A46 Coventry Junctions upgrade

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jackal

A46 Coventry Junctions upgrade

Post by jackal »

This scheme will grade separate the Binley and Walsgrave roundabouts, in that order:
We will be taking a phased approach to the scheme and will progress with the A46/A428 Binley junction (known locally as TGI junction) first as it currently suffers from heavy congestion. This will provide access along the A46 for further economic growth.

Over the last year, we have identified and assessed an option for a grade separated junction, which we believe will meet the needs of road users and the community.
Reading between the lines, the 'phased approach' may be a cunning way of delivering on the promised Spring 2020 start date while easing the pressure on HE's buckling budget.

The scheme page, including public exhibition dates, is here: http://roads.highways.gov.uk/projects/a ... s-upgrade/
fras

Re: A46 Coventry Junctions upgrade

Post by fras »

Just look at a map of the road and the A428 eastward of it.I mean, the A428 is an absolute joke ! I know this because I used to live in Rugby. I'm sure Morrisons had a supermarket leading off the roundabout, but it was 22 years ago.

I also love that very sharp kink in the by-pass where it goes round the edge of Coombe Abbey lake ! Surely there is no need for a junction at that point ?
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

fras wrote:Just look at a map of the road and the A428 eastward of it.I mean, the A428 is an absolute joke ! I know this because I used to live in Rugby. I'm sure Morrisons had a supermarket leading off the roundabout, but it was 22 years ago.

I also love that very sharp kink in the by-pass where it goes round the edge of Coombe Abbey lake ! Surely there is no need for a junction at that point ?
The A428 is perfectly reasonable for the purpose it serves, I know this because I've lived in Rugby, Wolston and Coventry. It's not a massively busy road and not really a through route. For 75% of Rugby - Coventry traffic the M6 to the north or A45 to the south is a more appropriate route.

The only issue is the A46 junction and that's getting resolved.

As for the Walsgrave junction, I'm fairly sure anyone trying to get to Walsgrave hospital is very glad that it's there.
fras

Post by fras »

There is a bridge on the bypass right by Walsgrave. A better location for a junction if Walsgrave Hospital is the destination, I would think, and much easier for ambulances on emergencies.

As for your suggestion re taking the M6 for a local trip Rugby - Coventry then we will have to disagree on this one. Motorways were built as part of a trunk road network, not for local trips. It is people using them for local commuting that has clogged them up.
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

The proposed GSJ for the "TGI roundabout" east of Coventry can only be good. I spent around seven years working in the Coventry area in the past ten years and used this road regularly. I often dined at the TGI whilst waiting for the Rugby-bound queues to clear.

The last enhancements at the TGI roundabout have expanded the lanes to about the maximum that any motorist can understand; so the logical next move is an "up and over" for the A46. The next enhancement will also bypass the pelican/puffin pedestrian crossings, which bring the roundabout (and the A46) to a standstill. So this is a GOOD development for the area.

And about time too!

Mike
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
James

Post by James »

Going to have to give this route more consideration over the A43, with all the improvements that they're making. Once these 2 roundabouts are done will be (nearly) free flow from the M40 to M1

I'm just hoping with all these improvements the speed limit doesn't get slashed as has happened around the A45/A46 junction
ais523

Post by ais523 »

I actually really like the idea of closing the junction with the B4082, and building a GSJ further north to compensate. The existing junction's in a really awkward place to grade-separate, and most of the traffic using it will be aiming further north anyway (as if they were aiming to the south, the A428 would work almost as well).
mattling

Post by mattling »

Moving the walsgrave junction further north would give better access to the hospital but it wouldn't solve the problem of the sharp turn the A46 takes at the current roundabout. The only solution to this is a large additional land take and the demolition of the farm just to the north of the junction. I think that "phased approach" means the second roundabout will never be grade separated.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Press release

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/publ ... on-upgrade
The A46 is a strategic link between the East and West Midlands, connecting Coventry and Warwickshire to the motorway network. The scheme is part of the government’s £15.2bn road investment strategy, involving work to both Binley and Walsgrave junctions.

Highways England will progress with Binley first, helping to improve traffic flows at this important junction. As part of the plans for Binley the A46 dual carriageway will become a flyover with connections via slip roads. Local traffic will continue to use the revised roundabout layout with access in place to and from the A46. This will separate local traffic connecting on to and using the A428 from through-traffic, so that drivers on the A46 no longer need to slow down for a roundabout as they do now, therefore improving traffic flow. The work will also incorporate improvements to the existing footway and cycle path.

Highways England project manager, Malcolm Mitson, said:

This work will help alleviate congestion at this busy junction and improve journey times for motorists. As well as improving the flow of traffic, safety will be improved by separating local traffic from long-distance and business traffic.

The scheme will take approximately two years to complete, with construction starting no later than March 2020 and opening to traffic in 2022.

During the work, Highways England will minimise disruption to road users, local communities and the environment.

People attending the exhibitions will be able to see plans of the proposals, find out more about the scheme and ask questions of the project team.

The events will take place as follows:

Friday 17 February, 1pm to 8pm Community Centre, Warwickshire Shopping Park, Coventry, CV3 2SB
Saturday 18 February, 10am to 4pm Binley Woods Village Hall, Rugby Road, Binley Woods, Coventry, CV3 2AX
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

James wrote:Going to have to give this route more consideration over the A43, with all the improvements that they're making. Once these 2 roundabouts are done will be (nearly) free flow from the M40 to M1

I'm just hoping with all these improvements the speed limit doesn't get slashed as has happened around the A45/A46 junction
Always been my preferred route over the A43 and the distance from M40 junction 10 to M1 junction 21 is virtually the same. Definitely quicker at the moment given the ALR works on the M1 between J16 and J19.

On a different point went through at the weekend and nice to see Tollbar finished but why has the new through route only got a 50 mph on it extending about a mile up the A46 to the north. Surely this could have all been left at 70mph
The M25 - The road to nowhere
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

mattling wrote:Moving the walsgrave junction further north would give better access to the hospital but it wouldn't solve the problem of the sharp turn the A46 takes at the current roundabout. The only solution to this is a large additional land take and the demolition of the farm just to the north of the junction. I think that "phased approach" means the second roundabout will never be grade separated.
Another problem is the large lake to the east of the junction. Couldn't you remove the roundabout as access could be achieved from the GSJ to the south with the A428 or junction 2 to the north. I think you could still get an alignment in with would be acceptable
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

A303Chris wrote:
James wrote:Going to have to give this route more consideration over the A43, with all the improvements that they're making. Once these 2 roundabouts are done will be (nearly) free flow from the M40 to M1

Always been my preferred route over the A43 and the distance from M40 junction 10 to M1 junction 21 is virtually the same. Definitely quicker at the moment given the ALR works on the M1 between J16 and J19.

On a different point went through at the weekend and nice to see Tollbar finished but why has the new through route only got a 50 mph on it extending about a mile up the A46 to the north. Surely this could have all been left at 70mph
The radius of a corner will be below standard for the DMRB so to compensate instead of the logical advisory speeds on the affected length you get a ridiculous over-compensation by putting a limit in 3 miles either side. It seems to be the new way of doing things... :roll:
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Bryn666 wrote: The radius of a corner will be below standard for the DMRB so to compensate instead of the logical advisory speeds on the affected length you get a ridiculous over-compensation by putting a limit in 3 miles either side. It seems to be the new way of doing things... :roll:
The irony of it is there are roads which are still 70 mph with much worse alignments than Tollbar. I would have thought a 60mph would have been better than 50 mph anyway
jackal

Post by jackal »

I expect the random LILO, which is very close to the new GSJ, is the main culprit, eastbound at least.
jackal

Post by jackal »

The proposal at Binley is for a two-bridge roundabout:

http://assets.highways.gov.uk/roads/roa ... ersion.pdf
bmwtastic

Post by bmwtastic »

So the past 2 weeks when I have come through the new A46 Tollbar end junction I have hit standing traffic on the A46 just past Tollbar on the roads to the Binley and Walsgrave roundabouts - Is this caused due to the easier flow of traffic now from the Stonebridge Highway?

Seems we will suffer this now for the next 5 years - eye watering :shock: ! http://roads.highways.gov.uk/projects/a ... s-upgrade/

And just when I thought I could get through Coventry smoothly after 2016 ! :roll:
James

Post by James »

A303Chris wrote: Always been my preferred route over the A43 and the distance from M40 junction 10 to M1 junction 21 is virtually the same. Definitely quicker at the moment given the ALR works on the M1 between J16 and J19.

Yes, I never checked the actual distance. Just the A43 felt more direct, but with all those roundabouts, not to mention Towcester bypass being down to a single lane yesterday when I went through there (and lots of signs warning of long delays) it may be time to start going a different way.

I frequently go from the M1 to A34 and after the last couple of days, definitly a new route is in order! In a few weeks ill give the A46 a go :)
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

I have always used the A46 over the A43 or M42.

Like most major roads in the UK, there is very little in it: whichever way you go there's a good chance you'll get caught up in a serious delay. Being mostly D3M the M40, A46 and M69 are quite resilient to disruption, unlike the D2 A43 or congested M1.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

HE have posted a flythrough of the Binley junction.

darkcape

Post by darkcape »

That retaining wall is really paying homage to the concrete walls of Coventry inner ring road, going to be very ugly.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!