single carriageway road basically cutting the corner between the A9 and the A96, avoiding the retail park.

Is there an assumption that Nairn-Inverness will have been dualled by the time the Inshes scheme is built?  Inshes is a City Deal project which will give it some impetus and it should be delivered within 10 years. Hopefully Inverness-Nairn will be brought forward for early implementation.   
clc

Post by clc »

Altnabreac wrote:
Yes indeed and there is good progress too on the Inverness West Link so a Moray - Loch Ness journey would not in future need to head through the city centre either which will be another boost for Seafield / Longman etc.

Can't complain too much about road investment around Inverness.
There's also the planned flyover at Longman roundabout, funded by the City Deal.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

clc wrote:Is there an assumption that Nairn-Inverness will have been dualled by the time the Inshes scheme is built?
The plans show the scheme plugging into the first GSJ on the dualled road, so I presume the link road is intended to follow the dualling (or be built somewhat simultaneously if it progresses quickly enough).
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

orudge wrote:One of the original options was basically for a direct dual carriageway link between the two roads, but that was discontinued due to expense, amongst other things. It looks like all of the options on the table now will involve navigating through a couple of roundabouts, but hopefully you'll be able to get through them quicker, if you were heading south from the A96 (or east from the A9), than through the current roundabouts.
The Inshes to Smithton link is to serve local movements which currently use the A9/A96 via Raigmore. Most of the traffic on that part of the A96 is local and turns off at the retail park or Barn Church Road, so it is entirely appropriate for it to have local connections to the retail park.
Also note the scheme is being promoted by Transport Scotland as part of the City Region Deal, but it won't be a trunk road when completed.
clc wrote:Is there an assumption that Nairn-Inverness will have been dualled by the time the Inshes scheme is built? Inshes is a City Deal project which will give it some impetus and it should be delivered within 10 years. Hopefully Inverness-Nairn will be brought forward for early implementation.
Inshes to Smithton is at an earlier stage in the process, but depending on the progress of both schemes they could be built together, or it will be simple to leave a stub on the roundabout for it to connect to.
Highland Council's Inshes Junction phase 2 scheme is dependant on what design is chosen for Inshes to Smithton, so there is some encouragement to finalise the design so that can go ahead.

I think the government will want Inverness to Nairn to be under construction during this term of parliament, since it was an election promise.
FtoE

Post by FtoE »

rileyrob wrote:
Altnabreac wrote:Can't complain too much about road investment around Inverness.
Whilst I agree with that wholeheartedly, there are many around here who will just find all this another reason to moan about all the money going to (insert distant place here) and nothing being spent locally. I've even heard people in Caol and Corpach complaining about money being spent in Fort William, which just makes me laugh.

Whilst I am sure that there are parts of the country which could genuinely have this gripe, I feel that much of Lochaber already has a pretty good deal. We've had new bridges and resurfacing in Glen Coe, across Rannoch Moor and on the A830, investment in schools across the area, new police stations in Glencoe and Fort William, a new FW Fire Station and Surgery, New Council offices being built, and a New Hospital now in the pipeline. The High Street is tidied up so often you get the impression they enjoy polishing a ****.

Thing is that a lot of people are so blinkered that if these new facilities etc don't directly benefit them, then they either don't recognise it or consider it a waste of money.
The money being spent on new bridges in Glencoe was because the old ones weren't fit for new heavier lorries, no?
Resurfacing is just maintainance. The road is still so narrow over Rannoch that overtaking a coach or lorry at speed needs nerves of steel - and the vehicle you're overtaking to keep hard left.
And while this is going rather OT new schools have been built all over the Highlands. What might be interesting to note is the number of primary schools in the Fort William area is reducing the number in Inverness is increasing. New hospital - well, we'll see. But I wonder how much they'll get for selling the town-centre Belford, they've already made a killing on the site on the Blar.

Very OT, sorry, but not quite as clear-cut as it seems.
A9Craig

Post by A9Craig »

wrinkly wrote:Previous discussion of this project is in this thread.
Yes I was a bit puzzled as to why the OP chose to start a new A96 thread when they have already contributed to the existing A96 thread.

MODS - can you merge these threads please

The opening year is 2021 according to the documents. That looks about right if it's 2 years for Statutory Processes/Procurement and 2.5 years for Construction.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

FtoE wrote:What might be interesting to note is the number of primary schools in the Fort William area is reducing the number in Inverness is increasing.
What do the census results show is happening in Fort William and Inverness.
We know Inverness is growing rapidly, so it would hardly be a surprise if there was a large number of new schools needed.
Is Fort Bill like everywhere else in seeing a drop in infant and child population and therefore needs less schools?
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

FtoE wrote:
rileyrob wrote:

The money being spent on new bridges in Glencoe was because the old ones weren't fit for new heavier lorries, no?
Resurfacing is just maintainance. The road is still so narrow over Rannoch that overtaking a coach or lorry at speed needs nerves of steel - and the vehicle you're overtaking to keep hard left.
And while this is going rather OT new schools have been built all over the Highlands. What might be interesting to note is the number of primary schools in the Fort William area is reducing the number in Inverness is increasing. New hospital - well, we'll see. But I wonder how much they'll get for selling the town-centre Belford, they've already made a killing on the site on the Blar.

Very OT, sorry, but not quite as clear-cut as it seems.
I think you rather prove the point about moaning locals from Fort William.

Areas with an increasing population need more schools. That's how developer contributions work.
clc

Post by clc »

Glen wrote:.
Inshes to Smithton is at an earlier stage in the process, but depending on the progress of both schemes they could be built together, or it will be simple to leave a stub on the roundabout for it to connect to.
Highland Council's Inshes Junction phase 2 scheme is dependant on what design is chosen for Inshes to Smithton, so there is some encouragement to finalise the design so that can go ahead.

I think the government will want Inverness to Nairn to be under construction during this term of parliament, since it was an election promise.
The manifesto commitment was " £1.4 billion in improvements to the road network – including work on dualling the A9 and A96...". 

Not sure if "work" in the context of the A96 means construction or simply design and statutory stuff. Time will tell.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

A9Craig wrote:Yes I was a bit puzzled as to why the OP chose to start a new A96 thread when they have already contributed to the existing A96 thread.

MODS - can you merge these threads please
Because that is a rather rambling thread with a silly title. This a thread to discuss a specific scheme which is going through the statutory process.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

clc wrote:The manifesto commitment was " £1.4 billion in improvements to the road network – including work on dualling the A9 and A96...". 

Not sure if "work" in the context of the A96 means construction or simply design and statutory stuff. Time will tell.
But the public don't really care about the behind the scenes process, they just want to see a new road they can drive on, or at least see it getting built.
As far as the electorate are concerned, they were promised a dual carriageway and they won't see that promise delivered until construction is under way.

If the construction hasn't started by the 2021 election then the opposition parties will make political capital of that. Until last year the Lib Dems were pointing out that nothing on the A9 that hadn't been designed under the previous government had been built under the SNP.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

Glen wrote:
clc wrote:The manifesto commitment was " £1.4 billion in improvements to the road network – including work on dualling the A9 and A96...". 

But the public don't really care about the behind the scenes process, they just want to see a new road they can drive on, or at least see it getting built.
As far as the electorate are concerned, they were promised a dual carriageway and they won't see that promise delivered until construction is under way.

If the construction hasn't started by the 2021 election then the opposition parties will make political capital of that. Until last year the Lib Dems were pointing out that nothing on the A9 that hadn't been designed under the previous government had been built under the SNP.
This is very true and somewhat unfortunate.

It encourages incoming politicians to cancel existing schemes and then announce them again slightly differently.

Attacking politicians for continuing to build existing schemes really annoys me.