Essex County Council release proposals for A 120 expansion

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Andrew_S_Hatton

Essex County Council release proposals for A 120 expansion

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

http://a120essex.co.uk/

It seems as if Joe Public is being given too much choice the discussions seem likely to be never ending
JonB2028

Re: Essex County Council release proposals for A 120 expansion

Post by JonB2028 »

The note in the bottom left and the process map indicates to me that there likely will be a further reduction in options before consultation. It would be normal to consult on 3-4 or so options.

The previous consultation in 2005 I believe had accusations of the HA not giving any choice by presenting a preferred route and options rejected so maybe ECC are wary of this?
si404

Post by si404 »

Andrew_S_Hatton wrote:It seems as if Joe Public is being given too much choice the discussions seem likely to be never ending
Given this is a consultation on what the county council should lobby Highways England for, we're already one step removed...
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
jackal

Post by jackal »

The route proposed in 2005, and cancelled in 2009, was fine, aside from the eastern two-bridge roundabout, which I'd swap out for a fork.

The A12 Chelmsford to A120 Widening Scheme is scheduled to start by 2020, and will have significant implications for the A120 scheme.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The 2005 scheme would be open by now if it wasn't cancelled :@

Anyway, the best way from Braintree to Colchester is the unclassified road through Silver End and Rivenhall. Unfortunately it seems everyone else knows it too :@
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
JonB2028

Post by JonB2028 »

Truvelo wrote: Anyway, the best way from Braintree to Colchester is the unclassified road through Silver End and Rivenhall. Unfortunately it seems everyone else knows it too :@
The two southerly options then should do a good job of reducing such rat-running through these villages.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Those two blue lines look the only realistic route, but Galleys Corner (B1018 turn) needs to be bypassed. Trouble is, to the west of the roundabout is the bridge taking traffic towards Freeport and Braintree town centre, and the Rayne and A131 turns are just after that too.
JonB2028

Post by JonB2028 »

The consultation for this opened yesterday and runs to the 14th March.

http://www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co.u ... olchester/

Some more information is available on the scheme website, though not that much.
jackal

Post by jackal »

More detail than I was expecting, including costings (£m):

OPTION A OPTION B OPTION C OPTION D OPTION E
605 725 825 475 570
A120 options.jpg
http://a120essex.co.uk/wp-content/uploa ... 18_web.pdf
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

jackal wrote:More detail than I was expecting, including costings (£m):

OPTION A OPTION B OPTION C OPTION D OPTION E
605 725 825 475 570

A120 options.jpg
http://a120essex.co.uk/wp-content/uploa ... 18_web.pdf
...and it's only 15 years ago since Stansted to Braintree cost only £90M. Yes, it's a few years ago and there's been a bit of inflation, but what is the reason for a simple rural road to be estimated to cost so much?
jackal

Post by jackal »

The options are costed at £80m-£90m per mile, which is pretty much unprecedented for a D2.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Perhaps the sub-base will be made out of that asteroid NASA have discovered...

Option C is the tidiest alignment and avoids a cack section of the A12.

A looks like the designer tried drawing the alignment whilst swatting a wasp.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Bryn666 wrote:Option C is the tidiest alignment and avoids a cack section of the A12.
Yes, agreed - I'm guessing that going to/from the west to/from Colchester is going to be flow that gets the most useful benefit from the new section so all things being equal, joining the A12 more to the north/west seems to make most sense.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Option B is perfectly acceptable as well (but quite hard to see on the map!).

D and E are a longer way around, and rely on a longer multiplex with the A12, so may be a false economy.

The Chelmsford to A120 section of A12 is already being widened to D3 without the A120 multiplex. In an ideal world the A12 widening and A120 scheme would be coordinated, so the widening could be to D4 if the A120 multiplexes with it.

In reality, the schemes are not only in different road periods, but have different authorities developing them :roll:
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Bryn666 wrote:A looks like the designer tried drawing the alignment whilst swatting a wasp.
Option A incorporates most of the existing Coggeshall by-pass, and adds a by-pass of Bradwell to the north. Is there a good reason for that, rather than skirting it to the south?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

jackal wrote:Option B is perfectly acceptable as well (but quite hard to see on the map!).
Yes - difficult to see, but I agree the same argument applies.

The other thing that occurs to me is that options A, B and C hit the A12 at a rather uncompromising right-angle - does that point to something slightly rubbish junction-wise rather than an arrangement that has the two roads merging smoothly?

Or am I reading to much into a not too detailed map/plan?
jackal

Post by jackal »

roadtester wrote:
jackal wrote:Option B is perfectly acceptable as well (but quite hard to see on the map!).
Yes - difficult to see, but I agree the same argument applies.

The other thing that occurs to me is that options A, B and C hit the A12 at a rather uncompromising right-angle - does that point to something slightly rubbish junction-wise rather than an arrangement that has the two roads merging smoothly?

Or am I reading to much into a not too detailed map/plan?
That occurred to me as well. The 2005 plan had a two-bridge roundabout. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the consultation docs show a dumbbell at p. 47, where it's discussing the A12/A120 connection. I expect they will go for one of those two, when really it should be a freeflow fork or trumpet.
JonB2028

Post by JonB2028 »

Bryn666 wrote: A looks like the designer tried drawing the alignment whilst swatting a wasp.
With the Coggeshall bypass the existing A120 is a Dromedary camel, adding the bypass to Bradwell turns it in to a Bactrian one...
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

At least Essex County Council seem to be able to fund road improvements. The last major improvements in East and West Sussex, apart from the Bexhill to Hastings Link Road (sorry, no time to look the number up), the A22 Eastbourne Link, the A29 Billingshurst Bypass and a few developer-funded schemes, were over 20 years ago (the A23 from Handcross to Warninglid and A27 Polegate Bypass were Highways England schemes). The counties' cross-country links are in serious need of improvements.
JonB2028

Post by JonB2028 »

Chris Bertram wrote:
Bryn666 wrote:A looks like the designer tried drawing the alignment whilst swatting a wasp.
Option A incorporates most of the existing Coggeshall by-pass, and adds a by-pass of Bradwell to the north. Is there a good reason for that, rather than skirting it to the south?
The individual route plans in the brochure aren't that clear, but most of the hatching types are something environmentally sensitive, local wildlife sites on the River Blackwater nearer Bradwell and to the south of Bradwell? The River Blackwater is a sensitive area, probably why the 1980s bypass of Coggeshall went to the north as well.