IRL: why do they use the word 'YIELD' instead of 'GIVE WAY'??

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Berk

IRL: why do they use the word 'YIELD' instead of 'GIVE WAY'??

Post by Berk »

Fair question, I guess there's little tangible difference. But why is it so?? And more importantly, do procedures differ??
wrinkly

Re: IRL: why do they use the word 'YIELD' instead of 'GIVE WAY'??

Post by wrinkly »

Was the sign introduced at a time when the nearest UK equivalent was "Slow - major road ahead"?

So they'd follow the US practice.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

US practice, and differentiation. The best bilingual version is as used in the rest of Europe. A blank inverted triangle.

No words = no translation issues.

Which would be better for Wales? Inverted triangle with nowt in it, or GIVE WAY or ILDWCH GIVE WAY.

The Give Way is probably the road sign most multi lingual when there is no words on it.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

I saw a Gaelscoil which used what I assume was the Irish translation of 'Give Way'. Naturally I can't remember the spelling but it contained 'sli' which makes it unlikely to be a translation of 'yield'.

I have seen 'Give Way' in Dublin but can't for the life of me remember where, as well as a few 'Yield: right of way's which are probably just old signs.
Last edited by Johnathan404 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 00:47, edited 1 time in total.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Berk

Post by Berk »

I believe it's 'Geill sli', but I only know that from SABRE. Most of the signs I saw last year just said Yield.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

Spain has used 'CEDA EL PASO' 'give way' in these signs, and dropped the. As Belgium has found out, the inverted triangle with no words is better. IMHO this would be better in Wales or in Gaelic Scotland. No words = no translation.

Canada uses the sign without words for this reason, and also the NO ENTRY as we know it for the same reason. No words means it can be read in both languages.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The French on the other hand use a blank triangle with a supplementary plate stating 'cédez le passage'... but prior to 1982 they didn't bother.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

The only issue is that we sometimes use the blank triangle as an advance warning, with a supplementary plate giving the distance.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Viator

Post by Viator »

Berk wrote:I believe it's 'Geill sli', but I only know that from SABRE. Most of the signs I saw last year just said Yield.
Yes, it's GÉILL SLÍ -- which literally means ...give (up) (right of) way. The reason that you'll see far less of the Irish-language sign is that it's used only in the Gaeltacht.

In earlier days the English-language version said YIELD RIGHT OF WAY -- as did the US sign in the 1950s, which confirms the impression that Ireland imported the wording directly from America.

Another use of slí, by the way, is in the expression slí amach (way out, exit).
Last edited by Viator on Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
Viator

Post by Viator »

Chris Bertram wrote:The only issue is that we sometimes use the blank triangle as an advance warning, with a supplementary plate giving the distance.
But then, so does every other European country.
Viator

Post by Viator »

Bryn666 wrote:The French on the other hand use a blank triangle with a supplementary plate stating 'cédez le passage'... but prior to 1982 they didn't bother.
The date I have for the change of regulation is 1974 (Arrêté du 26 juillet 1974) -- but perhaps 1982 is the year by which all old-pattern signs (which had a much thinner red border) had to have been replaced.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Yes, that would make more sense, as the old style signs were phased out in 1982, including the original autoroute direction signs.

The original Yield / Geill Sli signs used a different typeface too.
Attachments
information-sign-600x363.jpg
old-irish-red-triangle-yield-right-of-way-sign-in-rural-ireland-c86e24.jpg
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
fras

Post by fras »

I used to go to the RoI for holidays. I soon got used to the Irish way with roadsigns, particularly the way the local little neds turn the signs around. Nobody's mentioned the sign that we called the "Wiggly Worm" for bends ahead.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

In the 1960s the Irish signs were much more based on USA practice than they are now. Geill Sli (which I interpreted as "Go Slow") was all across the country, not just in the Gaelic areas. The US AASHO Yield sign had just been brought over directly, sign shape, colour, everything. However they were used pretty universally, like the UK, instead of the US approach of using a Stop sign at every crossroads junction and the Yield just for merges etc.

Same for the "wriggly worm". That'sa US standard as well.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

I can't help but feel that it's no disadvantage that it helps make Ireland look a little bit different from the UK, along with the New World style signage. Change over to "GIVE WAY", and have the triangles instead of the yellow diamonds, and in many places it would be hard to tell an Irish village from a British one in a photo.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

The Irish diamonds etc also serve as a reminder that you've crossed the border, signing an unsigned line.
Viator

Post by Viator »

WHBM wrote:In the 1960s the Irish signs were much more based on USA practice than they are now. Geill Sli (which I interpreted as "Go Slow") was all across the country, not just in the Gaelic areas. The US AASHO Yield sign had just been brought over directly, sign shape, colour, everything.
Not quite.

*The first Irish Yield/Give Way sign (1956) was a blank red-bordered inverted triangle (as in most of the rest of Europe).
*Wording (Yield Right of Way or Géill Slí) was added in 1962.
*YRoW was shortened to Yield in 1997.

Ireland has never had Yield signs like those in the US. The latter were black-on-yellow Yield Right of Way (until 1961) and black-on-yellow Yield (until 1971). The US Yield sign was altered in 1971 to become more like the European one (red-bordered white triangle, but with a much wider border and the word Yield in red).

P.S. I never saw Géill Slí outside the Gaeltacht. Perhaps you are thinking of Go Mall (= Slow).
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Viator wrote:
WHBM wrote:P.S. I never saw Géill Slí outside the Gaeltacht. Perhaps you are thinking of Go Mall (= Slow).
First one we saw was about 1 mile from the Dun Laoghaire ferry terminal.
Was92now625

Post by Was92now625 »

I don't consider 'Give Way' to be a particularly natural word form. When I first started looking at road-signs (probably about the same time as road numbers), I could not interpret the words. Then for a long time (before I started driving) I though 'Give Way' and 'STOP' were effectively the same instruction. Perhaps 'Yield' could be more self-explanatory than 'Give Way'.
Viator

Post by Viator »

WHBM wrote:
Viator wrote:
WHBM wrote:P.S. I never saw Géill Slí outside the Gaeltacht. Perhaps you are thinking of Go Mall (= Slow).
First one we saw was about 1 mile from the Dun Laoghaire ferry terminal.
Interesting: seems that Dún Laoghaire may have a bit of a "thing" about Géill Slí signs! See here:
http://ecouncil.dlrcoco.ie:9071/documen ... Report.pdf