" Gridlock " !

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Berk

Re: " Gridlock " !

Post by Berk »

Peter Freeman wrote:Is it only me, or are others also annoyed by misuse of the term 'gridlock' ? It is commonly (and often, disappointingly, even on Sabre) used as a synonym for 'heavy traffic', 'congestion' or 'queuing'.

Its original meaning was a situation of traffic immobility that required intervention to unlock it. For example, one queue of traffic is held up by another, which in turn is held up by another one, which is held up by the first-mentioned queue: there is no way for any vehicle to move. Gridlock is rare.
I disagree. If traffic is so heavy that you can't even move lanes, that shows there is something wrong. Maybe the timing intervals at the lights aren't set correctly. Maybe priority is given too equally to all arms of a roundabout, when there is a dominant flow.

Either way, it creates gridlock.
M4Simon

Post by M4Simon »

Chris5156 wrote:...It really needed a few people to give up and take the exit they were next to in order to make some space, but of course no individual driver was doing that..
There is a solution to this.

For those who don't remember The Adventure Game, get the last bit wrong and you would be evaporated!

Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

AndyB wrote:We sometimes get it in Belfast.
And yet there is no traffic anywhere else in Northern Ireland.

It's like the extremes of driving heaven and driving hell, with no middle ground.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
bothar

Post by bothar »

Owain wrote:And yet there is no traffic anywhere else in Northern Ireland.
Other places aren't very big, but manage to have significant congestion for their size, e.g. Enniskillen.
It's like the extremes of driving heaven and driving hell, with no middle ground.
Not only in driving, perhaps.
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

bothar wrote:
Owain wrote:And yet there is no traffic anywhere else in Northern Ireland.
Other places aren't very big, but manage to have significant congestion for their size, e.g. Enniskillen.
Not when I drove through there.... maybe it depends on time of day. The traffic systems of Coleraine and Apostrophederry cope very well with rush hour traffic.
bothar wrote:
Not only in driving, perhaps.
That was not why I wrote that, but it did cross my mind.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

It's worth noting that Belfast is the worst relative to off-peak - off-peak, Belfast is pretty decent to drive.
nowster
Treasurer

Re: RE: Re: " Gridlock " !

Post by nowster »

M4Simon wrote:There is a solution to this.

For those who don't remember The Adventure Game, get the last bit wrong and you would be evaporated!
Gronda gronda ragno!
M4Simon

Re: RE: Re:

Post by M4Simon »

nowster wrote:
M4Simon wrote:For those who don't remember The Adventure Game, get the last bit wrong and you would be evaporated!
Gronda gronda ragno!
Doogy rev, doogy rev, Retswon!
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

When Phase 4 of Operation Stack was bought in for the first time in 2015, closing the M20 between J9 and J10, Ashford really was gridlocked. There was so much traffic, and nowhere for it to go as all routes in and out of the town were at a standstill. It took me over an hour to escape, then another hour to get back to Folkestone. Worst journey home from work ever!

I think that's the only "true" case of gridlock I've seen, as opposed to congestion, tailbacks etc.
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
Reading

Post by Reading »

Reading can gridlock as the town centre is encircled by a ring road, if people block the junction here https://goo.gl/maps/MxmjveAmwd12, here https://goo.gl/maps/NhvPVdaaGd52 and here https://goo.gl/maps/5YYCCA3U1a32 the entire town centre blocks up VERY quickly, during a snowstorm in Dec 2008 it was taking cars up to 5 hours to move a couple of miles. Whenever it rains heavily all drivers suddenly ignore box junctions and it blocks up.

This area https://goo.gl/maps/UisRCg5GxAP2 is the worst as to make a south movement onto A33 from the GSJ on Castle street vehicles have to come down the southbound ramp but head east on A329, down another ramp to the signalised Bridge Street/Oracle/A327 roundabout, under that gsj doing a 180 degree movement which mixes with the traffic queuing for the shopping centre car park, back up the west slipramp before then heading south on the A33. That also involves crossing 8 traffic light stop lines. When it is Xmas shopping season the Oracle roundabout can become part of the queue for the car park ticket machines and then it truly does gridlock requiring them to lift the car park barriers or shut the car park to get things moving
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Reading wrote:Reading can gridlock as the town centre is encircled by a ring road, if people block the junction here https://goo.gl/maps/MxmjveAmwd12, here https://goo.gl/maps/NhvPVdaaGd52 and here https://goo.gl/maps/5YYCCA3U1a32 the entire town centre blocks up VERY quickly, during a snowstorm in Dec 2008 it was taking cars up to 5 hours to move a couple of miles. Whenever it rains heavily all drivers suddenly ignore box junctions and it blocks up.

This area https://goo.gl/maps/UisRCg5GxAP2 is the worst as to make a south movement onto A33 from the GSJ on Castle street vehicles have to come down the southbound ramp but head east on A329, down another ramp to the signalised Bridge Street/Oracle/A327 roundabout, under that gsj doing a 180 degree movement which mixes with the traffic queuing for the shopping centre car park, back up the west slipramp before then heading south on the A33. That also involves crossing 8 traffic light stop lines. When it is Xmas shopping season the Oracle roundabout can become part of the queue for the car park ticket machines and then it truly does gridlock requiring them to lift the car park barriers or shut the car park to get things moving
In that case the car park operator, who I guess could be the council, should employ car park marshals that have to come out onto the roundabout and enforce the yellow box junction. They would also be able to close the car park if things got difficult. They would also be able to pass numberplates of vehicles that attempt to break YBJ rules on to the police.
Maybe the council would make enough in fines to improve the situation, then again maybe not.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Reading

Post by Reading »

lotrjw wrote:
Reading wrote:Reading can gridlock as the town centre is encircled by a ring road, if people block the junction here https://goo.gl/maps/MxmjveAmwd12, here https://goo.gl/maps/NhvPVdaaGd52 and here https://goo.gl/maps/5YYCCA3U1a32 the entire town centre blocks up VERY quickly, during a snowstorm in Dec 2008 it was taking cars up to 5 hours to move a couple of miles. Whenever it rains heavily all drivers suddenly ignore box junctions and it blocks up.

In that case the car park operator, who I guess could be the council, should employ car park marshals that have to come out onto the roundabout and enforce the yellow box junction. They would also be able to close the car park if things got difficult. They would also be able to pass numberplates of vehicles that attempt to break YBJ rules on to the police.
Maybe the council would make enough in fines to improve the situation, then again maybe not.
Not run by council it is a private shopping centre owned by I think Hammerson estates, I remember saying it would be an issue at a transport meeting 20 years ago but was told careful traffic light sequencing would ensure it never happened. As the council ar enow 50m up that road they are well aware of the issue but it suits there anti car policy. There was a plan a few years back to make the IDR (inner distribution road) One way, but then they decided that it should be anti clockwise to allow decking over of an area, but that created loads of horrible right hand movements - it was even discussed here - viewtopic.php?t=17583
Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman »

Berk wrote:
Peter Freeman wrote:Is it only me, or are others also annoyed by misuse of the term 'gridlock' ? It is commonly (and often, disappointingly, even on Sabre) used as a synonym for 'heavy traffic', 'congestion' or 'queuing'.

Its original meaning was a situation of traffic immobility that required intervention to unlock it. For example, one queue of traffic is held up by another, which in turn is held up by another one, which is held up by the first-mentioned queue: there is no way for any vehicle to move. Gridlock is rare.
I disagree. If traffic is so heavy that you can't even move lanes, that shows there is something wrong. Maybe the timing intervals at the lights aren't set correctly. Maybe priority is given too equally to all arms of a roundabout, when there is a dominant flow.

Either way, it creates gridlock.
I'm not sure which part of the quotation you disagree with ...

Anyway, what you describe is, I think, congestion but not gridlock: that's the misusage that I highlighted. If drivers obey YBJ and roundabout protocols (signalised or unsignalised roundabouts), then true gridlock should not occur.
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

I agree with the complaint about the misuse of the term, true gridlock is rare. I would, however, use the term to describe the short term events where back up of traffic from a temporary blockage causes other routes to lock up.

The sort of locking mentioned above where pairs of traffic calming features cause each other to lock can often be cleared by drivers simply closing up the gaps in the queues but the one with half a car length empty in front of his bonnet is usually the numpty in a total trance.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Piatkow wrote:I agree with the complaint about the misuse of the term, true gridlock is rare. I would, however, use the term to describe the short term events where back up of traffic from a temporary blockage causes other routes to lock up.

The sort of locking mentioned above where pairs of traffic calming features cause each other to lock can often be cleared by drivers simply closing up the gaps in the queues but the one with half a car length empty in front of his bonnet is usually the numpty in a total trance.
That was the sort of situation I was alluding to here. Drivers should not give way when the chicane is on the other side of the road; but for some reason during the school run, when traffic is moving slowly, they think they should.

Bearing in mind most traffic is heading south in this case, it's fairly packed, but drivers see the oncomer, give way and leave lots of room - allowing the oncomer to pass round the chicane, instead of giving way to them.

With all the gaps being left, it doesn't take many oncomers to make southbound traffic back up. Sometimes up to a mile.
A229

Post by A229 »

I remember that Maidstone locked up badly when the M20 was closed for many hours back in 2002. I remember the date because we were about to move house and the lady who was due to quote for furniture removals found the traffic so bad that she had to reschedule.

Perhaps not gridlock in the classic sense, but many roundabouts and junctions were blocked off by stationary traffic
Berk

Post by Berk »

A229 wrote:I remember that Maidstone locked up badly when the M20 was closed for many hours back in 2002. I remember the date because we were about to move house and the lady who was due to quote for furniture removals found the traffic so bad that she had to reschedule.

Perhaps not gridlock in the classic sense, but many roundabouts and junctions were blocked off by stationary traffic
See, to me that is gridlock. Because you can't move. And if you can't even position yourself towards the nearest exit - that's unacceptable.

Last year when I went to Brighton, the traffic was so bad westbound I just had enough and left a few junctions early. I continued down the A24, but that was much better. At least it was free-flowing.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

A timely thread. I had voted for M25 J28 (A12) on the "Next stacked roundabout to be upgraded" thread, and then yesterday morning (3 May) a site meeting in Essex was grossly disrupted because a classic Gridlock had occurred, again, on the signalled roundabout at this junction. Looking at Google Maps traffic (because I had escaped it and was waiting for the others) traffic was backed up for several miles on all approaches, the M25 eastbound back to the M11, M25 westbound back to Lakeside, the A12 halfway back to Chelmsford, etc. Both colleagues and the client were stuck in it, and I ended up being co-ordinator of the issue.

One colleague who was late anyway (as ever .... :) ) on M25 eastbound I was able to divert, by phone, via M11 northbound, thence A414 etc.

The jammed traffic typically makes a complete circle in all lanes round the roundabout, and then backs up all the ramps and disrupts/jams the mainlines so through traffic cannot reach the freeflow overpass etc. It's well known across Essex for this happening regularly.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

WHBM wrote:A timely thread. I had voted for M25 J28 (A12) on the "Next stacked roundabout to be upgraded" thread, and then yesterday morning (3 May) a site meeting in Essex was grossly disrupted because a classic Gridlock had occurred, again, on the signalled roundabout at this junction. Looking at Google Maps traffic (because I had escaped it and was waiting for the others) traffic was backed up for several miles on all approaches, the M25 eastbound back to the M11, M25 westbound back to Lakeside, the A12 halfway back to Chelmsford, etc. Both colleagues and the client were stuck in it, and I ended up being co-ordinator of the issue.

One colleague who was late anyway (as ever .... :) ) on M25 eastbound I was able to divert, by phone, via M11 northbound, thence A414 etc.

The jammed traffic typically makes a complete circle in all lanes round the roundabout, and then backs up all the ramps and disrupts/jams the mainlines so through traffic cannot reach the freeflow overpass etc. It's well known across Essex for this happening regularly.
WOW just WOW and HE dont want to fix it?
First I would put in left filter lanes on three of the corners of the roundabout at least.
Obviously the corner with the services and the A1023 cant have it unfortunately but there could be left filters into the services and the A1023 at least. All of that could be done without structural alterations to the roundabout, eg just painting new markings!
Second a roundabout at the entrance to the services on the A1023, that would mean people could turn around at the roundabout if they are coming from the A12 westbound to M25 southbound.
At that point only right hand movements would need to be on the main roundabout.

Then when there was more money available a freeflow left turn from the A12 westbound to the M25 southbound bridge over the A1023.

After that right turn freeflow bridges going M25S-A12W, A12W-M25N, M25N-A12E and A12E-M25S, which would leave the services and A1023 accessible from the main roundabout only, so very limited traffic left.

Even if the right hand movements were on the roundabout still though, thats half of the movements gone and should allow better flow.

A 5 level stacked junction would be quite cool though! I can imagine that with the right hand movements 2 dual carriageway bridges could be built across the junction, one carrying the A12W-M25N and the A12E-M25S movements, the other carrying the M25S-A12W and the M25N-A12E movements.

Of course they could always close the A1023 entrance to the main roundabout and make that join the A12 directly going east for local traffic. Then get the service operator to pay for the bridge links to make their services link to more than just the westbound A12 and the southbound M25, if they want to link directly to the other carriageways. That would mean the main roundabout would only need to deal with the M25 and A12 right hand movements as the left hand ones would all be able to be left filter lanes.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
jackal

Post by jackal »