A27. Shoreham and IKEA

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SarahJ

A27. Shoreham and IKEA

Post by SarahJ »

Not sure if this has been mentioned:

IKEA is coming to Brighton (sort of) and are building a store just next to Brighton/Shoreham Airport. This will involve replacing the lights there. (almost unique as lights on a 70mph limit road) and the place where a plane crashed into queuing traffic) with a large roundabout. I'd prefer a GSJ, as I feel traffic heading W/B will hit traffic coming E/B into IKEA. Anyway, here is a link to the plans: http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15049249 ... /#gallery3
Last edited by SarahJ on Wed Mar 08, 2017 17:58, edited 4 times in total.
roadtester

Re: A27. Shoreham and IKEA

Post by roadtester »

Putting the roads aspect to one side for a minute - Brighton + Ikea = a match made in heaven.
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

Nice to see traffic lights getting changed to a roundabout! :thumbsup:
jackal

Post by jackal »

£40m of road improvements but no GSJ at this site is a disgrace. Classic short termism.
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

The thing is a GSJ here would be a waste given the quality of the A27 west of Shoreham. If a GSJ was to be built, it would have to be with a completely new A27 in mind, and in that respect this new roundabout could fairly easily be incorporated into such a junction, so no objections from me.
Berk

Post by Berk »

M5Lenzar wrote:Nice to see traffic lights getting changed to a roundabout! :thumbsup:
Only as long as the roundabout stays lights free.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

M5Lenzar wrote:Nice to see traffic lights getting changed to a roundabout! :thumbsup:
I have never been stopped at the lights here. The junction can currently be crossed safely and legally at 70mph (with due caution in case the lights do change). The road east of here is of a high standard.

Your celebration at the installation of a roundabout is bizarre in that context.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Berk

Post by Berk »

Johnathan404 wrote:
I have never been stopped at the lights here. The junction can currently be crossed safely and legally at 70mph (with due caution in case the lights do change). The road east of here is of a high standard.

Your celebration at the installation of a roundabout is bizarre in that context.
Oh I was stopped. And it's not nice at all to have to slam the brakes on when you've been cruising at 70.

Time to fix the interchange, maybe??
Lockwood

Post by Lockwood »

Johnathan404 wrote:

I've have had those lights thrown in my face before now ages back.
Something, possibly foliage, blocked my view of the lights on approach. Didn't see the amber phase.
Wasn't fun.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

SarahJ wrote:IKEA is coming to Brighton...
Run away! Save yourselves while there's still time!! It's the beginning of the end!!!
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Berk

Post by Berk »

Owain wrote:
SarahJ wrote:IKEA is coming to Brighton...
Run away! Save yourselves while there's still time!! It's the beginning of the end!!!
I'm sure the residents of BN2 will be delighted!! :D
jackal

Post by jackal »

DavidBrown wrote:The thing is a GSJ here would be a waste given the quality of the A27 west of Shoreham. If a GSJ was to be built, it would have to be with a completely new A27 in mind, and in that respect this new roundabout could fairly easily be incorporated into such a junction, so no objections from me.
You could just as well say 'no point in having a GSJ at the A283 given the quality of the A27 west of Shoreham'.

Less congestion is always better than more, whatever the state of the adjoining road. And if there's one thing the proposed 'signalised roundabout the size of a football pitch' is going to have, it's congestion.
SarahJ

Post by SarahJ »

When ever I cross the lights, esp coming from the East. It's always foot off the 'gas', and aim for about 50-55. No sign of amber, off you, though the limit drops before the Lancing roundabout, so no point being too keen . Heading East your normally just getting up to speed and traffic is bunched up anyway, you can see the lights, so just a case of keeping it steady, then go, go.. or not.
Fluid Dynamics

Post by Fluid Dynamics »

I am not a fan of the existing junction, both the need to brake from 70mph and for some reason the lanes either side of junction never feel precisely aligned.

However adding a roundabout to serve Ikea and a housing development is madness. IKEAs cause traffic chaos, no doubt attract over commercial developments and this will have a negative impact on the A27, worse than the Sompting retail park that also causes disruption further west.

Developers should provide sufficient infrastructure to support developments.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Why can't they build an LAR from Sompting to the retail park?? :?:
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

It's a signalised rbt so, far worse than the present lights. Such contradiction, passing the GSJ'd Arundel bypass and planning a freeflow Chichester bp then, making it worse elsewhere. Clearly developer lead not HE lead.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
GeekyJames

Post by GeekyJames »

absolute madness! If the ultimate goal is to upgrade the A27 to expressway standards then this should be grade separated! I know from living in Southampton the traffic Ikea generates.
Berk

Post by Berk »

SteveA30 wrote:It's a signalised rbt so, far worse than the present lights. Such contradiction, passing the GSJ'd Arundel bypass and planning a freeflow Chichester bp then, making it worse elsewhere. Clearly developer lead not HE lead.
Hopefully it could be flown-over at some point?? Obviously Chichester is a dead duck now (for the time being).
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

You could easily upgrade this to a GSJ later as any improvements around Sompting will have to be offline to the north anyway.

It also will quite possibly work well at 'gating' traffic going west, meaning the really bad bits aren't suddenly saturated with vehicles bombing through the old lights at 70.

Of course, you could always write to the authorities involved and request to see the traffic models and TEMPRO growth forecasts, etc, to see what decision process resulted in a large signalised roundabout...?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Berk

Post by Berk »

Point taken. It's just a shame there's nothing on the table for Worthing/Sompting as of yet...