A12 Renumbering - Great Yarmouth to Lowestoft

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A303Chris

A12 Renumbering - Great Yarmouth to Lowestoft

Post by A303Chris »

I have just noticed this statement in the list of works published by the HE for the east of England
A12/A47 renumbering

Highways England is renumbering part of the A12 to become the A47. This work is being carried out as part of the improvements to the A47/A12 corridor. We will be replacing road signs that currently show the A12 to now show the A47. The work will last approximately 12 weeks to complete. The section of the A12 that currently runs from Lowestoft to Great Yarmouth will become the A47.
Hadn't seen this published elsewhere, but I presume the HE want the road they maintain through Norfolk to have the same number. Personally , I can not see the point of it.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Berk

Re: A12 Renumbering - Great Yarmouth to Lowestoft

Post by Berk »

Have you been away for a while?? :wink: I think it's so that HE can wheedle some more money out of the Government to carry out some minor upgrades on the upper end of the A12 - by linking it up with the A47 projects.

Possibly including that Lake Lothing bridge. What are they proposing for that, BTW?? A bridge high enough not to need to be raised for boats??
Last edited by Berk on Mon Mar 06, 2017 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
Lil

Post by Lil »

Came through Great Yarmouth a week ago and indeed this stretch of A12 is now numbered A47.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Berk

Post by Berk »

But do you not think this is a cynical attempt to link up with a funding source?? Why can't the Lothing Bridge get it in it's own right??
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Yes, but if it works then go for it.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Noticed driving up to Yarmouth last night that most of the RCS's past Ipswich on the A12 reflect the change past Lowestoft, which I was surprised to see.

A12
Lowestoft xx

(A47)
Great Yarmouth xx

I would assume, although Highways England no longer maintain the A12 after Copdock, they funded the signs rather than Suffolk CC?
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

I'd renumber the whole thing as A45, personally. I'd bestow the A47 number upon the A470.

Still, I think I'll add the entire A47 (plus the renumbered A12) to my F99 challenge!
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

McNessA720 wrote:I'd renumber the whole thing as A45, personally. I'd bestow the A47 number upon the A470.
How would you link it up with the existing A45? Take in the A605 as well?
Still, I think I'll add the entire A47 (plus the renumbered A12) to my F99 challenge!
Done 'em both :msnangel: ... and it was just after the change had taken effect.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Owain wrote:
McNessA720 wrote:I'd renumber the whole thing as A45, personally. I'd bestow the A47 number upon the A470.
How would you link it up with the existing A45? Take in the A605 as well?
My idea was for the A45 to be renumbered, actually.

Though to what exactly, I'm not sure.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

Just a thought – any reason why the A17 shouldn't be extended from King's Lynn to Lowestoft and the A47 from Peterborough to King's Lynn renumbered as A16, with the current A16 from Mkt. Deeping – Grimsby renumbered A150, and Grantham – Mablethorpe renumbered A152 from A52?

Chris Williams
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Chris56000 wrote:Hi!

Just a thought – any reason why the A17 shouldn't be extended from King's Lynn to Lowestoft and the A47 from Peterborough to King's Lynn renumbered as A16, with the current A16 from Mkt. Deeping – Grimsby renumbered A150?
Nice idea, Chris!

I might add that the A17 ought to extend all the way to the M1, along the current A617. I know it would be out of zone, but no more so than the A14.

In fact, if your A16 took over the A47 all the way to Leicester (which would make similar sense), the A47 number could be freed up for use elsewhere (like Wales).

Viva la Repubblica!
ais523

Post by ais523 »

Owain wrote:In fact, if your A16 took over the A47 all the way to Leicester (which would make similar sense), the A47 number could be freed up for use elsewhere (like Wales).
What would you do with the bit of A47 that's still stuck in Birmingham? A16 would be very out of place there. I guess it could really do with a renumbering anyway, though.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

ais523 wrote:
Owain wrote:In fact, if your A16 took over the A47 all the way to Leicester (which would make similar sense), the A47 number could be freed up for use elsewhere (like Wales).
What would you do with the bit of A47 that's still stuck in Birmingham? A16 would be very out of place there. I guess it could really do with a renumbering anyway, though.
There isn't really much point in A47 having that number anywhere west of Leicester.

Viva la Repubblica!
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Just a thought – any reason why the A17 shouldn't be extended from King's Lynn to Lowestoft and the A47 from Peterborough to King's Lynn renumbered as A16, with the current A16 from Mkt. Deeping – Grimsby renumbered A150, and Grantham – Mablethorpe renumbered A152 from A52?

Chris Williams
The A16 runs Peterborough - Grimsby, the ex A16 from Stamford to Spalding (passing Market Deeping on the way) has been the A1175 for several years now. Extending the A17 in favour of A47 I can sort of understand but why renumber the whole of the current A16 just to pinch the number for the short stretch from P'bog to Lynn? A150 is free so why not use that?

A52 east of Grantham doesn't feel like the same road as the bit west of Grantham so I can understand wanting to renumber that, and the existing A152 isn't really a road as such but a bodge job of other roads stuck together (including part of the ex A16), it could go in favour of a 4 digit number - A1652 for example as it ends on those 2.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Owain wrote:... the A47 number could be freed up for use elsewhere (like Wales).
It could be used for the A419/A417 route which could then happily leave the other bits of A419 and A417 as they are on their own.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

ais523 wrote:
I presume the A47 isnt primary west of the M1? If not make it a 4 digit A road starting with 47.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Fenlander wrote:

Chris Williams
The A16 runs Peterborough - Grimsby, the ex A16 from Stamford to Spalding (passing Market Deeping on the way) has been the A1175 for several years now. Extending the A17 in favour of A47 I can sort of understand but why renumber the whole of the current A16 just to pinch the number for the short stretch from P'bog to Lynn? A150 is free so why not use that?

A52 east of Grantham doesn't feel like the same road as the bit west of Grantham so I can understand wanting to renumber that, and the existing A152 isn't really a road as such but a bodge job of other roads stuck together (including part of the ex A16), it could go in favour of a 4 digit number - A1652 for example as it ends on those 2.
They could have used the A12's number as an extension over the A47 instead, that could go to the M1.

Also if the M1 became the new boundary for the 1 zone (yes that would leave a vast number of roads out of place!), then the A1 could become the M10 and roads like the A14 would make sense!
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

lotrjw wrote:
ais523 wrote:
I presume the A47 isnt primary west of the M1? If not make it a 4 digit A road starting with 47.
A47 is non-primary within Birmingham, including the Fort/Heartlands Parkway. It *is* primary from where it reappears in Nuneaton all the way to Lowestoft, I think even including the section through Leicester city centre. And of course it doesn't have a junction with the M1!
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The A47 in Birmingham is a bit of a weird one, it's not the original A47 alignment (obviously), and it ends on the A452. A4747 is free and given the A38 is merely yards to the north, it seems stupid to have two 2da routes next to each other.

Or, in true Birmingham style, why not have the B347 :roll:
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck