Old road alignments

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Halmyre

Re: Old road alignments

Post by Halmyre »

A985 - when the Torryburn and Valleyfield by-pass was opened in 1977 it left this bit at the eastern end:

https://goo.gl/maps/23kEfrD7skJ2

and this at the western end:

https://goo.gl/maps/58YhzT2AgNS2
shampooefficient

Post by shampooefficient »

This bit of Yarm Back Lane was removed when I was a nipper (I dare not count the years... early Sabristic tendencies though!). I dimly remember being told that they'd taken the bad bend out, I had visions of them just digging the old road up in one piece and putting it on a lorry. Lego may have influenced my knowledge of road building techniques...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.55928 ... a=!3m1!1e3
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

In my humble experience few superseded roads are removed completely. Far more are required for access or left as a path. For example this road has been bypassed and left as a foot and cycle path. But turn round and the next section has been dug up and returned to fields.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

shampooefficient wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 12:23 This bit of Yarm Back Lane was removed when I was a nipper (I dare not count the years... early Sabristic tendencies though!). I dimly remember being told that they'd taken the bad bend out, I had visions of them just digging the old road up in one piece and putting it on a lorry. Lego may have influenced my knowledge of road building techniques...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.55928 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Presumbly this was when they were clearing the route for the A66 which replaced the old A67.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

On the new 60mph A4226, the old lane has been left in place as an LAR for the villages and hamlets to the west, which used to share the lane with heavy traffic to and from the A48. There are two ghost island junctions allowing access from new to old. The old lane was meant to also be a diversion from the fast link road for NMUs, with a modal filter at either end (a crap old style slalom barrier sadly) but cyclists almost exclusively ride in the shoulder of the new road. Bonkers I tell you.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 13:54 In my humble experience few superseded roads are removed completely. Far more are required for access or left as a path. For example this road has been bypassed and left as a foot and cycle path. But turn round and the next section has been dug up and returned to fields.
I love the fact that a solitary lampost is still covering where the old road has been removed!
MotorwayPlannerM21

Post by MotorwayPlannerM21 »

"All roads lead to Rome"
What about the M25?

The A205 - The road to... oh wait I should've turned right back there!
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
agc2070

Post by agc2070 »

These ones come to mind on the local section of the A20:

A20 - small remnants of the original route near Hothfield and further west, including the one by the chip shop
A20 - near Hare and Hounds pub, Potters Corner, Ashford - a loop of the old road remains - there is a further remnant east of here which is just a dead end serving properties
A20 - through Ashford - renumbered A292
A20 - north of new roundabout for junction 10A - returned to fields
A20 - loop of road to the south of existing route, west side of Newingreen
A20 - old route dead end leading to former Channel Tunnel exhibition centre south of M20, Cheriton
A20 through Cheriton / old Folkestone bypass - now B2064, A2034, A259 and A260
A20 - Folkestone to Dover - renumbered B2011
agc2070

Post by agc2070 »

Let’s have a go at the A259 now:

A259 - lane-like remnants criss-cross the route between Pevensey and western Bexhill
A259 - original route via Bexhill pre King Offa Way
A259 - small loop between Icklesham and Winchelsea
A259 - unclassified original route via Winchelsea town and stone arch
A259 - pre bypass remnants, one each side from roundabout, in Brookland
A259 - loop of road west of New Romney
A259 - loop of road by Prince of Wales pub, Hythe (one of several small loops in western Hythe)