New Sunderland Bridge

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Goldberg
Banned

New Sunderland Bridge

Post by Goldberg »

I was meaning to post about this one a long time ago, but the city of Sunderland is getting its first new bridge in over 40 years.

Currently under construction, the bridge is to carry a Dual Carriageway over the River Wear between Castletown (north bank) and Pallion (south bank). Once completed, it will have a total length of 336 meters.
The new road bridge will be a two span cable-stayed bridge with an A-frame pylon rising to 105m (344ft) that's taller than Big Ben, London.
It is also to have cycle ways along the full length.

The bridge currently seems to be taking shape, with completion expected for 2018.

Given the bridge's location, it should be very easily visible from the A19.

Since I've lived in Sunderland my whole life, I'd say this affects me in more way than one.

What do you think about this?
Chris Bertram

Re: New Sunderland Bridge

Post by Chris Bertram »

It certainly is a long way between the Queen Alexandra Bridge and the A19 Wear Viaduct. IIRC the QAB can get congested, so this will provide relief, and much better access for the western suburbs of Sunderland to the north bank of the river and beyond.

Do we know whether B1405 will be diverted over it?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Incidentally, for those not already in the know, the Queen Alexandra Bridge was formerly a double-decker affair, like the High Level Bridge in Newcastle, with the railway running above the road. Though the upper deck remains, it is disused, and there is no longer any connection to the railway network, with the last goods train running in 1921.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Chris Bertram wrote:It certainly is a long way between the Queen Alexandra Bridge and the A19 Wear Viaduct. IIRC the QAB can get congested, so this will provide relief, and much better access for the western suburbs of Sunderland to the north bank of the river and beyond.

I'd thought the A1231 was to be diverted over it?
Goldberg
Banned

Post by Goldberg »

Mark Hewitt wrote:I'd thought the A1231 was to be diverted over it?
Yes, I think Mark is right. That is what I heard.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Mark Hewitt wrote:
Chris Bertram wrote:It certainly is a long way between the Queen Alexandra Bridge and the A19 Wear Viaduct. IIRC the QAB can get congested, so this will provide relief, and much better access for the western suburbs of Sunderland to the north bank of the river and beyond.

I'd thought the A1231 was to be diverted over it?
I suppose that would make more sense. That would leave the QAB and the stub of A1231 on the north bank needing new numbers. My guess would be A1290 for the latter. Perhaps B1291 could be extended over the bridge.

Incidentally, has it ever been established for definite whether B1405 takes the inner or outer of the two lines indicated on different mapping systems? OS at 1:50 000 and 1:25 000 prefer the outer line (Toll Bar Rd - Leechmere Rd - Essen Way - Premer Rd - Springwell Rd - Holborn Road - Front Road - European Way). Others - including A-Z (I think) prefer the older inner route (Queen Alexandra Road - Barnes Park Road - Ormonde Street - Kayll Road - Pallion Road - Lukes Terrace), which passes the Sunderland Royal Hospital. The outer route is of the higher standard, and last time I looked included some NSL on Toll Bar Road, but also attracts the Talivans on the 30mph sections.

wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Don't forget it ties in with the Sunderland strategic transport corridor intended to improve links from the A19 to the town centre as well as Nissan.

A lot of the design work was being done from Blackburn I believe as they wanted me to get involved with the signs before I left.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Not to be confused with Sunderland Bridge a small village off the A167 near Durham.
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

The centrepiece for the new crossing arrived in from Belgium a few days ago. I was following the news closely…

I'm also lead to believe the A1231 will be diverted along this, although I don't know what plans are in place for the existing alignment. I'd imagine the A1290 will be extended westwards

I'm looking forward to seeing this completed. I'll also be interested to see what it does to traffic flow to the existing A1231 (Wessington Way) and the A1290 east of here...
Chris Bertram wrote:Incidentally, for those not already in the know, the Queen Alexandra Bridge was formerly a double-decker affair, like the High Level Bridge in Newcastle, with the railway running above the road. Though the upper deck remains, it is disused, and there is no longer any connection to the railway network, with the last goods train running in 1921.
Indeed. Not forgetting this surviving stub to the northern side of the bridge...
Goldberg wrote:Since I've lived in Sunderland my whole life, I'd say this affects me in more way than one.
My father's side of the family are from Sunderland. I have relatives in most areas of the city...!
The journey is never over until the arrival.
Goldberg
Banned

Post by Goldberg »

Looks like the A1231 is going to be closed next weekend. The closure is between Castletown Way and Northern Way, for works on drainage and the central reservation on the bridge.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

I'm more interested in what they are doing with the connecting roads especially those on the south side. Eg it's all well and good having cycle lanes but if they don't connect to anything on the other side there's little point.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Went through this junction and there's now a green back flag sign pointing towards the bridge. The text is painted out but I'm guessing it'll be A1231
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

The bridge seems reasonably near opening. Do we have a date? By Christmas?
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

There still seems quite a bit of work with the tie ins etc
Goldberg
Banned

Post by Goldberg »

This post was from a while ago.
wrinkly wrote:The bridge seems reasonably near opening. Do we have a date? By Christmas?
Not Christmas, no. But they are aiming at getting it done by May or June 2018.

The bridge does look near completion and I think its progressing well.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Goldberg wrote:This post was from a while ago.
wrinkly wrote:The bridge seems reasonably near opening. Do we have a date? By Christmas?
Not Christmas, no. But they are aiming at getting it done by May or June 2018.

The bridge does look near completion and I think its progressing well.
So why does it need another 6 months work on it?? Sounds like the Queensferry Crossing...
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Berk wrote:So why does it need another 6 months work on it?? Sounds like the Queensferry Crossing...
Perhaps because this is Britain and nothing ever gets done quickly?
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
GC_A690

Post by GC_A690 »

The shortlist of three potential names for the new bridge have been announced and, well... I hate my local council.