M11 /A120 Junc 8

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

mikehindsonevans

Re: M11 /A120 Junc 8

Post by mikehindsonevans »

roadtester wrote:Wasn't/isn't there a plan to free-flow the link between the M11 and the A120 to the north avoiding the roundabout as was done to the south some years ago?

I do the M11 a lot and unless it's very quiet, if I need a stop, I tend to go to the services on the A120 near the airport even though this is a detour of a couple of miles because it limits your exposure to the A120/M11 roundabout.
Roadtester; thank you so much for the tip about the service area on the A120. We had a lovely break there on Good Friday (the M11 had been stuffed northbound from the M25 and seemed to be at a standstill north of J8). We took the free-flowing link road up and over the M11 (bypassing J8 completely) and, having previously loaded the satnav with the postcode for the BP site, we breezed into a restful coffee break. We subsequently pootled along the A120 in an easterly direction and discovered an entirely new cross-country route to Norwich.

Thank you
Mike and wife.
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

mikehindsonevans wrote:
roadtester wrote:Wasn't/isn't there a plan to free-flow the link between the M11 and the A120 to the north avoiding the roundabout as was done to the south some years ago?

I do the M11 a lot and unless it's very quiet, if I need a stop, I tend to go to the services on the A120 near the airport even though this is a detour of a couple of miles because it limits your exposure to the A120/M11 roundabout.
Roadtester; thank you so much for the tip about the service area on the A120. We had a lovely break there on Good Friday (the M11 had been stuffed northbound from the M25 and seemed to be at a standstill north of J8). We took the free-flowing link road up and over the M11 (bypassing J8 completely) and, having previously loaded the satnav with the postcode for the BP site, we breezed into a restful coffee break. We subsequently pootled along the A120 in an easterly direction and discovered an entirely new cross-country route to Norwich.

Thank you
Mike and wife.
Glad to be of service - works for me!

Do be careful with over-staying the parking though. They tried to sting me with a penalty charge by post once a couple of years ago when I inadvertently over-stayed but I managed to wriggle out of it.
The God of Biscuits

Post by The God of Biscuits »

An update regarding the improvement works I mentioned upthread. The scheme was apparently given the go-ahead back in October last year, although the exact details of the improvements have changed. http://www.southeastlep.com/images/uplo ... _Case_.pdf describes them as follows:
Location 1:
South-west of M11 Junction 8 - Add additional approach lane from M11 J8 northbound exit slip onto existing A120 (Birchanger Green Services), Bishop's Stortford.
Location 2:
West of M11 J8 - Replace the existing A120/A1250 roundabout with a multi-arm signalised junction and widen to three lanes the A120 “west link” (both directions) and A120 “east link” (eastbound only).
Location 3:
Improved and widened slip between the M11 Southbound slip and A120 East. At the junction with the roundabout, a gantry will be installed spanning the five lanes.
Location 4:
Improved and widened two lane entry to B1256 Dunmow Road from roundabout (housing
developer S278 funded and constructed).
So no more free-flow left turns on the north-facing slips, it appears. There's another little nugget in the above document:
Other alternatives that have been considered include:-
 Relocating the exit from Birchanger Green Services to force traffic onto the A120 before turning onto the M11. This option is pending investigation into land ownership issues but could be delivered in the future.
There is actually an ongoing planning application by the Services owners to create a rear exit (mainly intended for HGVs) right now - UTT/17/2352/FUL on the Uttlesford council planning website if you are interested. I can't directly link to the plans, but they're rubbish; it's a single lane exit onto the A1250 with the existing exit onto the main J8 roundabout remaining open. One of the documents in the application shows the layout of the new A120/A1250 signalised junction as well. Given the works that will be happening here, this all strikes me as a bit of a missed opportunity. There's surely room for a higher-capacity exit from the services in the new location, allowing the old exit to be closed; this would definitely help the traffic flow on the main J8 roundabout by removing an arm from it. I fancy you could fit some sort of half-hamburger arrangement within the footprint of the current A120/A1250 roundabout to allow it...
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

The whole junction is going to get substantially worse in terms of traffic the coming years, as there is massive housing development going on to in-fill Bishop's Stortford with the A120 northern bypass, and if the planners think that all the residents are going to be anything other than two car families in this piece of new surburbia then they're delusional. Couple that with further Stansted expansion that is being planned.

I suspect these are really the only remaining options that could be built with minimum land acquisition and cost while making use of the existing structures - some tinkering if you will, to try and reduce current levels of congestion. An optional rear exit for the services might help the services attract more custom from Stortford itself, who at the moment can't be bothered to negotiate the roundabout to access it, so I'm sure that's why they're proposing it - people on their lunch breaks from the industrial areas nearby, for example.

The long term options are going to need to be widening of the overbridges on the circulatory carriageway or more free flow sliproads.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
jackal

Post by jackal »

c2R wrote:I suspect these are really the only remaining options that could be built with minimum land acquisition and cost while making use of the existing structures
There are still left turn filters they could put in. Though relatively cheap they are probably beyond what they have to spend at the moment (low seven digits by the look of it). This cheeky little link (in black) would also remove some of the main conflicts and make fuller use of the existing grade separation:
M11 J8 - Copy.png
For the long term, here's a suggestion that also GSJs the next roundabout along:
M11 A120 - Copy.png
Last edited by jackal on Fri Mar 02, 2018 01:36, edited 1 time in total.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

jackal wrote:
c2R wrote:I suspect these are really the only remaining options that could be built with minimum land acquisition and cost while making use of the existing structures
There are still left turn filters they could put in. Though relatively cheap they are probably beyond what they have to spend at the moment (low nine digits by the look of it). This cheeky little link (in black) would also remove some of the main conflicts and make fuller use of the existing grade separation:

M11 J8 - Copy.png
For the long term, here's a suggestion that also GSJs the next roundabout along:

M11 A120 - Copy.png

Both very nice ideas - the junction with the old A11 would need more thought owing to the railway in the valley but probably something quite creative could be done with it....
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
owen b

Post by owen b »

jackal wrote:
There are still left turn filters they could put in. Though relatively cheap they are probably beyond what they have to spend at the moment (low seven digits by the look of it). This cheeky little link (in black) would also remove some of the main conflicts and make fuller use of the existing grade separation:

M11 J8 - Copy.png
Cough, cough..... on that map the B1256 gets diverted from J8 to the roundabout at the GSJ at the end of the spur, which was an idea I had and which si404 kindly mapped here : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36694&p=866114&hilit=m11+j8#p866114
Owen
jackal

Post by jackal »

Indeed, I simply drew my link on si404's plan, originally in the same thread.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Thursday's Cambridge News has an article about progressing improvements to the junction:

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/l ... s-15118367

Public information:
Thursday, September 13, 12:00 – 18:00, Bishop’s Stortford Football Club
Friday, September 14, 14:00 – 20:00, Birchanger Village Hall

It looks like the proposals are to add additional stacking lanes on the approaches (4 on M11 n/b off slip, 5 on M11 s/b off slip, and a signalised junction to replace the satellite roundabout into Stortford with additional lanes to support further stacking here).

https://www.essexhighways.org/transport ... cheme.aspx

The Essex CC website describes it as a short to medium term solution with preliminary construction expecting to start this winter and lasting two years.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

Timeline has slipped by several months with start of construction later this year and the plans have been updated
Essex County Council - M11 Junction 8 Improvements
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Land clearance has been ongoing for a few months now... but yes, no sign of anything actually being built yet
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

c2R wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 19:21 Land clearance has been ongoing for a few months now... but yes, no sign of anything actually being built yet
It only comes out to tender in May.
Jim606

Post by Jim606 »

I know it is a 'cunning plan' but, I don't know why this simple layout hasn't been considered? It could even be built as a single carriageway and perhaps even a one-way south bound road if they didn't want to built a northbound link bridge over the M11.
My proposal for an M11-A120 north-southbound link
My proposal for an M11-A120 north-southbound link
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

That's very French and easy.

So we won't do it...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:13 That's very French and easy.

So we won't do it...
That roundabout is on the internal airport road network so promoting a link from a motorway directly to a private road is not going to happen as it ignores the A120 eastbound. If it were contemplated, the roundabout would have to be adopted and the internal airport vehicles using that road would have to pay for white diesel instead of red or build another road bypassing the roundabout so costing the airport operators millions in the long term either way.
jackal

Post by jackal »

That would be great for access to the long stay car parks but a faff to get to the main part of the airport, and I doubt the dinky at-grade junctions are made for it. The north facing freeflow should be to the A120.
Jim606

Post by Jim606 »

RichardA35 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:26

So we won't do it...
That roundabout is on the internal airport road network so promoting a link from a motorway directly to a private road is not going to happen as it ignores the A120 eastbound. If it were contemplated, the roundabout would have to be adopted and the internal airport vehicles using that road would have to pay for white diesel instead of red or build another road bypassing the roundabout so costing the airport operators millions in the long term either way.
Some very good points. I have to admit this junction does annoy me with its lack of north-facing slips. I feel the long tortuous route around Birchanger Roundabout could be avoided as is represents having to double-back on yourself for those traveling north or coming off the M11 south-bound. The improvements planned by Essex CC are just 'tinkering' with the problem. Here is google snip-shot of the potential link roundabout. I didn't know it was in the ownership of BAA (Stansted Airport).
Stansted roundabout which could link to the M11
Stansted roundabout which could link to the M11
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

Jim606 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 13:23
RichardA35 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:26

So we won't do it...
Some very good points. I have to admit this junction does annoy me with its lack of north-facing slips. I feel the long tortuous route around Birchanger Roundabout could be avoided as is represents having to double-back on yourself for those traveling north or coming off the M11 south-bound. The improvements planned by Essex CC are just 'tinkering' with the problem. Here is google snip-shot of the potential link roundabout. I didn't know it was in the ownership of BAA (Stansted Airport).Strandsted potential access to M11.JPG
There's a Stansted bylaws sign here just off Priory Wood roundabout towards Round Coppice Road.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

RichardA35 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 14:13
Jim606 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 13:23
RichardA35 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:26 That roundabout is on the internal airport road network so promoting a link from a motorway directly to a private road is not going to happen as it ignores the A120 eastbound. If it were contemplated, the roundabout would have to be adopted and the internal airport vehicles using that road would have to pay for white diesel instead of red or build another road bypassing the roundabout so costing the airport operators millions in the long term either way.
Some very good points. I have to admit this junction does annoy me with its lack of north-facing slips. I feel the long tortuous route around Birchanger Roundabout could be avoided as is represents having to double-back on yourself for those traveling north or coming off the M11 south-bound. The improvements planned by Essex CC are just 'tinkering' with the problem. Here is google snip-shot of the potential link roundabout. I didn't know it was in the ownership of BAA (Stansted Airport).Strandsted potential access to M11.JPG
There's a Stansted bylaws sign here just off Priory Wood roundabout towards Round Coppice Road.
Damn their oily hides. Mind you in this era of M32 bus only slip roads I'm sure some wag would say if the slips were dedicated as part of the airport network...... :roll:
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

How about this design which connects it to the main roundabout rather than the airport one. This would require a shorter length of new road as well.
Attachments
stans.jpg
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.