Inverness west link

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Re: Inverness west link

Post by Duncan macknight »

WeirdKerr wrote:Any more news on when it opens?

Shouldn't be too long now. I believe it should be open around Christmas time or Novembersish
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

With the opening of the new rugby club building a week ago a short section of the road has been opened from Holm Mills to Ness side Roundabout, only really used by local traffic just now. I did take a drive on it today and it felt a bit wrong as it's kind a ghost road with no signs!
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Here's the latest video of the progress.

Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Public can vote for the name of the ness bridge, https://www.highland.gov.uk/site/script ... esults.php
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

What, no Bridgey McBridgeface? ;)
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Some signs have been put up at Ness side rdbt. I took a drive along the whole “bypass” today to Inshes and would think that removing a few roundabouts would make the road move a bit better.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Remember, it's not a bypass, it's a distributor road.

The whole point in a distributor road is to distribute traffic, not take it from one end of the route to the other.
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Listening to MFR there seems to be a marathon event on the 10th December so the opening will most likely be around that date somewhere. Probably Monday 11th..
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

Holm Mills Bridge wins the naming vote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-41913751

Pleased it is a "bridge" that has won rather than a "crossing".
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Opening date and time has been confirmed as Monday 11th December at 12noon
WeirdKerr

Post by WeirdKerr »

Altnabreac wrote:Holm Mills Bridge wins the naming vote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-41913751

Pleased it is a "bridge" that has won rather than a "crossing".
I had hoped for Bridgey McBridgeyFace.....
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Due to the snow the “fun run event” has been delayed but I believe the opening is still 12 noon tomorrow. Took a walk along it today and it looks really good. The only gripe i have is the 30MPH speed limit past the rugby pitches but that I understand due to the fear of flying rugby balls!
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Road was open at about 10am instead of 12noon. Still a bit slushy but good to be driving on it at last! Signs along the distributor road still say B8082 so I imagine that will be changes in the near future.
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Have we ever seen definitive evidence that the A8082 is going to be any more than the loop over the new canal bridge (when it is finally built) to maintain the A82 flow when one bridge swings? I have a suspicion that the B8082 will remain, and be extended to cross the new river bridge, and that for now the A8082 will simply extend from the new A82 roundabout to the next roundabout, a distance of maybe 150m.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: A8082 :

The A8082 is the number given to the Inverness Southern Distributor Road, construction of which started in the late 1980s (The 1988 OS Landranger does not show any of the route). The first sections to be built were from Dores Road to Stratherrick Road and from Old Edinburgh Road to Inshes Roundabout (bypassing Drakies housing). The sections in between came in later phases. It forms a bypass of the city and taking much of the traffic away from the city centre, greatly helped

... Read More
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

rileyrob wrote:Have we ever seen definitive evidence that the A8082 is going to be any more than the loop over the new canal bridge (when it is finally built) to maintain the A82 flow when one bridge swings? I have a suspicion that the B8082 will remain, and be extended to cross the new river bridge, and that for now the A8082 will simply extend from the new A82 roundabout to the next roundabout, a distance of maybe 150m.
Signs are being altered along the route (the B is becoming an A on the B8082 signs) so it seems it will extend all the way to inshes.

From the SABRE Wiki: A8082 :

The A8082 is the number given to the Inverness Southern Distributor Road, construction of which started in the late 1980s (The 1988 OS Landranger does not show any of the route). The first sections to be built were from Dores Road to Stratherrick Road and from Old Edinburgh Road to Inshes Roundabout (bypassing Drakies housing). The sections in between came in later phases. It forms a bypass of the city and taking much of the traffic away from the city centre, greatly helped

... Read More
WeirdKerr

Post by WeirdKerr »

drove it today.... quite impressive, nice layby by the river which will be a good spot in the summer for a picnic :)
clc

Post by clc »

Official drone video of the opening ceremony:

http://youtu.be/mLsqaFRE2hM
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

So is it confirmed that the whole road is the A8082, with the B8082 number becoming defunct?
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

"A" has been stuck over "B" on the majority of signs along the Southern Distributor Road.
djw1981

Post by djw1981 »

Looking on maps today i noticved [gmap]https://goo.gl/maps/8aAhUE74GBq[/gmap]. The stub off the roundabout appears to involve a new bridge and road across the golf course. Is the current swing bridge being replaced, or merely near life expired and they are doing a 'Forth replacement crossing' style diversion then refurb of old bridge for busses only/redundancy?