A27. Shoreham and IKEA

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: A27. Shoreham and IKEA

Post by c2R »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 07:13 I just do not understand this Janus-like approach to the A27

One one hand, the visionary choice at Arundel... yet here, the absolute opposite.
I think because the plan removes the entire signalised crossroads to the east. Also that it isn't clear how the road would be improved through Shoreham anyway...?
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
jervi

Post by jervi »

Roundabout having 4 Arms makes sense. Otherwise traffic from the college going West would have to enter the A27 EB, over the bridges, leave at the Adur interchange, back onto the bridge, back across Sussex pad to enter Lancing. As far as I am aware, the plan was already to remove all lights at Sussex Pad. Although an underpass for pedestrians & cycles would be nice to access over the old toll bridge into shoreham without having to use the crossing at the new roundabout.

And re to why Arundel is getting a expressway style road while here it is not is because Lancing & Worthing need a full offline bypass (or tunnel), the new roundabout is situated far enough west to still make an eastern tie in feasibile, so the roundabout will not be on the through route of the A27
JammyDodge

Post by JammyDodge »

Overall, its not a bad thing. The A27 is never going to be upgraded through Worthing, it basically has to go north
The position of the roundabout makes it possible to make a diamond layout for a future GSJ
Capture4.JPG
Designing Tomorrow, Around the Past
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

This one is okay as it involves removing the lights. The link road from the rbt and the LILO is just the sort of design we might come up with (apart from a full GSJ of course) so, actually not bad. Unless the rbt is to be signalled instead......
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
jervi

Post by jervi »

J24-Overview.png
This is a drawing I came up with a few years ago as part of a fantasy M27 expansion.
When there is a Lancing/Worthing Bypass I'd expect to to be very similar to this, although merge/diverged could be moved West or slightly east, which could avoid the buildings currently at Sussex Pad.

Also it is to note that South Downs National Park's border is on the northern Highway Boundary of the A27, so the SDNP will likely (try to) block it.

Regardless of whatever works are (or may) take place at Sussex Pad, I hope there will some sort of crossing provision. Speed & AADT & NMU crossings rule out any uncontrolled at-grade junctions.
Shandyman

Post by Shandyman »

Some sad/happy news depending on your opinion on the subject, and how much you don't like driving to the Purley Way... :wink:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-57736487
avtur

Post by avtur »

Shandyman wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 16:18 Some sad/happy news depending on your opinion on the subject, and how much you don't like driving to the Purley Way... :wink:

The hike up to Purley Way from Haywards Heath can be a real drag, I never tire of driving but the journey up to Croyden test my limits of enjoyment because of the traffic density and the number of lawless idiots that frequent some of the roads as you head into the city. IKEA have said that as a result of the shift in people's shopping habits they have decided that the new store no longer makes commercial sense. The problem with IKEA is that they want £40 for home delivery, in our house that is a significant obstacle to online shopping at IKEA.

I understand that the remainder of the development will go ahead as planned.
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

avtur wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 20:09
Shandyman wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 16:18 Some sad/happy news depending on your opinion on the subject, and how much you don't like driving to the Purley Way... :wink:

The hike up to Purley Way from Haywards Heath can be a real drag, I never tire of driving but the journey up to Croyden test my limits of enjoyment because of the traffic density and the number of lawless idiots that frequent some of the roads as you head into the city. IKEA have said that as a result of the shift in people's shopping habits they have decided that the new store no longer makes commercial sense. The problem with IKEA is that they want £40 for home delivery, in our house that is a significant obstacle to online shopping at IKEA.

OK, looking at a £40 delivery fee. You hate the drive up to Purley. The journey clearly is not in your list of favourites. So what value/price do you place on your time?

In this greenwashed world of 2021, might I suggest 40 quid for peace and quiet might represent better value than the initial "hell, that's a lot!" reaction?
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Ikea are going to sell the land it says, so it's likely that something else will be built there - the district council are committed to employment, so it's likely they'll try get more commercial/business use from it first rather than putting loads of homes on it straight away...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Shandyman

Post by Shandyman »

mikehindsonevans wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 07:16
avtur wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 20:09

OK, looking at a £40 delivery fee. You hate the drive up to Purley. The journey clearly is not in your list of favourites. So what value/price do you place on your time?

In this greenwashed world of 2021, might I suggest 40 quid for peace and quiet might represent better value than the initial "hell, that's a lot!" reaction?
Yeah I kind of agree with this, however, with the kind of products IKEA sell I would always prefer to see it first to get a proper gauge of size and colour etc.. and £40 is steep!!

I think it’s good from a traffic perspective mind you, it’s bad in and around worthing as it is already, although that does depend on what the land gets used for instead I guess!

Plus going to Croydon isn’t nice regardless of the reason 😂
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

I did some work close by and flooding issues there are horrendous to overcome, mainly due to high water table caused by sea water. My client walked away.
The costs for flood mitigation would be huge plus the cost of the S278 works for the roundabout easily £5 to 10 plus million. I think that’s why IKEA are walking away.
Also IKEA were paying for the roundabout which also provide access to the proposed residential dwellings. With out IKEA funding it, the whole site allocation looks unlikely to progress now.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
jervi

Post by jervi »

If I'm not mistaken, only 249 of the new houses can be occupied prior to the roundabout being completed as well as part of the planning conditions. So if the new roundabout's current funding stream is now dry, then it will leave those up to 249 houses using the temp access for the foreseeable future, and clearly no more houses can be occupied before then. Maybe the developer for the housing estate will have to fork out the few extra million for the roundabout, or maybe money could still be taken from IKEA if the contracts said they will have to construct it via S278, or provide funding via a S106 regardless if the development was completed or not.
Either way it is more of a tricky situation for the housing developer rather than the local councils / HE.