Historic and interesting roads videos on Youtube

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

rhyds

Historic and interesting roads videos on Youtube

Post by rhyds »

I thought I'd start a thread for any historic or interesting roads videos you've spotted on Youtube recently.

First off, "Major Road Ahead" a film by John Laing covering the building of the M1 in 1958. Warning: Contains slicked back hair, cigarettes and horn rim glasses

Built for comfort, not speed.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Re: Historic and interesting roads videos on Youtube

Post by Bryn666 »

The entire Look at Life series is brilliant for this kind of thing.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Dadge

Post by Dadge »

Where is the fine new stretch of road at the beginning of this episode of "Crown Court"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJQev-EI4aE
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

Dadge wrote:Where is the fine new stretch of road at the beginning of this episode of "Crown Court"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJQev-EI4aE
A fairly safe assumption.
Derek

Post by Derek »

So those nice looking blocks of flats were the Hulme estate that included the wonderful crescents? The future as it was meant to have been before trouble in't utpoia

Derek
Free the A11
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

The Daimler pulls up outside the side entrance to Stockport Town Hall, just a couple of streets away from me.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

Some of the footage made available from the British Pathe is worth a look. A few I managed to fish out from YT:

Westway shortly after opening.

More Westway scenes.

The temporary terminus of the M1 at the current Junction 2. The steel columns have survived on the southbound slip, sadly not the concrete ones. :(

A few fleeting aerial shots of M1 Junction 5 being rebuilt to its current format in 1966, and Junction 6 in its original D2M form.

A while back I found a clip that included the original M1 Junction 7 as it was before the 1980s rebuild, perhaps someday I'll find that and put it here.
DeptForLameExcuses

Post by DeptForLameExcuses »

Some more.

The end of the motorway M1 (southern end of course, Northamptonshire was mostly too far from London - too much petrol for a start) in 1959. Shows both the three-lane and southern two-lane sections, In black and white, but good definition for the time. Maybe someone else can see things that I can't?

Extending the M1 in 1966, and in colour. 1966 would be at least north of Kegworth, so I think it is north Derbyshire. The colour helps. Someone must know?

So, now I need your help. Where is this? I think it is north of Doncaster somewhere, going north. Is that garage still there? My guess not. I may have got the place wrong. Go to about 4 seconds in, and you get a familiar view, where is it? Darrington? Don't be put off by the picture of the M1 Owen Williams concrete road bridge, it's not the M1 - too hilly and only two lanes. I'm interested in the first five seconds, not the shot of the M1. The thekinolibrary YouTube channel (based in East London apparently) had some 1990s footage of theirs featured in a BBC4 recent documentary on rave culture called 'Everybody in The Place: An Incomplete History of Britain 1984-1992', and it has a few more from the 1960s, and other bizarre and 'avant-garde' topics too. More tea vicar?
Give your heart and life gives you a receipt.
owen b

Post by owen b »

DeptForLameExcuses wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 13:33 So, now I need your help. Where is this? I think it is north of Doncaster somewhere, going north. Is that garage still there? My guess not. I may have got the place wrong. Go to about 4 seconds in, and you get a familiar view, where is it? Darrington? Don't be put off by the picture of the M1 Owen Williams concrete road bridge, it's not the M1 - too hilly and only two lanes. I'm interested in the first five seconds, not the shot of the M1. The thekinolibrary YouTube channel (based in East London apparently) had some 1990s footage of theirs featured in a BBC4 recent documentary on rave culture called 'Everybody in The Place: An Incomplete History of Britain 1984-1992', and it has a few more from the 1960s, and other bizarre and 'avant-garde' topics too. More tea vicar?
I could be wrong but at first glance it looks to me very like the A1 southbound at Skellow.
Owen
graeme_t

Post by graeme_t »

Just about here.

The dip in the road matches, the curve at the bottom matches, the dashed carriageway edge line matches, but the towers on the horizon don't (they may have been demolished), and the garage is no longer there.

The blue sign on the nearside verge looks like a roundabout sign (which of course Redhouse was before it was upgraded).
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Thats Ferrybridge power station so the garage must be somewhere near where Ferrybridge services now is. I don't ever remember a power station on the southbound at Red House. It looks slightly odd cos there weren't as many cooling towers there as there are now (well until last week anyway lol).
FBridge.png
Wolfie

FB me!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Lonewolf wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 08:14 Thats Ferrybridge power station so the garage must be somewhere near where Ferrybridge services now is. I don't ever remember a power station on the southbound at Red House. It looks slightly odd cos there weren't as many cooling towers there as there are now (well until last week anyway lol).

FBridge.png
It looks like old Selby Fork Services all that is left is the motel on what is now the A63. The view looks almost identical.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.76625 ... 6656?hl=en

There is actually a photo here on Sabre
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ima ... -_9173.jpg
graeme_t

Post by graeme_t »

After a bit of googling, those buildings could be Brodsworth Colliery and not cooling towers. The colliery closed in 1990 and the site has been cleared. Wiki locates it almost directly ahead of the southbound A1 at Skellow.

Unfortunately, I can't get any more detail on the sign on the nearside verge but it definitely looks like a blue-backed roundabout sign.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

There are four maps of the A1 at Skellow:

1961 National Grid 1:2500 shows it as single carriageway.
1964 National Grid 1:2500 and 1967 National Grid 1:10560 both show it as dual carriageway but with no footbridge and no northbound petrol station.
1971 National Grid 1:2500 shows it with a footbridge and northbound petrol station.

This leaves us with a window where this video could have been recorded.
My only concerns are:
- The crossroads is not apparent. This could be masked by the dip in the road, the foliage and the camera angle.
- I cannot see any of the buildings which stood to the west, though again they may be hidden by the foliage.
- The garage is not drawn as it appeared in the film, though this may be a mapping inaccuracy.

It is very unlikely to be Selby Fork because the GSJ is not in view, though this could be blurred in the picture. I do not recall it ever having a petrol station; it was only developed in the 1980s.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Thanks for these, it's given me a kick to actually put some of them as content onto the wiki.

These should appear at the bottom of relevant pages (I still need to review how the content actually displays as I don't think it's scaleable to lots of videos, but that's not really an issue right now).

It also adds them to this category: https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... ery_Videos

A couple of other good ones I found are:
* https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... d_(1970-9)
* https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... way_(1967)
* https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... ass_(1986)
* https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... oad_(1986)
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Johnathan404 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 17:22 It is very unlikely to be Selby Fork because the GSJ is not in view, though this could be blurred in the picture. I do not recall it ever having a petrol station; it was only developed in the 1980s.
While I am inclined to agree with you that it probably wasnt where the film was shot I know Selby Fork was definitely there in the 1970's as I used to use it regularly.
Moore_O
Account deactivated at user request

Post by Moore_O »

Huntingdon - the first few minutes focus on Hinchingbrooke class of 82 as they leave school - but then there's a trip around the Ring Road, back past Hunchingbrooke, and onwards, to the Brampton Hut. The cameraman was a pupil at Hinchingbrooke himself, if you were wondering! I recognise some of the people who are waving at him.

This one is about 15 years earlier - before the ring road was built (though the Castle Moat Road section seems to be there... ). Apparently shot by a member of the US Airforce while presumably serving at Alconbury.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Did anybody on here film anything in the early days of SABRE which can now be considered historic? Footage of the M1, M6 or M25 from 2003 would qualify for the large part.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Johnathan404 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:25 Did anybody on here film anything in the early days of SABRE which can now be considered historic? Footage of the M1, M6 or M25 from 2003 would qualify for the large part.
There are some really old videos on PM from that kind of era.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Johnathan404 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:25 Did anybody on here film anything in the early days of SABRE which can now be considered historic? Footage of the M1, M6 or M25 from 2003 would qualify for the large part.
If anyone has anything interesting, feel free to upload it to Youtube and we can link to it from the wiki.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps