New Sunderland Bridge

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Mark Hewitt

Re: New Sunderland Bridge

Post by Mark Hewitt »

GC_A690 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 13:57 There isn't any dedicated cycling infrastructure (which I had thought was one of the things specifically mentioned in the original press); perhaps they're going to paint some white lines on the footways...
Hmm yes, I do remember that being stated that the new bridge was going to link the cycle infra on the North and South of the Wear.

It seems with a hell of a lot of projects cycling provision is put in so it'll pass the assessments then it's taken out later down the line to save 35p.
Orillion

Post by Orillion »

I drove southbound over the new bridge yesterday.

Nice wide lanes, with shared pedestrian and cyclist facilities. However, I remain unconvinced by the traffic light
crossroads on the north side; they were busy even at a quiet time of day. There is also a set of traffic lights on
the south side.

My route took me toward Broadway roundabout, along Paul Watson Way, so I didn't use the new junction at
the top of Woodbine Bank.
GC_A690

Post by GC_A690 »

Orillion wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 14:00 I drove southbound over the new bridge yesterday.

Nice wide lanes, with shared pedestrian and cyclist facilities. However, I remain unconvinced by the traffic light
crossroads on the north side; they were busy even at a quiet time of day. There is also a set of traffic lights on
the south side.

My route took me toward Broadway roundabout, along Paul Watson Way, so I didn't use the new junction at
the top of Woodbine Bank.
I have to say I agree about the junction on Wessington Way, it's atrocious. There was a lot of press about the 'Sunderland Strategic Transport Corridor' providing a 'continuous dual carriageway' from the A19 to the city centre - but all A1231 through traffic in both directions has to organise itself into one lane at that crossroads. And if you're turning onto the bridge heading towards the city centre, the traffic light sequence takes ages.

The southern tie-in seems less busy, but I have less of a problem with it anyway because it's temporary - in theory it should only be there three years or so before the new section of road opens between the bridge and St Mary's Way.

Amusingly, my mother drove across the bridge 'by accident' a few days ago, as the entrance to Pallion Retail Park is now LILO, but there is no signage for anyone leaving it wanting to go south to tell them to take Paul Watson Way.
boliston

Post by boliston »

have had a look at it on street view and it's not too bad from a design point of view and also looks quite nmu friendly - 20 years ago it would have most likely been built in a far more nmu hostile way
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Does the A1231 now go across the bridge?
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Mark Hewitt wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:53 Does the A1231 now go across the bridge?
Yes. I think the ex-A1231 to the east is now a B road, but I forgot to note its number.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

I drove across the bridge for the first time last weekend. Yeah I know it’s been open a while!

Tbh it’s a bit of a chew on. So many traffic lights you have to stop at. Feels slower than the old route.

However Sunderland have today announced part 2 of the scheme to build a dual carriageway

I wonder if the D2 North of the Wear will be singled as a result.
M19

Post by M19 »

Wessington Way used to be like one of Milton Keynes grid roads that was removed and grafted onto Sunderland. Under normal conditions, most people would drive along at 50-60mph despite the NSL, as it was pointless going faster, only having to slow down again. But when it was quiet, it was a good road for a legal Italian tune up. Now ruined!
M19
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

Mark Hewitt wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 19:43 I drove across the bridge for the first time last weekend. Yeah I know it’s been open a while!
Tbh it’s a bit of a chew on. So many traffic lights you have to stop at. Feels slower than the old route.
However Sunderland have today announced part 2 of the scheme to build a dual carriageway
Here is the official DfT press release with more details
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

A303Chris wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 09:18
Mark Hewitt wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 19:43 I drove across the bridge for the first time last weekend. Yeah I know it’s been open a while!
Here is the official DfT press release with more details
It's only at the funding secured phase so I can assume that it'll be several years before we see diggers on the ground?